Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2016, 10:47 AM   #1

"Re-Skinning" Pentax SLR's

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi All,

I have an all black MV, and a "chrome" and black ME, both of which I love. Their skins are both fine, but I'd like to re-skin them in leather as a "project" - Tan for the ME, and maybe something a little more radical for the MV? I've been to CameraLeather.com Custom camera leather and leatherette, but their Pentax pages appear to be inaccessible, and it looks like it hasn't been updated in a while.

So ... does anyone have any templates I could use to cut my own leather? I'd love to see some that you guys have done.

David

03-26-2016, 03:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Do not send a penny to cameraleather.com, it hasn't been functioning in years. They'll take your PayPal payment, but you'll never get the leather.
03-26-2016, 03:06 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
At Camera leather, go to the Ordering Page
cameraleather.com Online Ordering Page
Just describe the camera model and select the material. I did that with an early Yashica tlr, just getting a stock looking synthetic, and it was shipped in about 24 hours. Fit perfect.
That was last month.
All the complaints I've read about poor communication and service have been exotic leathers, so email the first if you want something special.
I've also had great luck with AkiAsahi in Japan,but they seem to have dropped many older models that are not collector type.
03-26-2016, 03:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Was this within the last two years? Seriously, every single person I know who have gone through them have never received anything (and they do not communicate at all). It is not a functioning business. It is a scam.

03-26-2016, 03:27 PM   #5
Forum Member

If you strip the existing leatherette off carefully you can use it as a template for the new skin.
03-26-2016, 04:49 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery | Albums
M42 ASAHI PENTAX SPOTMATIC pink rosa Rindsleder PINK GENUINE LEATHER LIZARDOPTIC | eBay

they dont sell leather seperately but they are reskinng old pentax cameras, perhaps you can work something out with them, good luck!
03-26-2016, 05:07 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
Was this within the last two years? Seriously, every single person I know who have gone through them have never received anything (and they do not communicate at all). It is not a functioning business. It is a scam.
Yes, about a month ago. I got excellent service, and would not hesitate to use him again. But I don't care for exotic or flashy looks, just as close to restoration as I can get.

03-26-2016, 05:44 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
Yes, about a month ago. I got excellent service, and would not hesitate to use him again. But I don't care for exotic or flashy looks, just as close to restoration as I can get.
You are literally the first person I've heard of in the past two years that has actually taken delivery of anything. The usual story (and my own personal experience) was that you were told there was a 3 month wait time, and then nothing. Coincidentally after 3 months you can't get your money back from PayPal, and there was no way to contact anyone there at all. So far, that's now 10 against 1 that cameraleather is a scam.
03-26-2016, 08:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have ordered from Cameraleather seven times over the passed three years. I have always received an excellent product promptly.
03-26-2016, 09:05 PM   #10

I order some leather from cameraleather.com last month and it came promptly. I had no issues. The site is a bit of a head scratcher at first but it works.
03-27-2016, 12:08 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for all the advice. Yes - I watched a video on YouTube of a guy re-skinning his camera, whereby he peeled the old skin off and used it to make a template. I hadn't thought about doing it, but I saw a seller on EBay was doing it, and they looked really smart, so I thought I'd have a go:

lightburnphoto | eBay

If I could find the right colour (some of the tan ones on that page look nice), I'm definitely doing it
03-27-2016, 01:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I can see why you want to do this - they sure look good. Shame leather isn't an option on DSLRs
03-27-2016, 02:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
I can see why you want to do this - they sure look good. Shame leather isn't an option on DSLRs
If you have a problem you could buy a film SLR?
Lock it away so that no one knows...
03-28-2016, 10:46 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
If you have a problem you could buy a film SLR?
Lock it away so that no one knows...
I've decided to wait and see if the winder I've just bought for my MV fits okay, and also if the first roll I'm putting through my ME turns out okay. I've seen some gorgeous red & black snakeskin and yellow leather on EBay, which I'll get if everything turns out OK. On another note - I've seen leather dyes too - which look like a viable alternative, as both camera's current coverings are in good condition.
03-28-2016, 11:02 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm waiting for leopard skin, to match my brand new pillbox hat.

Chris