Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-17-2016, 09:01 PM   #1

Problem with k1000

Hey all, I just recently purchased a Pentax k1000, the battery is worn out and I'll get a replacement soon, the film appears to loaded correctly but the counter is stuck at the beginning. I know the rest of the camera can still function without a battery and if the counter is no longer working but my question is, how do I know if it is taking pictures? is there any other way to tell besides the counter? I'd feel stupid if I thought I was taking pictures and really wasnt

03-18-2016, 12:33 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi

If you advance the film with the lever the rewind knob should turn showing that that the canister's axle is revolving as the film is rolled out. You should also see it quite clearly when you load the film that the film advance lever advance the film with the sprockets engaged

If you have a 24 or 36 shot film and you keep on going after that many shots, you might have a problem....

Cheers and enjoy
03-18-2016, 01:24 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Basie Quote
Hi

If you advance the film with the lever the rewind knob should turn showing that that the canister's axle is revolving as the film is rolled out. You should also see it quite clearly when you load the film that the film advance lever advance the film with the sprockets engaged

If you have a 24 or 36 shot film and you keep on going after that many shots, you might have a problem....

Cheers and enjoy
Ensure the film moves with the sprockets by taking up the usual slack in the film canister and rotating the rewind * gently * clockwise so your unexposed film is firmly held in place.

As you move to cock the shutter and advance the film, check the rewind knob is moving anti-clockwise at the same time.

This is your main cue for checking the film is being wound without opening the back of the camera.
03-18-2016, 06:33 AM   #4

Original Poster
Yes the rewind is moving and the film seems to be running through just fine,

So am I just to count how many snaps I have left on my film and trust it's taking the pictures?

Also the shutter and just about everything else appears to be working fine.

03-18-2016, 08:00 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by RTG2000 Quote
Yes the rewind is moving and the film seems to be running through just fine,

So am I just to count how many snaps I have left on my film and trust it's taking the pictures?

Also the shutter and just about everything else appears to be working fine.

You should be able to see the shutter move if you try to take a shot with the back open and no film in it?
03-18-2016, 08:06 AM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

Just so you know, too many film users put way too much faith in the frame counter. It's only a useful little gadget, but it doesn't actually do anything except keep count of the number of times you wind.

For instance, I see many film beginners fail to load their camera properly and then end up with a blank film. Their first comment is "but the frame counter was going up". I then show them that the frame counter will still count, even without a film in the camera - meaning that it doesn't really show you whether the film is advancing or not.

In cameras like the K1000, the rewind knob is your best friend. Take the slack out of it, and witness it revolving as you wind your first shots past the leader. If it turns counter-clockwise, then you're good.

As for worrying about the frame counter not working, all you have to do is keep shooting until the film wind lever stops - then you're out of film. If you brute force it, you could snap the film, or strip the drivetrain gearing - but why on earth would anyone want to brute force a precision instrument like an SLR? (insert your witty comment here!)
03-18-2016, 08:46 AM   #7

You don't need to count the frames. When the film advance lever resists the pressure of your thumb, you're out of film. Rewind.

03-18-2016, 10:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Rewind knob, as has been said. Also, the counter isn't very important unless you leave film in the camera for long periods, if you're shooting fast (2-3 rolls a shoot) you'll be able to keep an approximate mental count.
I used to be a slave to the counter, then I started loading up bulk film (by hand) and the varied roll lengths finally made me realize it doesn't matter. If you're about to shoot something important and you've already burned most of the previous roll just throw in a new one. If you have film left, don't.

PS - Eric Hendrickson could fix your frame counter, and any other quibbles, if the camera is destined to be a heavy user.
03-20-2016, 06:26 PM   #9
dmc
Forum Member

Hah, I've been shooting an MX for years with no functioning film counter. Don't worry, it lets you know when you are at the end of the roll. Just don't force things!
03-20-2016, 06:50 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I still use older Pentax and other cameras that have manual-resetting frame counters, and usually forget to reset them to zero. Plus, I often bulk load odd length rolls that might have as few as 12 shots. Indeed, just learn the feel for when the film reaches the end.
On rare occasions a bulk-loaded roll may come off the cassette spool at the end, but you feel that too. I just use a changing bag in that case to load right on a developing reel.
As said, just don't use force that could tear out the sprocket holes and get film chips into the shutter mechanism. That can really mess thing up.