Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-12-2016, 11:29 AM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Thanks all... like every advise seeking on forum, you end up more confused about your choice. lol
Yup - that's a theme around here.

QuoteQuote:
Did anyone bought LX from ebay Japan seller?
I did not buy my LX from Japan but I have bought several lenses and other cameras from Japanese sellers and in my opinion, as long as they have a good feedback history, they are in general the safest "group" to purchase from. Just ask questions if you have any. Also, most use EMS shipping which is very fast to the states in most cases. I've yet to have an undesirable purchase from Japan (touch wood) that wasn't rectified very quickly. Most have been completely trouble-free.

QuoteQuote:
Do I need to send the camera for CLA after I receive it?
After CLA, how long will it last until the sticky mirror problem occur again?
Depends of course. If it works fine, feel free to use it until it doesn't. In terms of how long the the issue will take to reoccur, likely at least 20 years or many more depending on usage and storage. Many techs use better foam and rubber materials today than were used when these cameras were manufactured so they could arguably last longer. Chances are you'll need to worry about the electronics long before another re-seal is necessary.

04-12-2016, 12:09 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The 1980s - lots of K series and M series stuff.
**drools**

Funny how what was once a wallet-savaging prospect can now often be had on the Marketplace for a (relative) pittance. I would pull the trigger on a couple of things, but I have a recent purchase still on the way and I want to see how that fits in with the rest before I clear the decks and rationalise/reorganise my camera body lineup.
04-12-2016, 12:22 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
**drools**

Funny how what was once a wallet-savaging prospect can now often be had on the Marketplace for a (relative) pittance. I would pull the trigger on a couple of things, but I have a recent purchase still on the way and I want to see how that fits in with the rest before I clear the decks and rationalise/reorganise my camera body lineup.
I traveled all over the southeast with him while he was selling Pentax to dealers. It was an interesting time.
04-12-2016, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #19

Photos: Albums
I've owned ME Super, P30t and LX. Couldn't wait to get rid of the P30t, although that's the only one of those I bought new. The ME Supers were fun, small and quiet but do not impress me as "robust." The only one I still own is the LX, which at some point did develop sticky mirror and I had it repaired & CLA. I sold my ME Supers when they stopped working. As far as I can recall, the LX can do everything the ME Super can do, and a few things more, and in lower light and in bad weather. IMO, the only reason to buy an ME Super instead of an LX is if you can't find an LX or you can't afford it.

04-12-2016, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #20
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The OM2n I got only cost me $20 and so far very impressed with the huge VF, the super small size, the rich features, and the look of it.
But after good experience with OM2n, the itch of getting a similar advanced 35mm film camera from Pentax is burning again.
That is an excellent price

It sounds like you have done your research and true enough the LX is the closest thing from Pentax to the OM-2n. That being said, if what you want is a robust K-mount camera with aperture-priority AE, full manual override, and excellent viewfinder, there are an abundance of options. Conventional wisdom is that any 70s/80s vintage camera in full working condition may be deemed robust until proven otherwise (generally by failure). I have four such cameras on my shelf and paid less than $45 for each (one was free). In addition to a Pentax Super Program, there is also a Ricoh XR-2s and two Ricoh XR7. The XR-2s is my go-to manual focus body and is quite a workhorse. The XR7 is a sweeter package and actually my favorite, but for some reason the larger XR-2s gets more use.

Steve
04-12-2016, 01:00 PM - 1 Like   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I will be a heretic. I had an LX and found it a bit fragile. My had multiple problems: sticky mirror, flash sync mechanism failed, cable release threads stripped out, rubber inserts on left top wheel came loose and refused to glue back down. It's a beautiful camera, it's dainty. I had a Nikon FA at the same time, It was solid, rugged, felt like you could run a car over it and it would continue to function. Excellent viewfinder. And it had 1//250 flash sync instead of the pathetic, archaic 1/60 or slower of the LX. Throw the FA into you backpack - wrap the LX in velvet, then bubble wrap, then put it into a Pelican case.
04-12-2016, 01:18 PM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by WPRESTO Quote
I will be a heretic. I had an LX and found it a bit fragile. My had multiple problems: sticky mirror, flash sync mechanism failed, cable release threads stripped out, rubber inserts on left top wheel came loose and refused to glue back down.
Sorry to hear.

My experience with the LX was completely opposite.
I bought one new, and got twenty years of hard use out of it,
in all weathers and in all sorts of locations, before switching to digital.
It collected a few dings along the way, but that did not affect the performance.

A big advantage of the LX over other cameras is the interchangeable viewfinder.
I had the little waist-level finder along with the standard prism,
and found it very handy for situations
(round corners, over fences or heads of people in a crowd, or for stealth shots)
where now we can use live view on a digital.

Contrary to some previous posters,
I didn't find the automatic exposure very good for what I needed,
and quickly settled on manual exposure setting.

The LX has default mechanical shutter settings that still work if the battery dies.
Compared to the big clunky digital cameras, it was perfect for travel,
especially with a 20/50/100mm kit of M lenses.

04-12-2016, 02:35 PM - 1 Like   #23
Veteran Member

A very inexpensive and good alternative to the LX is the ME Super. Small size, huge VF, autoexposure, and very inexpensive.
If you don't need manual exposure, the original ME is even less expensive.
04-12-2016, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

The LX is the best Pentax film camera and was built to last. It had to as it was the pro body to compete with the canon f1 and Nikon f2/3. so it still comands the pro price. Id say the super program is the closest to the LX and it is a lot cheaper. I really like the super program i have.
04-12-2016, 05:21 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
A very inexpensive and good alternative to the LX is the ME Super. Small size, huge VF, autoexposure, and very inexpensive.
If you don't need manual exposure, the original ME is even less expensive.
Thanks Colton! the ME Super apparently a little smaller than the OM2n... so far the only thing that turn me off about it is the button shutter selection.
But I shall keep an eye for it.

---------- Post added 04-12-2016 at 08:24 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by malinku Quote
The LX is the best Pentax film camera and was built to last. It had to as it was the pro body to compete with the canon f1 and Nikon f2/3. so it still comands the pro price. Id say the super program is the closest to the LX and it is a lot cheaper. I really like the super program i have.
Super program... specs looks good but the camera looks... not my taste yet.

I really like the look of Nikon F3, and so is LX.

---------- Post added 04-12-2016 at 08:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Yup - that's a theme around here.
Thanks for the comments. I do buy from ebay Japan seller and experience so far has been good.
One even offer to let me try LX for few weeks and if I don't like, they pay shipping back. I just don't know if LX is durable enough or if the sticky mirror problem will develop after short time.

---------- Post added 04-12-2016 at 08:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is an excellent price

It sounds like you have done your research and true enough the LX is the closest thing from Pentax to the OM-2n. In addition to a Pentax Super Program, there is also a Ricoh XR-2s and two Ricoh XR7. The XR-2s is my go-to manual focus body and is quite a workhorse. The XR7 is a sweeter package and actually my favorite, but for some reason the larger XR-2s gets more use.
Steve
Thanks for the suggestions! I did my search as I didn't want to waste time of others....
I can't look pass the look of Super Program... but Ricoh XR7 looks good. I will look into them more. Thanks again!
04-12-2016, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #26

Thanks all... like every advise seeking on forum, you end up more confused about your choice. lol

I will grab a MX if came across one that is reasonably priced.

Did anyone bought LX from ebay Japan seller? Do I need to send the camera for CLA after I receive it?
After CLA, how long will it last until the sticky mirror problem occur again?
only buy an MX if it's been CLA'd
i bought 2 for around $100 and one of them had the mirror up after the second shot if the lens is put on correctly
the other one have focusing problem which i think due to the mirror calibration or something
and i refuse to fix them since the cost is more then i spent to buy them

and 3 months ago i bought an ex Condition LX from ebay japan for $300 including shipping (EMS)
and it's been a joy to use, no problem or whatsoever

---------------------------------------------

to OP,

i used my P67 on travel and an MX (before i got my LX)

so for travel + sitting on the rack for 2 months i suggest MX

simply because it's cheaper than LX

i wouldn't want to spent >$300 for an LX then use it only for your travel and let it sit there for 2 months

let the guy who will use LX everyday buy the LX and save some $$$ lol

Last edited by kidz14127; 04-12-2016 at 06:08 PM.
04-12-2016, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
According to the stripdown report from the Aug 1981 Popular Photography magazine - back in the day when they would actually take cameras apart to review the internals, they stated that Pentax had never lavished so much attention to any other camera before and that all internals were manufactured with hardened steel (and other top materials as appropriate) with lots of ball bearings. And of course it was the most weatherproof camera to date - much more than the Canon New F-1 and Nikon F3 released at the same time, and production samples were even rain tested at random. No doubt that when buying used, you may never really know what you are getting. I bought an 'EX' condition from KEH and a super bargain from the auction site ("seller doesn't know anything about the camera" type) and both are still completely functional and accurate with no issues going on seven years now.

Pentax truly embraced the Olympus OM series, even cutting short the original K series production and revamping their lineup to make much smaller bodies as well as lenses. Olympus followed up the OM1 with the aperture priority OM2 that was not only as small as the OM1 but also incorporated some advancements like off the film metering and TTL flash.

I believe Pentax took these cues from Olympus, advanced the metering system, added the most comprehensive viewfinder system, made it less battery dependent and kept the new compact size particularly compared to it's other pro peers.

04-12-2016, 06:47 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Pentax LX is nice but not that nice; I sold mine (but kept my Nikon F2).
If you require aperture priority AE you have some far less expensive options,
like the aforementioned Pentax K2 or ME Super, and others.

Chris
04-12-2016, 06:54 PM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I still prefer the PZ-1 but the LX is superb.
04-12-2016, 07:18 PM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kidz14127 Quote
only buy an MX if it's been CLA'd
i bought 2 for around $100 and one of them had the mirror up after the second shot if the lens is put on correctly
the other one have focusing problem which i think due to the mirror calibration or something
and i refuse to fix them since the cost is more then i spent to buy them

and 3 months ago i bought an ex Condition LX from ebay japan for $300 including shipping (EMS)
and it's been a joy to use, no problem or whatsoever

---------------------------------------------

to OP,

i used my P67 on travel and an MX (before i got my LX)

so for travel + sitting on the rack for 2 months i suggest MX

simply because it's cheaper than LX

i wouldn't want to spent >$300 for an LX then use it only for your travel and let it sit there for 2 months

let the guy who will use LX everyday buy the LX and save some $$$ lol
oh... thanks!
I think I will monitor a bit and get one from Japan seller then. Did you specifically ask them to check sticky mirror problem or not at all?
I think only in winter months they will sit on selves, in warmer months I probably go out every weekend. lol. thanks!