Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2016, 06:57 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Check out my 'new' KX

Well, here's my KX and she's minty!!!

Came with K55 1.8, original snoot case, manuals for the camera and lens and a sunpak flash with manual and box. No scratches, dings or dents. All working, including the timer and light meter.

I may get around to scanning the manuals to pdf, if anyone needs a copy for their KX??? The manual is a nice little summary of both how to use the camera and an introduction to photography with topics like depth of field and correct exposure.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
04-07-2016, 07:09 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Very nice. I recently got one...with the 55 as well. I can't get the film door to open. I'm quite disappointed. It also has a fair bit of gunk inside the VF.
04-07-2016, 07:15 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The light seals must have degraded and turned into goo, which is not surprising for a 41 year old camera.

Be not disappointed, just take them to be replaced!
04-07-2016, 07:20 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks the part!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

04-07-2016, 07:20 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Beauty. Gave mine to my dad last year. Just posted a couple shots from his first roll over the in the "Cool - Let's See Those Film Shots" thread. One of the best in the heritage.
Yours is as clean as I've seen them - the case itself is amazing without any wear.
04-07-2016, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

Very nice! I can't say I have ever seen an intact case and both that and the camera are beautiful.

Steve
04-07-2016, 07:24 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote
The light seals must have degraded and turned into goo, which is not surprising for a 41 year old camera.

Be not disappointed, just take them to be replaced!
Yes! The gunk of the focusing screen is likely mirror bumper foam turned to goo and flung onto the screen by the mirror action. A CLA will include a replacement of the light seals and mirror foam and also a cleaning of the screen.

Steve
04-07-2016, 07:25 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I see I should have posted this in the existing "Introduce your... film Pentax!" thread. Sorry to start my own thread, when one already existed.
The light seals were slightly going sticky, so I put her in to 'hospital' to have them replaced. Hopefully, she's be out of hospital today and I can run some film through her.

04-07-2016, 07:25 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Very nice! I can't say I have ever seen an intact case and both that and the camera are beautiful.
Steve
The one I just gave to my dad I found a real nice case for (not as pristine as this one here of course, but close) that I fished out of the dollar bin at a local camera shop! Couldn't believe it.
04-07-2016, 07:26 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes - thanks guys. I couldn't believe it myself when it turned up and the case was like new. I think it must have lived the last 40 years in a dark cupboard.
04-07-2016, 09:28 PM - 1 Like   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by calsan Quote

Well, here's my KX and she's minty!!!

Came with K55 1.8, original snoot case, manuals for the camera and lens and a sunpak flash with manual and box. No scratches, dings or dents. All working, including the timer and light meter.

I may get around to scanning the manuals to pdf, if anyone needs a copy for their KX??? The manual is a nice little summary of both how to use the camera and an introduction to photography with topics like depth of field and correct exposure.
Beauty, my favourite camera/lens combo!

Enjoy...

Phil.
04-07-2016, 10:48 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
There is one oddity in the manual, they say the timer release tab (below the timer winder) is silver and the photo in the manual shows it as silver. But it's black on my camera and all the photos of I've found on this site of KXs have black timer releases.
So if anyone has a KX with a silver timer release tab, then you must have the original KX as used to make the instruction manual.
04-08-2016, 04:18 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter

Practically New In Box. Was the seller a time traveller?
04-08-2016, 07:20 AM   #14

Beautiful! My case disinigrated over the years (dust to dust kind of disinigration of the outer black coating as I remember) to the point where I discarded it.
04-08-2016, 03:33 PM - 1 Like   #15
Pentaxian

That's gorgeous. Looks like it's still 1975! Excellent find, and I am jealous!

Though it appears brand new I'd still get it serviced.
After all these years those old lubricants have dried up significantly;
spring-dependent shutter speeds are probably out of specification,
and meter cell output may have diminished with age, etc.
Light seals and mirror foam should be replaced as well.

Enjoy your beautiful new camera!

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 04-08-2016 at 05:00 PM.