Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 49 Likes Search this Thread
04-15-2016, 12:29 PM - 1 Like   #31
Veteran Member

You actually had to think and compose to take good pictures... not just spray and pray.

04-15-2016, 12:54 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mohb Quote
Thinking that any lens longer than 135 was a serious piece of glass
Actually I read an article from the 70s or earlier about how and why use a 1000mm lens - guy was shooting model on a dune backlit by the setting sun, and was on the opposite dune moving up as the sun was moving down. I should find and scan it.

Oh: find negatives from 40 years ago you forgot you had and had only seen as a contact sheet. So images emerge decades later essentially from dead. I'd like to see that trick with digital. Oh, we shoot so many that we forget the 1 in 10,000,000 we have on the hard drive o_O
04-15-2016, 03:10 PM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

As mentioned before: all 35mm film came wth the long trimmed leader, which is still needed to easily load a bottom loading screw mount Leica, Canon, or similar clone. Now I have to cut the extra leader length myself.
04-15-2016, 03:38 PM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
You actually had to think and compose to take good pictures...
When shooting slide film, a half stop difference in the exposure was worthy of consideration.

04-15-2016, 03:48 PM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"Sandwiching" underexposed slides in the same mount, trying to get something interestingly abstract that's more worth looking at than any underexposed slide ever could be.
04-15-2016, 04:33 PM - 1 Like   #36
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

28, 50, and 135.

Chris
04-15-2016, 05:23 PM - 2 Likes   #37
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Taking a 4 1/2 week cross country trip with the wife and kids (4 boys) and coming back with over 1,000 slides to get processed. We hit Rocky Mountain NP, Dinosaur NM, Crater Lake NP Redwood NP, Oregon Caves, Oregon coast from end to end, Mt. St. Helens, Glacier, Yellowstone, Badlands and a bunch of other places too. We hit19 states and 19 national parks or monuments and a few state parks too. All in all I think it was 32 rolls of 36 exposure slide film. By today's standards that is hardly any photographs at all. Back then it was a pretty eye popping experience when I walked into the store with my haul of film to get processed. I still have all those photographs some 25 years later. I doubt that many, if any of my digital photographs will exist 25 years from now.

I miss the smell of fixer emanating from a darkroom. I never got the 4 x 5 field camera I wanted. I miss being able to get oddball film sizes for old cameras to try them out.

In 1996 I was able to get some negatives of my parents that were taken before they were married. These were shot during WWII and they were necking on a blanket. These were popular photographs and usually taken by the girl's father. Then the soldier/ sailor etc could go back and brag about his girl. Well we rented a cabin to hold a surprise 50th Wedding Anniversary party for them. I blew up the photographs to 24" x 36" and hung them on the wall. When my parents walked in and saw them my mother buried her head in her hands and my father was grinning ear to ear saying. Oh man! Those were the days! He kept them too.

A bit later my mother was standing there looking at them and my 8 year old nephew walks up to her and the conversation goes like this

Michael: "Is that you gramma?"
My mother: "I'm afraid it is Michael"
Michael: "Gramma, I thought good girls didn't"

I don't see a scenario like that ever happening again with digital files.

FILM ROCKS!!! The chemical technology of today's films is every bit as advanced as today's digital imaging technology is. Other than much quicker access to the image film is still better than digital imaging in many ways, If you want a more permanent record, use film. You will always be able to scan the image with whatever digital technology exists in the future. I really miss Kodachrome. I can only imagine how awesome it would look with the glass that is out there today.

04-15-2016, 05:49 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Dropping your film off in the parking lot of the local grocery store, and the closest you would have to EXIF would be the month and year stamped in the corner of the photo. You then tagged the photo with a pen on the back without realizing that in 20 years that ink would bleed through to the other side.
04-15-2016, 06:12 PM - 1 Like   #39
Veteran Member

04-15-2016, 07:12 PM   #40
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Sending Kodak mailers addressed to "Fair Lawn, New Jersey"

http://www.northjersey.com/community-news/kodak-to-do-cleanup-at-site-in-borough-1.751508

Chris
04-17-2016, 07:49 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That ubiquitous Cokin P System ad

Every issue of every photo mag I bought seemed to have this ad, or some variation:

I never bit, but apparently they're still in business.

Chris
04-17-2016, 10:33 AM   #42
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Sending Kodak mailers addressed to "Fair Lawn, New Jersey"
I'm sure in the 70's I sent some Kodachome to someplace in NJ, it may have been Fair Lawn.

Phil.
04-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I'm sure in the 70's I sent some Kodachome to someplace in NJ, it may have been Fair Lawn.

Phil.
That would have been Fairlawn, NJ. Processing Kodachrome was not like processing any other film. It required custom made processing equipment. There were only a few places in the world where it was done. All Kodachrome processing for Europe was done in Spain.

Kodachrome had no color dyes in the film itself. Instead, color pigments were added to the individual color layers during the processing cycle. These pigments were extremely stable and the reason why old Kodachrome slides still look so good after sitting for decades in less than optimal storage conditions to downright awful storage conditions.

So if you have any old Kodachrome laying around your darkroom, just treat it like a B&W film and have some fun with it.
04-17-2016, 04:49 PM   #44
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
That would have been Fairlawn, NJ. Processing Kodachrome was not like processing any other film. It required custom made processing equipment. There were only a few places in the world where it was done. All Kodachrome processing for Europe was done in Spain.

Kodachrome had no color dyes in the film itself. Instead, color pigments were added to the individual color layers during the processing cycle. These pigments were extremely stable and the reason why old Kodachrome slides still look so good after sitting for decades in less than optimal storage conditions to downright awful storage conditions.

So if you have any old Kodachrome laying around your darkroom, just treat it like a B&W film and have some fun with it.
Thanks, that would be the place then. All the Kodachrome I bought would have been here in Vancouver, so NJ for "mailer" processing makes sense.

Phil.
04-18-2016, 09:40 AM - 1 Like   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Shooting for years with the 50mm lens that came with the camera because there were no funds for another...

Steve