Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-14-2016, 05:54 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I'm one of the people who's on the list for the travelling K1000, so at some stage I'll be able to do a side by side comparison of handling characteristics. It's part of the reason I elected to participate; I've always been curious to see what the K1000 is like, but given that I have a Spotmatic F and also a Ricoh XR1 (effectively a KX without mirror lockup), the 1000 seems sort of superfluous.
The spottie feels and is smaller because the M42 hole is smaller than the K (the reason why Pentax went K was the 50mm f1.2 whose rear element couldn't be fitted in a 42mm diameter) so the pentaprism is bigger and also the lens...the K lenses had a 52mm filter, the Tak 49.

05-14-2016, 10:29 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A K1000SE is a rare beast, though, and I wouldn't sacrifice the camera to get the screen for a Spotmatic unless it was absolutely positively dead in every other way.
The split image screen was an optional accessory, changeable at your authorized Pentax dealer. Eric or another Pentax repair shop may have one in stock, that would save a donor body purchase.

Phil.
05-15-2016, 03:13 AM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The split image screen was an optional accessory, changeable at your authorized Pentax dealer. Eric or another Pentax repair shop may have one in stock, that would save a donor body purchase.

Phil.
I tried to ask but the repairers I know never heard about this accessory.
05-15-2016, 03:40 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
The spottie feels and is smaller because the M42 hole is smaller than the K (the reason why Pentax went K was the 50mm f1.2 whose rear element couldn't be fitted in a 42mm diameter) so the pentaprism is bigger and also the lens...the K lenses had a 52mm filter, the Tak 49.
Interesting tale, if only because I remember asking whether there had been any M42 f/1.2 lenses and being told yes. Perhaps the Asahi optical engineers found the rear element being wider was necessary for the image quality they demanded?

05-15-2016, 05:28 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Here's a like to the Spotmatic F reviews here:
Pentax Spotmatic F - Pentax M42 Screwmount Film SLRs - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications
It's the highest rated of the Pentax M42 SLR bodies, incidentally.
05-15-2016, 07:20 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Interesting tale, if only because I remember asking whether there had been any M42 f/1.2 lenses and being told yes. Perhaps the Asahi optical engineers found the rear element being wider was necessary for the image quality they demanded?
I think Cosina made a 55mm f1.2 but I don't think it's a great lens.

Nikon and Canon had 55mm f1.2 and later better 50mm f1.2 with a large rear element because they weren't limited by the 42mm diameter like Pentax, so it makes sense Pentax and Zeiss (they developed the K mount together if I remember correctly) followed that example.

Take into account that Canon in order to fit the rangefer 50mm f0.95 (fastest lens ever) chop away one piece of the rear element...and it uses a special bayonet just available with the Canon 7!

05-15-2016, 10:36 AM   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
I tried to ask but the repairers I know never heard about this accessory.
Yeah it's probably a hard to find accessory. I have a Spotmatic F brochure and it has all the accessories you can get for the camera, it lists a split image screen as an option.

However I'm not sure if you could order a SPF with a factory installed split image screen like you could on a KX or if you just bought the screen and had it dealer installed.

The KX had two part numbers, one for the regular micro prism and one for the split image.

Phil.