Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2008, 09:29 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Here is a pic my son took from this past weeks roll. The lens was to short, but there is a blue heron in there someplace.

07-15-2008, 09:35 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is one more.

This was the last of of the cheap 99 cents film. No more cheap stuff, I feel we are giving away to much...

For now, We will be sticking to BW400CN, Tri -X, and high Def Kodak film...Have not tried Illford, but am dying to.

Last edited by jgredline; 07-16-2008 at 09:01 AM.
07-16-2008, 03:47 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can recommend the Fuji pro films - 400H, I think they make the 160 speed in 35mm too... and pretty cheap from places like B&H.

Doing the film thing is good for the sort of togetherness you describe - with straight digital you don't get that batching and reviewing in the same way.

One more point to this long discussion: the current top technology has always been very expensive. Although you can spend a fortune for 35mm film cameras, the real action these days is in digital: thus to get the best digital you spend a lot of money. Most of us have 'consumer' digital. On the other hand, one can easily afford much of yesterday's top camera technology (save Leica, to a degree).
07-16-2008, 05:42 AM   #49
Banned

QuoteQuote:
I couldn't agree with you more Seamus. However..."...durable than your probably roughly handled CD's" can easily be construed as being a personal attack.
that was meant as a general statement for how a lot of people tend to handle their Cd's, not a direct attack at you.

QuoteQuote:
As a trained audio engineer I can tell you that you are confusing several different factors and that nostalgia for vinyl is simply that

I never claimed to have nostalgia for vinyl, maybe I wasn't clear enough. I was referring to modern studio techniques for engineering music and remastering older music.

QuoteQuote:
Mastering is an incredible art. Those that brickwall limit every track produce horrible music, but that is irrespective of whether the delivery medium is analogue or digital.
that pretty much sums up what I was getting at. and I never claimed that vinyl was better than CD, or digital in general for that matter, I was only referring to the crap quality of the everyday mp3 file most people listen to nowadays and don't seem to realize how bad it is. I don't have nostalgia for vinyl I grew up with it because my father had a very large collection *which now belongs to me) and I just continued to listen to and add to my collection as I grew up. vinyl records for me are what Ive always used not CD's or audio cassetes. this all goes back to what I was saying about 'superiority' not always being the reason a person uses one thing over another.

QuoteQuote:
There's distortion everywhere. Yes, it's a nice distortion that people have learned to love. But it's still not part of the music.
something thats easily solved with a laser turntable and a quality record. if you can afford the turntable that is.

07-16-2008, 06:45 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I second the motion for a digital camera that I can treat like a basic film camera.
  • Aperture control on the lens
  • Shutter speed on the body
  • Av if the shutter speed is set to Auto
  • Sv if the aperture is set to auto
  • P if both aperture and shutter speed are set to auto
  • ISO dial on the body
  • FF sensor so that I have some reasonable lens choices on the wide angle end.
Exactly!!

That's the camera I want as the "K1000D"
07-16-2008, 07:27 AM   #51
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I second the motion for a digital camera that I can treat like a basic film camera.
  • Aperture control on the lens
  • Shutter speed on the body
  • Av if the shutter speed is set to Auto
  • Sv if the aperture is set to auto
  • P if both aperture and shutter speed are set to auto
  • ISO dial on the body
  • FF sensor so that I have some reasonable lens choices on the wide angle end.
I've been saying for a while that shutter speed, aperture and ISO all need dedicated dials, so we can memorise their positions and work as one with the camera. Modes are an annoyance. Extra buttons should all be removed. RAW and SR switches are not required. But a dedicated "soft" button could be programmed to do what the user wants.

However I am hesitant about requesting FF as this would push up the size and cost too much. Even though it would be great for wide angle and a better viewfinder.

And I think aperture on the body is better so all lenses can be used. A right-hand thumb interface is a lot easier than a left-hand thumb+finger, especially as the left hand already has focus and zoom to occupy it. I don't think that film camera interfaces are the be-all and end-all. We should take the best from the old and the new, not being slaves to either. (As an extreme example consider the idiotic baseplate design on the Leica M8.)
07-16-2008, 07:30 AM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
That's the camera I want as the "K1000D"
Pentax really needs to free itself from daft naming schemes.

I'd call the camera the Pentax Limited Blackbody. What you see is what you get.

07-16-2008, 07:37 AM   #53
Banned

QuoteQuote:
K1000D
but this would sell more than 'Pentax Limited Blackbody' for obvious reasons. lets face it K1000 is undeniably stuck with pentax, it defined this company for far to long and besides pentax has no problem banking off of it.
07-16-2008, 08:59 AM   #54
Veteran Member

Javier: I have been itching to try Ilford, too. All of the films listed in my signature line are excellent. I like the Kodak 400CN B&W you mention, too. It is a very good film, and the C-41 processing makes it quite convenient.

Regards,
Glen

PS: Overall, I like the shots you have posted here. The trees look a bit digital, though...perhaps that is because of the dark patches amid them, or becuase of the inferior quality of the 99-cent film. Again, Fuji Superia 200 and 400 are just over a $1.00 per roll in the five pack.
07-16-2008, 09:02 AM   #55
Banned

you can use C-41 on ILFORD's XP2 SUPER 400. thats my goto film quite often.
07-16-2008, 12:07 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
but this would sell more than 'Pentax Limited Blackbody' for obvious reasons. lets face it K1000 is undeniably stuck with pentax, it defined this company for far to long and besides pentax has no problem banking off of it.
Actually Canon has just stolen the number, more or less. And for people who have never heard of Pentax -- that is, the majority of potential customers -- an obscure number is not a draw.

Pentax need to think more like marketing people and less like fanboys... at least when marketing. When designing I am happy if they stay fanboys.
07-16-2008, 12:31 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
you can use C-41 on ILFORD's XP2 SUPER 400. thats my goto film quite often.
This is really good to know. Thanks...I will give it a try.
07-16-2008, 01:30 PM   #58
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I hope that at some point Pentax use the name Spotmatic D

As for Ilford B&W, I love the look of Delta 100. I am working my way through a roll of XP2 right now, so I will reserve judgement. I also have a roll of Pan F that I need to shoot before winter comes (it's only 50 ASA!)
07-16-2008, 01:40 PM   #59
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filmamigo Quote
Well, I hope that at some point Pentax use the name Spotmatic D
They should have called it the Center-weightedmatic when it went on sale.

Nowadays it would have to be the 16-segmentMatrixmatic D. Eat your heart out, *ist D.
07-16-2008, 02:57 PM   #60
Veteran Member

I thought Spotmatic was the name for their new, improved sensor dust removal system