Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2008, 07:06 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
=Gosh, is it me, or=

Folks, the more I use my my K1000's and my ME SUPER, the more I fall in love with film and the those old cameras. I like the way they feel, the way they look and the images I get from them....and of course the excitement that is Christmas every time I finish a roll and have it developed....

Am I alone in feeling this way?

07-13-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nope, it's not just you. Every camera I have inspires a different kind of picture taking.

It's not just the old Pentax's either -- my Spotmatic F inspires/delivers different pictures than my Yashica TLR. Both are very special and enjoyable.
07-13-2008, 08:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, I haven't used film camera for quite a long time. Got chance to use my beloved SuperPROGRAM two days ago, I used it just like a digital camera, shot three rolls in 5 hours Turned out the results are much better than I expected. The only things I miss from a digital camera are Shake Reduction and LCD review. After each shot I'd look at the back of the camera to check how the pic turned out

I think I'm gonna use this camera alot more often in the future.
07-13-2008, 08:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not just you. I find many times I miss my 6x7 and LX. Something about the feel and look of the images as well as handling a camera like that. The "Xmas" anticipation is a lot of fun. I have a couple of working SFX's here left from some Ebay auctions and I've popped a roll in periodically to just to give film another try.

As a result of those days when I flirt with a film camera, there are 2 ME Supers somewhere between LA and Charlottetown as we speak. Frankly I hate the way all the AF cameras (with the exception of the ZX-5n) felt.

Now it's time to dust off the slide projector.

Btw Javier, thanks for the help the other night. Much appreciated.

Last edited by Peter Zack; 07-14-2008 at 05:23 AM.
07-14-2008, 03:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

The other day while waiting to have the tires changed on my truck I decided that to kill the time I would take some photos of the guys while they worked. In the truck were the K100D and the Spotmatic ESII.

I chose the ESII.

It did a hell of a fine job metering some unusual lighting situations and turned in some good photos.

I'm really glad to see the Film SLR section of the forum gaining some life here lately.
07-14-2008, 04:09 AM   #6
Veteran Member

There's the anticipation factor yes. And the solid but small and functional feel... which you don't get from plastic bulbous things. Not that plastic bulbous things can't make good photos tho...

Daughter went to photo camp yesterday... we had a long negotiation about which camera she was going to take along. (I'm guessing for the film portion either the camp has K1000's or some sort of Nikons... and for digital Nikon DSLR... but I'll find out as she gets to it)... It went something like this:

Daugher: I want the 124G.
Father: I doubt the camp is set up for 120 film. When you learn to develop we can get a tank and you can learn to do 120.
D: But that's my favorite camera.
F: Let me show you some others. [pulls out KX and Fuji ST605]
D: I like the Fuji, it's smaller. [she has trouble coordinating enough to use the meter/stop down button, without the understanding of what she's actually doing]
F: Ok let me show you a couple more. [hauls out the XZ-10]
D: Eeew, I don't like it at all! [Dad beams at her good taste!]
F: [now I start to get a feeling, maybe I ought to be steering her to a camera I don't actually like using myself...] But this is auto focus and light! [Daughter doesn't like the crap-zoom either] Too bad all other af lenses we have are too expensive to bring to camp... Ok let's see what else we can find...
D: So far ST605 is favorite.
F: Here's something cool: an Electro GSN! [quick explanation of range finder]
D: Oooh I like it. Now I want to take this one.
F: [notices top green light has fallen off, and has doubts about reliability] Hmm maybe something more reliable... [I'm down to the Program Plus with my only A lens, a 28]
D: Where's the ZOOM! [her reaction to wide angle lens] [we fight over who gets to take last 4 photos on the roll that's in the Pgm Plus]
F: Now this will be much heavier... puts Tamron SP 35-80 on...
Daugher considers this.
Later I try out the Olympus OM2s but as usual the batteries are dead.

She takes the Pgm Plus + Tamron outfit.
07-14-2008, 04:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
There's the anticipation factor yes. And the solid but small and functional feel... which you don't get from plastic bulbous things. Not that plastic bulbous things can't make good photos tho...

Daughter went to photo camp yesterday... we had a long negotiation about which camera she was going to take along. (I'm guessing for the film portion either the camp has K1000's or some sort of Nikons... and for digital Nikon DSLR... but I'll find out as she gets to it)... It went something like this:

Daugher: I want the 124G.
Father: I doubt the camp is set up for 120 film. When you learn to develop we can get a tank and you can learn to do 120.
D: But that's my favorite camera.
F: Let me show you some others. [pulls out KX and Fuji ST605]
D: I like the Fuji, it's smaller. [she has trouble coordinating enough to use the meter/stop down button, without the understanding of what she's actually doing]
F: Ok let me show you a couple more. [hauls out the XZ-10]
D: Eeew, I don't like it at all! [Dad beams at her good taste!]
F: [now I start to get a feeling, maybe I ought to be steering her to a camera I don't actually like using myself...] But this is auto focus and light! [Daughter doesn't like the crap-zoom either] Too bad all other af lenses we have are too expensive to bring to camp... Ok let's see what else we can find...
D: So far ST605 is favorite.
F: Here's something cool: an Electro GSN! [quick explanation of range finder]
D: Oooh I like it. Now I want to take this one.
F: [notices top green light has fallen off, and has doubts about reliability] Hmm maybe something more reliable... [I'm down to the Program Plus with my only A lens, a 28]
D: Where's the ZOOM! [her reaction to wide angle lens] [we fight over who gets to take last 4 photos on the roll that's in the Pgm Plus]
F: Now this will be much heavier... puts Tamron SP 35-80 on...
Daugher considers this.
Later I try out the Olympus OM2s but as usual the batteries are dead.

She takes the Pgm Plus + Tamron outfit.

Difficult daughter. Gotta love'em.

07-14-2008, 04:59 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I'm simply ITCHING to go out and waste some rolls of film with my Zenit camera. In fact.. I think I'll do just that this weekend.
07-14-2008, 05:03 AM   #9
Veteran Member

My daughter wants a little digital P&S. Maybe if she showed the slightest interest in using any of the close to two dozen cameras I already have I'd consider buying her one. Neither my wife, my son, nor my daughter show any interest whatsoever.
07-14-2008, 06:20 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm fortunate with the youngest, she wants to try out everything. She looks really cool too with a vintage folder or one of the TLRs... I'll have to get some photos of her taking pics!

I must admit the Pgm Plus is my fave also. I'm assessing the risks with lost/stolen or broken equipment from this camp thing: replacing the camera and lens are no big deal, in fact the local camera store has the very lens in good shape. But the K/A adaptall is another thing, probably the most valuable bit of the whole kit.
07-14-2008, 09:44 AM   #11
Veteran Member

No, Javier, you are not alone. I will be frank: I despise digital. The images produced by digital cameras look artificial. I doubt I will ever buy a computerized image machine (i.e. a digital camera). In fact, the term "digital photo" is something of a paradox. Cameras produce photographs. Digital cameras produce digital images. Also, the term "film camera" is redundant and has always sounded strange to me.
07-14-2008, 09:49 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I forgot to add: free yourself and sell whatever over-priced digital gear you may have. Celebrate by buying (and recycling) some nice dirt-cheap (and better-performing) film gear. Sell now before people realize how good film really is...and before they are bored with their latest zillion megapixel "unbeatable" image machine.

Last edited by zx-m; 07-14-2008 at 09:52 AM. Reason: typo
07-14-2008, 09:58 AM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I am with you.

woof!
07-14-2008, 10:16 AM   #14
Banned

film is still king for me. ILFORD love, all the way.
07-14-2008, 11:22 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote

Nope, you are not alone. I still love shooting with my ME-Super. The viewfinder is awesome compared to my K100D, and the "click" is so satisfying! Film still has a place in my equipment line up.