Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2016, 01:00 PM   #1

ASAHI Pentax S

It came to my hands a couple days ago a asahi pentax S, don't know if is working or not as didn't take it yet to a place to check it out. for some research I did on it its a rare model. im wating on a guy to do an appraisal to it.
does anyone knows whats the estimated value of them?
thanks

03-28-2016, 01:07 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As it says in the Sticky, General Talk is not for photography discussions. Moved to proper forum.
03-28-2016, 01:12 PM   #3

Original Poster
sorry about that...
thanks
03-28-2016, 01:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You might look here: Pentax M42 Screwmount Film SLRs - Pentax Pentax Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

03-28-2016, 01:23 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Fredviveiros Quote
It came to my hands a couple days ago a asahi pentax S, don't know if is working or not as didn't take it yet to a place to check it out. for some research I did on it its a rare model. im wating on a guy to do an appraisal to it.
does anyone knows whats the estimated value of them?
thanks
You can read more about the S as well as other variants of the camera here:
Pentax S (Tower 26) - Pentax M42 Screwmount Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Pentax M42 Screwmount Film SLRs - Pentax Pentax Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

If you actually have the rare S that was limited to around 4000 units, then it should have an "S" on the top plate, just below the serial number, as shown in the supersized photos on the database page above.

If it's in working order and in good cosmetic condition, I'd estimate its value between $400 and $700, and possibly more if you also have a rare lens. If it's any of the more common S models, however, it wouldn't be worth much in comparison (<$100).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No reviews, no sales for the S / Tower 26. Nothing on eBay but a Tower 23 (m37) at $454 w/ lens and a bunch of S1 and S1a.

I just paid $395AUD ($298USD) for a spotless K with Zebra AT55/1.8, so it is worth more than USD $300, for sure.
03-28-2016, 02:40 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Condition and accessories are key. Can you post pics?

03-28-2016, 07:57 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You can read more about the S as well as other variants of the camera here:
Pentax S (Tower 26) - Pentax M42 Screwmount Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Pentax M42 Screwmount Film SLRs - Pentax Pentax Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

If you actually have the rare S that was limited to around 4000 units, then it should have an "S" on the top plate, just below the serial number, as shown in the supersized photos on the database page above.

If it's in working order and in good cosmetic condition, I'd estimate its value between $400 and $700, and possibly more if you also have a rare lens. If it's any of the more common S models, however, it wouldn't be worth much in comparison (<$100).
Yup it says "S" on top # 170016
03-28-2016, 07:58 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Condition and accessories are key. Can you post pics?
I'm trying to upload photos but don't know how... She's on eBay had a offer for $2500 for it... All the photos r there.
Thanks
03-28-2016, 07:59 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
No reviews, no sales for the S / Tower 26. Nothing on eBay but a Tower 23 (m37) at $454 w/ lens and a bunch of S1 and S1a.

I just paid $395AUD ($298USD) for a spotless K with Zebra AT55/1.8, so it is worth more than USD $300, for sure.
Yup it's more as had offer for $2500 on eBay...
03-28-2016, 08:42 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I'm trying to upload photos but don't know how... She's on eBay had a offer for $2500 for it... All the photos r there.
Thanks
Click on "manage attachments" below the editor

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-28-2016, 09:40 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Click on "manage attachments" below the editor
was trying from my phone... tomorrow will upload to the computer to try. but again shes on ebay with lots of photos
thanks
03-28-2016, 09:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Collectiblend.com estimates the S at being between $300 and $800 for the body, although they also rate the value accuracy as low to medium. The black model is estimated at up to $1,300.....
03-29-2016, 01:47 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
Collectiblend.com estimates the S at being between $300 and $800 for the body, although they also rate the value accuracy as low to medium. The black model is estimated at up to $1,300.....
Collectiblend require a certain number of sold items for the price estimates to work. Prices for S and Ap and the K really fluctuates. A nice chrome S was sold for AU $710 with Takumar 55mm f2.2 recently. The O P is listing his S on ebay for 3250 cad, chrome body with SMC Takumar 55f2. That is not the correct lens. There is reference to A P being appraised at 3800 to 4000 USD. Which would be one 0 to much.
03-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

was trying from my phone... tomorrow will upload to the computer to try. but again shes on ebay with lots of photos
thanks
From your phone you would either have to use the full site to be able to upload, or the mobile app Tapatalk.

Adam