Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2016, 05:50 PM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
There is a youtube video about a fix to sticky mirror using talcum powder if you can believe it but again I haven't seen the issue.
Hahahaha - I saw that a good while back. Not sure it's a "fix" but it's *something*.

---------- Post added 04-13-16 at 05:57 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I will be a heretic. I had an LX and found it a bit fragile. My had multiple problems: sticky mirror, flash sync mechanism failed, cable release threads stripped out, rubber inserts on left top wheel came loose and refused to glue back down. It's a beautiful camera, it's dainty. I had a Nikon FA at the same time, It was solid, rugged, felt like you could run a car over it and it would continue to function. Excellent viewfinder. And it had 1//250 flash sync instead of the pathetic, archaic 1/60 or slower of the LX. Throw the FA into you backpack - wrap the LX in velvet, then bubble wrap, then put it into a Pelican case.
This I don't agree with, though I understand some do feel this way. I've only had one for a couple years now but nothing has even approached this lemon-like behaviour.
For what it's worth as well, the "X" flash-sync speed on the LX is 1/75, not 1/60... huge difference I know.
Has never bothered me personally either way, but I do scant little flash work and when I do use them it's usually continuous lighting.
As far as bag tossing... I don't even have a case for my LX - it gets tossed in a small canvas bag that then goes in my backpack. Other than being wrapped in a towel a couple times thats the most protection its ever seen since living under my roof and my rules. (I worry FAR more about the plastic MZ-3 and MZ-S when they're in the pack than I ever do about he LX)

Last edited by chickentender; 04-13-2016 at 06:01 PM.
04-13-2016, 06:56 PM   #47
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
There is a youtube video about a fix to sticky mirror using talcum powder if you can believe it but again
...a method that is also likely to clog up the mirror mechanism entirely!
05-02-2016, 01:15 PM   #48

Photos: Albums
As robust as any SLR of itīs age but smoother and better. A joy to use everytime.
Btw any camera will need new foams at a certain age, contacts will corrode etc. No difference.
05-12-2016, 03:00 PM   #49
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Deciding which is the best camera between the Canon F-1N and the LX is a problem for me, they are both the pinnacle of SLR cameras in terms of buidling quality, the F2 is also well made but more...primitive.

Now I'm in the UK for work and given that I could take just one camera I chose my LX, a 50mm f1.2, a 85mm f2, a 35mm f2.8, a 24mm f2.8 and my 35-210 zoom.

05-12-2016, 06:24 PM   #50
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I tried GR1v, Mju, Canon 3, Yashica GSN. The image quality from these, is a bit of disappointment, I only get few shots that I like from each roll.

until couple weeks ago I pick up a Olympus OM2n. I really like the images I get from this camera, the images just blow all the previous 135 cameras I owned listed above. more than half of the roll from this camera are 'keepers'. The camera is also very small, I can put in my jacket pocket while carrying 67 as main camera.
I'm curious what the issue was that you felt you weren't getting 'keepers'? The way your OP is phrased it sounds like you expect the LX itself to provide you with better image quality, which as a system camera I don't quite understand...
05-18-2016, 03:48 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
I'm curious what the issue was that you felt you weren't getting 'keepers'? The way your OP is phrased it sounds like you expect the LX itself to provide you with better image quality, which as a system camera I don't quite understand...
I think I realize that images from high end P&S still not as good as a SLR for me. though I have seen great images from these high end P&S cameras.
yes, since OM2n is giving me much better images, I expect LX will do the same. and I wanted to use Pentax whenever possible.
05-19-2016, 10:37 AM   #52
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
I think I realize that images from high end P&S still not as good as a SLR for me. though I have seen great images from these high end P&S cameras.
yes, since OM2n is giving me much better images, I expect LX will do the same. and I wanted to use Pentax whenever possible.
Yes you will get similar image quality with Pentax lenses as the OM series lenses, but the Pentax build quality is better, or they are easier to fix.
05-30-2016, 09:10 PM   #53

As an owner of MX, ME-Super, KX and LX, I have to say that both the LX and KX were the best when I used to shoot weddings. Besides, when I had the occasional over the crowd shot, I could always slide back and take off the LX penta prism, turn it up and upside down, look up at the focusing screen and shoot: all this in the pre-LCD era!