Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-07-2016, 03:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Black K1000 on eBay

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Looks like a pretty decent repaint job, but at a premium price:

eBay item #252346532869 Black Pentax K1000 body

Ten years ago an eBay seller offered K1000 bodies painted khaki.
IMO this "K1000 Safari Edition" was the coolest looking K1000 ever.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 04-07-2016 at 04:33 PM.
04-07-2016, 04:08 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
it looks cool but it is way too expensive
04-07-2016, 04:51 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Looks like a pretty decent repaint job, but at a premium price:

eBay item #252346532869 Black Pentax K1000 body

Ten years ago an eBay seller offered K1000 bodies painted khaki.
IMO this "K1000 Safari Edition" was the coolest looking K1000 ever.

Chris
Safari sounds cool to me as well. Add dark brown leather from Aki Asahi* and it would be a fine looking machine IMHO.

Steve

* Yes, they do offer a K1000 kit, though I am not sure whether they have a dark brown material.
04-07-2016, 06:56 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
$250 for a black K1000 with new light seals, mirror baffle, and a 50mm prime in clean condition too expensive? Considering a chrome version body is about $144 on KEH and the lens is another $40, I see that camera as an investment as it will only appreciate in value because of the condition and that it's black. I had one of the very first Minolta Maxxum's when they double crossed the xx before Exxon sued them for overlapping xx in Maxxum like Exxon did. Suddenly that special Maxxum became very valuable to collectors. I have no doubt that K1000 will sell to a collector or a real K1000 fan that can't pass it up.

If you found a white Model T Ford (they only came in black) it's value goes beyond it's function.

04-07-2016, 07:11 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks repainted to me. I can see a paint run on the left rear of the top plate.
Also it's a later model, non "M.I.J." K1000. I think for any hope of collect-ability, you would want a 1975 in mint condition.
04-07-2016, 07:28 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
I have no doubt that K1000 will sell to a collector or a real K1000 fan that can't pass it up.
It is not a factory-black camera (there were none). It has been painted black and would be of little value to a collector.

Steve
04-07-2016, 09:33 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Might as well buy a black KX at that price, with K55/1.8.

Phil.

04-07-2016, 09:58 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Might as well buy a black KX at that price, with K55/1.8.

Phil.
I agree, but people go silly over K1000s, apparently not realising there are better models available.
04-07-2016, 10:39 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is not a factory-black camera (there were none). It has been painted black and would be of little value to a collector.

Steve
Yes, I agree that a purist would not be interested in the anything modified like this. It's like a painted DeLorean or a pink Ferrari, but value is in the eye of the beholder and considering the emotional weight of this beloved model, I would be surprised if the seller doesn't get his or her asking price.

Around 1985, I found a used Polaroid 195 that had been modified in an old camera shop in Hollywood. The original lens Tominon f/3.8 was removed and replaced with a Rodenstock Ysarex 127mm f/4.7 lens with a Copal shutter. I paid $95 for it. Then years later, Polaroid came out with their own version of my modified model for considerably more money. Today my modified 195 has appreciated in value, whereas the authentic Polaroids are fairly common.

I also remember when I used to collect sea shells the Precious Wentletrap. At one time, it was considered so rare that the Chinese made forgeries of the shell that were essentially worthless. Today, those forgeries are worth a fortune and an authentic shell is common.
04-08-2016, 03:02 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Aw c'mon, all you Pentax black body lovers would just kill for one of these.
Fortunately I am immune from this jealousy; I prefer chrome cameras and have never wanted a K1000.
Well, I might make an exception for a khaki one...

Chris
04-08-2016, 04:21 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Aw c'mon, all you Pentax black body lovers would just kill for one of these.
Fortunately I am immune from this jealousy; I prefer chrome cameras and have never wanted a K1000.
Well, I might make an exception for a khaki one...

Chris
I'm old enough to remember 'Black is Beautiful!'
04-08-2016, 02:27 PM   #12

That camera actually sold via auction a few weeks ago for $199.00 by the same seller. It has most likely been returned for some reason so I would be asking a few questions. It is possible the sale did not go through but the time frame of relisting suggests return.

If by chance a collector did give it a second thought for some reason, they would not be interested due to the poor quality paint job. It appears it has just been sprayed over the chrome finish which means it will scratch / chip very easily. Even the modern 2 pacs do not take over chrome all that well, so not really practical as a user camera either. If you look closely you can see where the paint is already peeling back from the edges in a few places. Although a bit rough on the edges, the white highlights look good due to it being a slightly off white making it look older and used rather than a fresh paint job.
04-08-2016, 02:54 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That people are watching these items is proof IMO of my last post.

FWIW a really good paint job would likely cost many times that of a used K1000 body i.e. Leica money.
And even properly applied paint will eventually scratch. Did I mention I prefer chrome bodies?

Chris
04-08-2016, 04:39 PM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That people are watching these items is proof IMO of my last post.

FWIW a really good paint job would likely cost many times that of a used K1000 body i.e. Leica money.
And even properly applied paint will eventually scratch. Did I mention I prefer chrome bodies?

Chris
The silver paint on Pentax bodies shows rub marks also, doesn't it?

My personal preference is dependent on the particular camera body. Of the film bodies I own, K, SV K2, MESuper and SuperProgram (vs. ProgramA) are, IMO, much better in silver. KX, MX, F2a and SP-F are prettier in black. All the other S bodies I own are better in silver (including the ESll that I'll never find).

Should we start a thread for the inevitable discussion of Limited lens color preference?
04-08-2016, 04:46 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The silver paint on Pentax bodies shows rub marks also, doesn't it?

Yes, but it's much less noticeable, especially compared to "brassing" of a black body.
The chrome finish on the pre-plastic Pentax cameras is much harder than even the factory black paint.
With minimal care I find chrome cameras stay new-looking much longer.

Chris