Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2016, 07:40 AM   #1

Russian FED 4

I have Fed 4 camera with Industar lenses. I have read an instruction, camera looks working fine.
My question is regarding a shutter and lenses: is a camera shutter connected somehow with lenses blades? Shutter seems work fine, although blades are not moving.
Yes, apperture ring is working fine, blades moving fine when settings apperture.

04-13-2016, 07:45 AM   #2

No. Manual aperture only.

Also, make sure to never change shutter speed without first winding the film or you'll beak the camera.
04-13-2016, 09:01 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mothballs Quote
No. Manual aperture only.

Also, make sure to never change shutter speed without first winding the film or you'll beak the camera.
What he/she said. The FED is not an SLR, so fully manual aperture is OK.

Steve
04-13-2016, 10:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

You need the manual

FED 4 Russian camera instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals

And don't attempt to set the speed until after checking it is wound on.

As well don't try adjusting between 1/30 and B.

It is a rangefinder discreet whish of fabric shutter and hand hold to 1/15 or slower with care.

You need a lens hood for the single coated lens!

04-13-2016, 06:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter

You guys are great!

Really no idea concerning the camera in question but after reading the post and all the replies it just impresses me how much knowledge is available on this forum and how willing members are to share that knowledge. Just saying . . .
04-13-2016, 06:19 PM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. Ed Quote
Really no idea concerning the camera in question but after reading the post and all the replies it just impresses me how much knowledge is available on this forum and how willing members are to share that knowledge. Just saying . . .
You'll feel that way until the arguments start! Nah - it's a good spot, particularly in this little "film cave" section of the site.
04-13-2016, 07:26 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for respond.

So, is that normal, that then I press a shutter button, just a shutter curtain is move, no blades.

Yes, I have manual on my hard drive
04-13-2016, 08:50 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Almach9 Quote
Thanks for respond.

So, is that normal, that then I press a shutter button, just a shutter curtain is move, no blades.

Yes that's normal for a Fed (and most older russian and otherwise rangefinder cameras). Aperture is not linked in any way to the shutter mechnism.
When you move the aperture control ring do the blades move then?

---------- Post added 04-13-16 at 08:52 PM ----------

Ah , sorry I re-read above - it sounds like everything is fine. The aperture blades will stay at whatever setting you choose because they do not need to "get out of the way", as it were, as they do on an SLR camera because you have a viewfinder and do not view the image through the lens.

04-14-2016, 02:14 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Almach9 Quote
Thanks for respond.

All Leicas until 1965 were direct viewfinder cameras they introduced a rangefinder after a few years of production some time about 1930.

The Soviets made copies, near clones, from 1933 or so the Fed 1.

Leica never really captured the market in SLRs.

You can fit a Leica or Canon LTM lens to your Fed the rangefinder coupling is similar.