Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2016, 03:13 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Too many cameras - which two to keep?

I have more cameras and want to sell off a few. I just don’t know which.

Manual focus: Pentax ME, ME Super and MX. Which two should I sell and why?

Autofocus: Pentax MZ-50 and MZ-5N. Which one should I sell and why?

Last edited by Simen1; 04-03-2016 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Spelling
04-03-2016, 03:29 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

Keep the broomstick. Sell the hat.
04-03-2016, 03:34 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manual focus - it depends on how much you trust the ME Super's electronics. If you trust them, ditch the ME and the MX - the ME Super combines the essential functions of both. If you want full redundancy when the batteries die, keep the MX.

Autofocus - can't help, as I don't own one. Keep the one with the larger feature set would be my best guess. I can't remember if the MX50 is one of the models that won't work with certain lenses. If it is, that's the one to ditch.
04-03-2016, 04:34 AM - 1 Like   #4

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HopelessTogger Quote
Keep the broomstick. Sell the hat.
Amusing but cruel, bearing in mind that Simen 1 is from Norway then English is probably not his native language and I daresay his english is better than your norwegian.

For Simen 1's benefit the title should read -- Too many cameras, which two to keep.

04-03-2016, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ray-uk Quote
Amusing but cruel, bearing in mind that Simen 1 is from Norway then English is probably not his native language and I daresay his english is better than your norwegian.

For Simen 1's benefit the title should read -- Too many cameras, which two to keep.
His English is better than my English.
04-03-2016, 05:14 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Keep the ME Super and the MZ-5N.
ME Super because it is a classic, one of those models that brought Pentax to stardom. It features aperture priority as well as manual exposure. A good basic manual film SLR with some added features. A very nice package.

MZ-5N because this too is a classic and because I have it also. This was the follow up to the award winning camera of the year MZ-5, with added features such as depth-of-field preview. A great camera in it's days with an excellent metering system.

With MX-50 I presume you mean the MZ-50, in the US called ZX-50. Now this was a less advanced model with pentamirror box instead of the pentaprism viewfinder in the MZ-5, and it has a limited backwards compatibility with older pure mechanical manual lenses. It lacks many of the features found in the MZ-5 and has a simpler metering system. Sure it was a fun and enjoyable entry level camera in it's days and quite popular, but the MZ-5 is simply a better camera.
04-03-2016, 06:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Simen1 Quote

Autofocus: Pentax MX-50 and MZ-5N. Which one should I sell and why?
Buy a few more should make choice of which to sell easier.

04-03-2016, 06:48 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I would keep the MX... as it's mechanical, tried and tested and will last for years, just like my LXs have.

Autofocus... sorry no advice here, I'm still a strictly Pentax manual man, so I've no experience of this auto malarky.
04-03-2016, 07:03 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No, no, no. your question should be:
I have these, which ones next?

I think you mean MZ-50 or ZX-50. Assuming they are both in similar condition, I would keep the 5N as it has more features than the 50.
Manual focus, again, assuming similar condition, you need to decide if aperture priority autoexposure is critical for you. I have a soft spot for the MX but the ME Super should be better overall.

Thanks,
04-03-2016, 07:13 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Definitely sell the ME. Unless you have found that the ME Super's handling and features really resonate with you, I would keep the MX over the ME Super. The reasoning is based on the robustness and serviceability of the MX body. Or keep both with one being the backup for the other.

As for the AF stuff...I have never shot with a Pentax AF film camera and have no interest except maybe a MZ-S.

Steve
04-03-2016, 12:28 PM   #11

I have never owned the MX, but I will never get rid of my ME Super which I bought in the 80's. The MZ-5N is fantastic. I replaced mine with the MZ-S.
Keep the ME Super and MZ-5N!
04-03-2016, 12:55 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If I had to I would choose the MX and MZ-50. MX because it is mechanical, MZ-50 for the features.

I have an MX and MZ-S. I kept my MESuper, which I bought new, for sentimental reasons but I never use it.
04-03-2016, 01:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks for the often expensive service of human spell check!

It seems most people agree I should sell the ME, and that sounds reasonable. Its more complicated between the ME super and the MX so I will keep both for now.

The AF cameras have many details that differ, and I can't make up my mind just yet.
04-04-2016, 01:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Autofocus: Pentax MZ-50 and MZ-5N. Which one should I sell and why?
You need to think of an SP or earlier non metered camera with a single coated lens.
To shoot period shots of Scan... before it all dissappears.
04-04-2016, 02:16 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd keep the MX out of that lot. I might have even preferred that to my LX.
Neither of those AF bodies appeal frankly. The PZ-1 offers aperture control for DA lenses, so it won over my (no longer mine) MZ-S.