Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-19-2016, 08:18 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Source for DIY light seal, cover, shutter cloth, etc. replacement kits

Quite a large variety of makes/models, including Pentax SP/SPII/MX/LX/K1000 etc.

This is not an endorsement, just something I stumbled across. Clear online how to guides, reasonable prices, dunno about shipping from Japan though.

Aki-Asahi Camera Coverings

04-19-2016, 08:33 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I bought the 67 light seals kit to do a non TTL 6x7 prism that was loose fitting. Worked like a charm, highly recommended. Postage was also pretty cheap.

Phil.
04-19-2016, 08:43 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

thanks for the link!

m
04-19-2016, 10:18 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aki Asahi is one of my favorite resources. Their camera coverings are inexpensive, high quality, and precisely cut. I have not used them for light seals (prefer Jon Goodman for that), but I would not hesitate for any of their goods. The ship fast too...less than a week from order to receipt.

BTW, it is not obvious, but any of the covering materials they show for any camera are available for all. You are not limited to the choices in the drop-down menus. Likewise, the cameras they support are not limited to those in their catalog. It is worth sending them an inquiry. One more thing, they send a practice set of materials (usually a yucky color) with each order so that you can learn how without risk to your real kit. Great folk there at Aki Asahi

Steve

(...have one of their kits for my Zorki 4K waiting for when I finish the roll of film in that camera...)

04-19-2016, 10:22 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks all for affirming that they are as good as their no-nonsense web site would seem to imply. I just gave myself a good scare by reading about shutter cloth replacement.
04-19-2016, 10:26 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
dunno about shipping from Japan though

Their Web site says $4.00 USD per order anywhere in the world.

Steve
04-19-2016, 10:33 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
I just gave myself a good scare by reading about shutter cloth replacement.
It is good to be frightened! I have heard that the process is not as difficult as it looks and similar across brands. The one that scares me is the shutter ribbon replacement on Kiev or Contax rangefinder cameras*. They say it is easy...yeah, easy like yoga...

Steve

* The curtains are metal, but the ribbons are a wear item. If you use your Contax or Kiev regularly, it is likely you will break a ribbon at some point and quite possible that you will end up doing the job yourself.

04-19-2016, 06:27 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
It is good to be frightened! I have heard that the process is not as difficult as it looks and similar across brands. The one that scares me is the shutter ribbon replacement on Kiev or Contax rangefinder cameras*. They say it is easy...yeah, easy like yoga...

Steve

* The curtains are metal, but the ribbons are a wear item. If you use your Contax or Kiev regularly, it is likely you will break a ribbon at some point and quite possible that you will end up doing the job yourself.
It is easy because all you need to strip and rebuild is a darning needle, thread, ribbon and jewellers screwdrivers.
It is easier for girls who can sow!
They got the girls who made Canon rangefinders to make swans from cartridge paper.
If you could make a swan you could assemble the Canon easy.