Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2016, 12:30 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I'm waiting for leopard skin, to match my brand new pillbox hat.

Chris
Love a bit of Dylan. ☺

03-29-2016, 06:14 PM - 2 Likes   #17
Veteran Member

A while back, I recovered my Yashica D with wood panels. I think it turned out much more interesting than leather.

03-29-2016, 07:13 PM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by 45 Mike Quote
A while back, I recovered my Yashica D with wood panels. I think it turned out much more interesting than leather.

Nice work!!! Is that wood veneer?
03-29-2016, 10:21 PM   #19

Original Poster
Very Cool!

03-30-2016, 07:57 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sandbasser Quote
Nice work!!! Is that wood veneer?
It is real black walnut veneer bonded to paper backing, yes.

Thanks, yes it is rather unique.
05-14-2016, 08:44 AM   #21

Was just looking for new covers for my old film SLRs and found this:

Halcyon Cameras

These guys have a bunch of options for custom leather skins (some pretty nice!) and the prices seem reasonable. They also do light seals, but don't seem to sell DYI kits - you would have to send your camera in.
05-14-2016, 08:07 PM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
You are literally the first person I've heard of in the past two years that has actually taken delivery of anything.
I used them about 12 months ago to reskin my M2. Good quality product and timely delivery - no drama for me...

05-15-2016, 08:40 AM   #23
Veteran Member

I reskinned my Zenobia 645 with Mahogany wood as well.

05-15-2016, 09:45 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by genesmasher Quote

Nice custom coverings, but many of our members wouldn't be willing to pay that much - for a whole camera!

Chris
05-15-2016, 10:52 PM   #25

Nice custom coverings, but many of our members wouldn't be willing to pay that much - for a whole camera!

Chris
Yes, they sell cameras, but also re-cover your own for $40. Considering labor to make the skin and free return shipping (~$15?), the cost is not unreasonable, I think.
05-16-2016, 01:37 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My comment was really more about the "thriftiness" and "frugality"
of some of our members than the price of custom leather covers.

Chris
05-16-2016, 11:32 AM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just wanted to chime in -- I have reskinned two cameras in the last year. A Rolleiflex Automat and a Pentax K2. Both used leather from CameraLeather.com. Both arrived promptly, with email confirmations. I have no reservations ordering again.

I will say both cameras got modestly-priced black leathers, which I am sure are easier to source and keep in stock.
05-16-2016, 04:24 PM   #28

Chris
Got ya. I looked at CameraLeather pricing for genuine leather kits for SLR's - they are $34-48 plus shipping. Not that cheap... Leatherette is less expensive, of course, but the choices are limited. They seem to have a lot of dead links on the website, kinda hard to pull the trigger on something you can't really see from a tiny thumbnail image. Halcyon site seems brand new in comparison, photos are nice.

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Just wanted to chime in -- I have reskinned two cameras in the last year. A Rolleiflex Automat and a Pentax K2. Both used leather from CameraLeather.com. Both arrived promptly, with email confirmations. I have no reservations ordering again.

I will say both cameras got modestly-priced black leathers, which I am sure are easier to source and keep in stock.
Do they use laser to cut their kits, can you tell - how did the edges look? What sort of adhesive backing and overall thickness? I am sure most people don't really care that much, just curious.
05-17-2016, 02:13 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Chris
Hi Chris

If it does not show on the negative do I mind missing covering, it is not like a light leak from missing foam light seal, which might annoy?

Noel
05-17-2016, 08:29 AM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Chris
I am willing to admit to being a few stops beyond "frugal", bordering on "stingy", though I don't buy cheap stuff. Re-skinning a camera is not hard, assuming that the replacement covering is precision cut and true to the original. The most involved part is removing the old covering and preparing the surface for the new stuff.

Cameraleather.com sells a great product and the list of cameras they support is extensive. They are not cheap, but probably better (for many cameras) than attempting to cut the covering yourself. All that being said, I have had good luck with Aki-Asahi in Japan. Their list of supported vintage cameras is not as extensive as Cameraleather, but their quality is high and prices are quite reasonable. They even include a second set of "ugly"* pieces so you can do a practice run. FWIW, they don't do exotic leathers...no reptile stuff. Instead of lizard, theirs is embossed cowhide. Prices are typically less than $25 USD including first-class mail shipping from Japan.

Aki-Asahi Camera Coverings

Steve

(...no relation to Aki-Asahi other than as a happy customer...)

* The last kit I bought was black lizard embossed for my Zorki 4K ($14 + $4 shipping). The "ugly" practice pieces (full kit) were a sharkskin-like material similar to early Pentax. Which to use...which to use...

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-17-2016 at 09:45 PM.