Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Can anyone please identify this camera?

Pentax Film Camera N Ed | eBay

Thanks.

04-23-2016, 08:48 AM   #2
Pentaxian

See this thread. Pentax P3n
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/88173-pentax-ned-camera.html
04-23-2016, 08:58 AM   #3

It's a Pentax P3n made some times between 1988 and 1990. Uses a KA mount.
04-23-2016, 09:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This is not the first time a seller on eBay read the model number/name of a P3 upside down.

04-23-2016, 10:46 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes! The glorious Pentax NEd! Great camera whose only weak point, IMHO, is the reliance on DX encoded film canisters to set the ASA/ISO film speed. The body appears to be clean and if working, $20 is a reasonable price. Inquire about the condition of the battery compartment and whether the camera will power up before purchase.

Note: There is the classic, "I am not a photographer..." disclaimer in the description. That is a common red flag statement that sellers insert if they suspect the item is sketchy and don't wish to entertain a return or refund or answer any questions.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-23-2016 at 10:52 AM.
04-23-2016, 10:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Yes! The glorious Pentax NEd! Great camera whose only weak point, IMHO, is the reliance on DX encoded film canisters to set the ASA/ISO film speed.

Steve
You could always limit yourself to ISO 100 film...
04-23-2016, 10:55 AM   #7

Yeah. P3n.. one of the most unbreakable, cheap yet reliable camera. I started my high school photography class with it. It was bundled with M 50/2.0 as a starter kit. top speed only 1/1000 but with electric center weight meter. The downside is unable to overwrite the DX coding, and probably a bit more plastic.. But shutter itself is actually metal.
04-23-2016, 11:03 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
This is not the first time a seller on eBay read the model number/name of a P3 upside down.
I see the listing has now been changed to "N Ed or P 3 N" Rather disrespectful to the first SLR camera I ever owned.

My P3N and the camera bag it was in were stolen from my vehicle about 13 years ago, but I only once had a problem with non-DX coded film canisters. Someone had purchased 10 rolls of cheap negative film and gave me a couple of rolls. The automated film lab didn't have a problem compensating for ASA 400 film that was exposed as if it was ASA 100; the poor quality of the pictures I got back was a combination of an unskilled photographer and poor quality film.

Used Program Plus bodies in good condition are readily available for a reasonable cost, so I would suggest passing on a P3N listed on eBay, even if the lack of a manual film speed setting isn't a deal breaker.

04-23-2016, 11:08 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Wonderful little camera. Mine reminds me of the Energizer Bunny.

Hand load Kodak TMX 100 film or buy Arista EDU Ultra film by the caseload.

Mount the M 40/2.8, and go take great pictures.

Very compact little kit.

Someone used to sell the DX Code labels to attach to the metal reloadable cassettes.
04-23-2016, 11:10 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
I only once had a problem with non-DX coded film canisters.
Yep...The issue only comes up with cheap film and/or reusable canisters used by those of us who roll our own from 100' bulk rolls.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Someone used to sell the DX Code labels to attach to the metal reloadable cassettes.
I haven't seen those for awhile. Here is an interesting DIY to make your own:

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-film-DX-code-labels/?ALLSTEPS

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-23-2016 at 11:17 AM.
04-23-2016, 11:14 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
That would be easier than putting black electrical tape on the canister and cutting out little squares.
04-23-2016, 11:26 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks guys!
04-23-2016, 11:51 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Note: There is the classic, "I am not a photographer..." disclaimer in the description. That is a common red flag statement that sellers insert if they suspect the item is sketchy and don't wish to entertain a return or refund or answer any questions.
I don't think it's terrible. If someone starts messaging like "Does it have fungus?" "Is the focus action ok?" the seller is indicating he has no idea what any of the means. It would be like if a relative of yours died and you were selling his rebuild classic car, you'd want to preface the sales page with "I didn't make this and have no idea what went into it. Don't ask where the parts came from--I do not know."

It decreases the value because there's a risk to the buyer but the seller just wants to get rid of it and get something for it.
04-23-2016, 12:26 PM   #14
Forum Member

I had the first version of the P3 that came before the "n" model. A nice & very sturdy camera, but somewhat limited in features. I'd highly recommend going for the Super Program which was released a few years prior.

The Super Program will give you full control, including shutter priority. Mounted to the ME-II winder, it becomes very comfortable to hold with long lenses (and the winder is a rather trim little unit).

The Super Program with the ME-II winder was my very favorite manual focus film Pentax out of many. It also supports TTL flash, and becomes highly flexible with the 280T flash unit.

You seriously can't go wrong with a Super Program if you find a clean one.
04-24-2016, 05:47 AM   #15
Site Supporter

The return of nEd!

The P3N (or P30T) is an excellent camera, and a very good value.

Exposure memory lock clinches the deal. It's far more convenient
than the exposure compensation dial found on earlier Pentax models.

It also has DOF preview, another useful feature some other bodies don't have.

Like most photographers I almost always expose film at box speed.
IMO restriction to DX coding for film speed setting is a minor issue.

These cameras are plentiful and cheap as chips, so wait for a nice one.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 04-24-2016 at 06:34 PM.