Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2016, 01:00 PM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 7
ASAHI Pentax S

It came to my hands a couple days ago a asahi pentax S, don't know if is working or not as didn't take it yet to a place to check it out. for some research I did on it its a rare model. im wating on a guy to do an appraisal to it.
does anyone knows whats the estimated value of them?
thanks

03-28-2016, 01:07 PM   #2
Moderator
Site Supporter
photolady95's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Cruising PentaxForums and watching your back.
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,891
As it says in the Sticky, General Talk is not for photography discussions. Moved to proper forum.
03-28-2016, 01:12 PM   #3
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 7
Original Poster
sorry about that...
thanks
03-28-2016, 01:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,287
You might look here: Pentax M42 Screwmount Film SLRs - Pentax Pentax Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

03-28-2016, 01:23 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,958
QuoteOriginally posted by Fredviveiros Quote
It came to my hands a couple days ago a asahi pentax S, don't know if is working or not as didn't take it yet to a place to check it out. for some research I did on it its a rare model. im wating on a guy to do an appraisal to it.
does anyone knows whats the estimated value of them?
thanks
You can read more about the S as well as other variants of the camera here:
Pentax S (Tower 26) - Pentax M42 Screwmount Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Pentax M42 Screwmount Film SLRs - Pentax Pentax Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

If you actually have the rare S that was limited to around 4000 units, then it should have an "S" on the top plate, just below the serial number, as shown in the supersized photos on the database page above.

If it's in working order and in good cosmetic condition, I'd estimate its value between $400 and $700, and possibly more if you also have a rare lens. If it's any of the more common S models, however, it wouldn't be worth much in comparison (<$100).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-28-2016, 01:25 PM   #6
Lens Buying Addict
monochrome's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kirkwood (St. Louis) MO
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 19,456
No reviews, no sales for the S / Tower 26. Nothing on eBay but a Tower 23 (m37) at $454 w/ lens and a bunch of S1 and S1a.

I just paid $395AUD ($298USD) for a spotless K with Zebra AT55/1.8, so it is worth more than USD $300, for sure.
03-28-2016, 02:40 PM   #7
Pentaxian




Join Date: May 2011
Location: Santa Cruz, CA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,928
Condition and accessories are key. Can you post pics?
03-28-2016, 07:57 PM   #8
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 7
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
You can read more about the S as well as other variants of the camera here:
Pentax S (Tower 26) - Pentax M42 Screwmount Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

Pentax M42 Screwmount Film SLRs - Pentax Pentax Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

If you actually have the rare S that was limited to around 4000 units, then it should have an "S" on the top plate, just below the serial number, as shown in the supersized photos on the database page above.

If it's in working order and in good cosmetic condition, I'd estimate its value between $400 and $700, and possibly more if you also have a rare lens. If it's any of the more common S models, however, it wouldn't be worth much in comparison (<$100).
Yup it says "S" on top # 170016

03-28-2016, 07:58 PM   #9
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 7
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Condition and accessories are key. Can you post pics?
I'm trying to upload photos but don't know how... She's on eBay had a offer for $2500 for it... All the photos r there.
Thanks
03-28-2016, 07:59 PM   #10
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 7
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
No reviews, no sales for the S / Tower 26. Nothing on eBay but a Tower 23 (m37) at $454 w/ lens and a bunch of S1 and S1a.

I just paid $395AUD ($298USD) for a spotless K with Zebra AT55/1.8, so it is worth more than USD $300, for sure.
Yup it's more as had offer for $2500 on eBay...
03-28-2016, 08:42 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,958
QuoteOriginally posted by Fredviveiros Quote
I'm trying to upload photos but don't know how... She's on eBay had a offer for $2500 for it... All the photos r there.
Thanks
Click on "manage attachments" below the editor

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

03-28-2016, 09:40 PM   #12
New Member




Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 7
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Click on "manage attachments" below the editor
was trying from my phone... tomorrow will upload to the computer to try. but again shes on ebay with lots of photos
thanks
03-28-2016, 09:49 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
SteveM's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Vancouver Island, BC, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,295
Collectiblend.com estimates the S at being between $300 and $800 for the body, although they also rate the value accuracy as low to medium. The black model is estimated at up to $1,300.....
03-29-2016, 01:47 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Baard-Einar's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Oslo
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 508
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveM Quote
Collectiblend.com estimates the S at being between $300 and $800 for the body, although they also rate the value accuracy as low to medium. The black model is estimated at up to $1,300.....
Collectiblend require a certain number of sold items for the price estimates to work. Prices for S and Ap and the K really fluctuates. A nice chrome S was sold for AU $710 with Takumar 55mm f2.2 recently. The O P is listing his S on ebay for 3250 cad, chrome body with SMC Takumar 55f2. That is not the correct lens. There is reference to A P being appraised at 3800 to 4000 USD. Which would be one 0 to much.
03-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,958
QuoteOriginally posted by Fredviveiros Quote
was trying from my phone... tomorrow will upload to the computer to try. but again shes on ebay with lots of photos
thanks
From your phone you would either have to use the full site to be able to upload, or the mobile app Tapatalk.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
asahi, asahi pentax, pentax
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Asahi S-M-C Takumar M42 1:4 200 prime lens Saffron Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 3 02-29-2016 10:15 AM
S-M-C Takumar 50/1.4 may not clear the mirror on early Asahi Pentax bodies? bwDraco Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 2 06-29-2015 09:50 AM
Asahi Pentax hollywood6 Welcomes and Introductions 7 11-18-2014 11:58 AM
1958 Asahi Pentax "S" with a Tak 55/1.8 on the bay SteveM Pentax Price Watch 3 01-06-2012 11:08 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:24 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top