Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2016, 07:32 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K1000 Prism Interchangability and other questions

I recently purchased a lot of Pentax stuff that included a K1000 film camera.

The camera on the outside looks like its in decent shape with only a few nicks and scrapes here and there, but found that there are issues with the prism desilvering, and the foam in the mirror box and grooves on the back where the film door seats, has degraded and become very stick and nasty.

So here are my questions,

1. Finding a K1000 that I can use the prism off of and not feel to guilty about it has been hard. Are there other models that have a prism that is interchangeable with the K1000 (perhaps an ME super or the like?)

2. I assume the foam acts as a light seal for both film door and the mirror box when the mirror flips up is this correct and if so how do I replace it?

This is the first time I have attempted any type of repairs so any insight in appreciated.

Last edited by W.j.christy; 04-07-2016 at 07:33 AM. Reason: poor grammer....
04-07-2016, 07:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by W.j.christy Quote
The camera on the outside looks like its in decent shape with only a few nicks and scrapes here and there, but found that there are issues with the prism desilvering, and the foam in the mirror box and grooves on the back where the film door seats, has degraded and become very stick and nasty.
Send it to Eric, he will fix it up:

Pentax Camera Repairs

Phil.
04-07-2016, 07:50 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'd like to try to fix it myself. I am rather capable and enjoy this type of work so any information about my questions would greatly be appreciated.
04-07-2016, 07:54 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I'd like to try to fix it myself. I am rather capable and enjoy this type of work so any information about my questions would greatly be appreciated.
I'm guessing a prism replacement would have to be from another K1000, the ME Super is a much smaller camera.

Phil.

04-07-2016, 07:59 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Are there any other possibilities for donors?

also any insight on the foam?
04-07-2016, 08:14 AM   #6
Site Supporter

the closest model is probably the Km, but the safest bet is another K1000.
04-07-2016, 08:20 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For 1), there were more K1000s produced than any other model, so I would still look for a K1000 donor. It might be able to interchange with other K series bodies, but I wouldn't expect the M series to be interchangeable with it.

For 2), Replacing light seals isn't hard. Google "light seal replacement kit" - you'll find a lot of tutorials and where to get supplies.
04-07-2016, 09:14 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
For 1), there were more K1000s produced than any other model, so I would still look for a K1000 donor. It might be able to interchange with other K series bodies, but I wouldn't expect the M series to be interchangeable with it.

For 2), Replacing light seals isn't hard. Google "light seal replacement kit" - you'll find a lot of tutorials and where to get supplies.
Try reading
Favorite Classics / Jon Goodman's Seal Replacement Instructions

You need to replace any foam that is not like new... Shutters get indigestion on foam debris or film shards.

Cleaning the prism may be enough. Strip, clean and try before condemn.

04-07-2016, 10:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

You could also probably use prisms from the KM as it's the same camera except for the addition of a self timer and stop down button. Maybe even the KX too. It's possible that because the K series was very similar internally to the late Spotmatics such as the Spotty F, that a prism might be transplantable from there. Just a guess, don't quote me!
04-07-2016, 02:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

You could always ASK Eric. He might have suggestions/a prism. If nothing else he might buy it off you for parts and you could then get a K1000 with a good prism.
To me it just seems like finding a donor is not a very worthwhile effort. If you already had, say, a KM with a fried shutter, sure, but....
If you're just looking for a project it's a fine approach, but for actual end-use, just get a working one.
04-07-2016, 03:18 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PGillin Quote
You could always ASK Eric. He might have suggestions/a prism. If nothing else he might buy it off you for parts and you could then get a K1000 with a good prism.
To me it just seems like finding a donor is not a very worthwhile effort. If you already had, say, a KM with a fried shutter, sure, but....
If you're just looking for a project it's a fine approach, but for actual end-use, just get a working one.
Yea I am going to go this direction. My father also told me today that he would give me his ME and the lenses. So I will just sell this one for parts.
04-08-2016, 01:26 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Yea I am going to go this direction. My father also told me today that he would give me his ME and the lenses. So I will just sell this one for parts.
The foam is easy to do and the ME may be in the same boat.
The prism is also frequently not a problem if you can lift the lid and clean it yourself.
Paradoxically they can work ok on total internal reflection without silvering.

The money for parts camera is not the same as a spare body in gbag.
Alternatively you need a changing bag in gbag to remove a part shot film...

Last edited by Xmas; 04-08-2016 at 01:27 AM. Reason: Predictive text error