Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2008, 08:09 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
HELP!!!! ME gone wrong!

Right I had a Pentax ME with some lenses, bought a digital so gave the ME to my Girlfriend....no problemo

one film fine all ok good pictures....
second film... uh oh! of the 24 two came out....one white and one black....

What happened?
Checked the battery and its ok and mettering is all worrking...

any ideas?

07-09-2008, 08:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suspect that the film wasn't advancing. I always tightened the film on the take up lever and checked to feel that the film was tight. Also watch the winder knob to see that it turns as the film is advancing. The shot counter will still count even if the film isn't moving. I suspect the white frame is 24 shots on the same spot.
07-09-2008, 08:28 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
that is highly possible Zack.....
but I am not so sure...I have loaded the film into the loads of time and never before had this....
but I do not dispute you at all!

Oh well another film and try again....

Shame coz she had some nice shots of kite surfers too and ST Micheals mount here in cornwall
07-09-2008, 08:30 AM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had it happen before. It slips on the spool and then just sits there. Before loading more film. Check the functions at various shutter speeds with the back open to be sure the shutter is firing fine at fast and slow speeds.

07-09-2008, 08:37 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I will try the shutter but I think you are correct with the film slipping....
I will have to check all those little white film gripping pins on the spool... one may be broken or something....

shame as she was looking forward to those prints too...
07-09-2008, 09:57 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
Yup, been there, done that, in fact I have a real horror story about it and a wedding I shot.

Bottom line: always check to make sure the film advance indicator is, well, indicating!
07-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

The little window on the back of the camera beneath the film advance lever has a red-and-white indicator that moves only when the film does. If it ain't moving, the film ain't moving.
07-09-2008, 09:08 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yep, that happened to me two weeks ago and boy was I upset. Those where the best images I ever took that I never took.

07-10-2008, 06:07 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Yes, been there done that... luckily after a while I noticed the rewind crank wasn't turning when I advanced the film. But still.

My saddest sob story: the second roll through my Retina (these things happen with the second roll: now I'm relaxed and have forgotten the bits I was careful about on the first) was chock full of what I thought excellent street photos in NYC. I finished the roll and for some stupid reason decided to rewind on the train. Pushed the button on the bottom... and started winding. The film wasn't released, and before I knew what I'd done I'd shattered the film.