Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2008, 11:30 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hi Folks, Thanks for all the great and encouraging comments... Sadly, there is a Generation now here that will never experience the beauty of film...My only regret, is that I did not discover it sooner...and it is a real shame...

07-14-2008, 11:39 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Reading this thread makes me want to shoot some film again. Too bad none of my film bodies is a Pentax. Ricoh XR7, Ricoh Singlex TLS, and Olympus XA, but no Pentax. On the lens front, my Pentax glass is limited to my M 200/4, A 50/1.7, M 50/1.7, and SMC Takumar 50/1.4 (in transit from seller). With that bunch I might be create something that I can post on this forum!

Steve
07-14-2008, 02:00 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No way I feel simiular.....
But my film ME is now in the hands of my girlfriend....
But I do have a chinon CE5 that uses the pentax K lenses that are with the ME...

I think digital has lost some of the magic of photography....
but at least you can get instant results with digital and more shots before you need to change film (or in this case memory card)....
07-14-2008, 02:52 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Here's daughters Gimme Gimme finger dance for the Program Plus.... we were fighting over who gets the last shot on the roll.

07-15-2008, 05:04 AM   #20
Banned

its lovely that she has a genuine interest.
07-15-2008, 08:01 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Must have figured the YE35 on the TV table was already hers....
07-15-2008, 10:15 AM   #22
Inactive Account

I'm about as nostalgic about film as I am about cars with window cranks, rotary dial telephones, and running shoes made of canvas. The only good thing about film cameras over their digital counterparts were the wonderful viewfinders.

c[_]

07-15-2008, 10:27 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
Must have figured the YE35 on the TV table was already hers....
It had no film in it
07-15-2008, 10:57 AM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ll_coffee_lP Quote
I'm about as nostalgic about film as I am about cars with window cranks, rotary dial telephones, and running shoes made of canvas. The only good thing about film cameras over their digital counterparts were the wonderful viewfinders.

c[_]

If I was in a bad mood, I'd call you a troll. But I'm in a good mood, so I'll point out that I'm only 35 years old, and:

-- only have power windows on my car because it came with them. Otherwise, I'm happy with window cranks. It's hardly that much exercise(!)

-- used a funky rotary phone until two years ago, when the sound quality on my unit had deteriorated enough to warrant replacement with a bakelite rotary-style touch tone phone.

-- prefer Converse All Stars.

I also shoot film and digital SLRs. It ain't nostalgia, it's just what I like.
07-15-2008, 11:22 AM   #25
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote

If I was in a bad mood, I'd call you a troll. But I'm in a good mood, so I'll point out that I'm only 35 years old, and:

-- only have power windows on my car because it came with them. Otherwise, I'm happy with window cranks. It's hardly that much exercise(!)

-- used a funky rotary phone until two years ago, when the sound quality on my unit had deteriorated enough to warrant replacement with a bakelite rotary-style touch tone phone.

-- prefer Converse All Stars.

I also shoot film and digital SLRs. It ain't nostalgia, it's just what I like.
I wasn't meaning to troll (I'm 35 too and started with film). In my opinion digital far outweighs film for it's convenience and ease of manipulation in post processing. Not having to learn from years and years of trial and error is far more appealing too.

Some people still prefer their music on vinyl, however digital music (CD, DVD, digital file) is still vastly superior and much more convenient.

The only things I miss from the film days is really the size/build quality of the bodies and the much better viewfinder...other than that - I'm all for digital.

c[_]

P.S. Didn't mean to offend.
07-15-2008, 11:22 AM   #26
Veteran Member

I, too, am under age 40 (but not by much).

I have roll-down windows in both of my vehicles, and I prefer them.

I have a couple of vintage rotary telephones from the 1940s, and I find that their sound quality is as good or better than my more modern phones.

I shoot film only, as I like to take photographs.

Last edited by zx-m; 07-15-2008 at 11:24 AM. Reason: typo
07-15-2008, 11:42 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I am 43, so I guess I am the old one here... so perhaps it is why I can appreciate both the old and new....

My son who is 8 years old has really taken to the ME Super he shoots when we go out...It is cool to see him plan his shot, compose, make sure the LED light is green and fire away...

The best part for us, is after he / we has used up the roll which takes us about a week, usually Saturday to Saturday we head of to CVS to have it developed..From there we sit and go over the images and decide which ones to print...He then puts his favorites which captions in his scrap book...It is amazing to see how much we ''both'' have improved over the past year...We have both learned to become better photographers because of film....
07-15-2008, 11:49 AM   #28
Pentaxian

What I really love is that everything is digital now.

By that, I mean, film is digital too. I have almost everything I shoot on film scanned.

So I can use all the same digital darkroom tools, no matter what I shot on.

This approach has led me to see my film and digital cameras as functionally equal and aesthetically different. And I love having that choice.

I'm currently trying to decide between building a wet darkroom for B&W printing, or buying a good film scanner. To satisfy my interests, I might need both
07-15-2008, 11:54 AM   #29
Banned

Im only 23 and shoot film, listen to my music on vinyl and I too wear converse all stars.

QuoteQuote:
Some people still prefer their music on vinyl, however digital music (CD, DVD, digital file) is still vastly superior and much more convenient.
convenient, yes. superior. no. first and foremost its important to understand that modern recording and mastering techniques yield (due to ridiculous sound engineers and the like) much too sharp and piercing almost hollow records (for allot of people) compared to that of older techniques. second if you use quality turntables and keep your records in good shape they are just as (if not more) durable than your probably roughly handled CD's. but if you want the convenience of a CD player then there are laser turntables which give you all those 'modern' listening conveniences. and as for digital files, well if you think your everyday mp3 file found on most peoples 'ipods' are superior to anything, you are very miss or ill informed about digital music.

all of that aside, it isn't always about superiority (as that can be rather subjective anyhow) nor is it always about convenience. its usually about what the individual enjoys more, and that can outweigh everything else. that said I think your viewpoint ll_coffee_lP is a bit negative and only seems that way because you embrace new technology where others don't see any justification in doing so if it doesn't offer them anything that they feel is substantial enough to warrant using the 'new and improved' over what they currently use and enjoy. and you obviously don't share this view.

for me its about enjoyment first, quality second, simplicity third. and film, vinyl records and yes even my converse among many other things meet all those requirements and nothing more or less. the 'vintage' or 'retro' or whatever you want to call it isn't really a factor for a young one like me because I don't look at things as 'old' or 'outdated' just because something new comes along. I look at the new as another option not 'the better option'.

Last edited by séamuis; 07-15-2008 at 12:12 PM.
07-15-2008, 11:55 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
My daughter wants a little digital P&S. Maybe if she showed the slightest interest in using any of the close to two dozen cameras I already have I'd consider buying her one. Neither my wife, my son, nor my daughter show any interest whatsoever.
I got my daughter interested in photography while in Junior High School; taught her everything that I knew about shooting film and b&w darkroom work. She ended up with a Master's Degree in Fine Arts/Photography and shoots most of the time (not as a professional) with a Mayima RZ67. We get along quite well and occasionally shoot together. She has a great eye and sees things in a totally way than I do (most of the time). Unfortunately, my work rarely elicits praise from her. Guess she became an "artiste" somewhere along the way. Regardless, it's great to share an interest/passion with your child.