Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2016, 04:51 AM - 1 Like   #1

First few from my ME Super

I ran my first film through a Pentax ME Super I bought from a car boot sale the other week. The photos I've just got from it I must say I'm very happy with.

I used the SMC Pentax-M 1.4 lens (it came with the 1.7 but I already had the 1.4). The film was Fomapan 200, a film I've not used before, and I used a yellow filter. I overexposed by two stops. One stop to account for the filter, one because I read somewhere film can benefit from a little bias towards the right. True or not, it worked!

The only other change was to develop in fresh chemicals (D76, Ilford Stop, Fixer and WashAid). Last photos I developed I was really disappointed with, and suspected bad developer, though it *seemed* OK.

A few minor adjustments in lightroom for levels. These are from the local vintage car rally.

I really do like this ME Super, perhaps even more so than my MX. The meter seems good, and the aperture priority option over the all-manual MX makes for a simpler life.

Attached Images

05-18-2016, 06:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by walliswizard Quote
I ran my first film through a Pentax ME Super I bought from a car boot sale the other week. The photos I've just got from it I must say I'm very happy with.

I used the SMC Pentax-M 1.4 lens (it came with the 1.7 but I already had the 1.4). The film was Fomapan 200, a film I've not used before, and I used a yellow filter. I overexposed by two stops. One stop to account for the filter, one because I read somewhere film can benefit from a little bias towards the right. True or not, it worked!

The only other change was to develop in fresh chemicals (D76, Ilford Stop, Fixer and WashAid). Last photos I developed I was really disappointed with, and suspected bad developer, though it *seemed* OK.

A few minor adjustments in lightroom for levels. These are from the local vintage car rally.

I really do like this ME Super, perhaps even more so than my MX. The meter seems good, and the aperture priority option over the all-manual MX makes for a simpler life.
That car looks familiar!

(Praktica BX20S, Prakticar 50 mm f1.4, Agfa Precisa).
05-18-2016, 07:30 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I really do like this ME Super, perhaps even more so than my MX.
Sacrilege.
05-18-2016, 11:46 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
That car looks familiar!
Ha! Twins!

05-19-2016, 09:51 AM   #5
Site Supporter

When the ME and MX first came out, I primarily used Leica, and wanted a cheaper (but good) carry-around camera. I first bought the ME, and was very pleased with it for that use. Later I was shamed into selling it and getting a manual camera again. But for most shooting the ME / Super give equivalent results to an MX or LX.
05-19-2016, 04:47 PM   #6

Ah! I sense you are a kindred spirit. I have two ME Supers: they are such elegant cameras, and a joy to use. I envy your ability to do your own processing: I simply do not have the space to do it although in a former life I had a black and white darkroom of my own. Happy days.......

I can tell that you are really going to enjoy your new camera.
05-20-2016, 12:41 PM   #7

Original Poster
I think they are both fantastic cameras and I'd happily buy a few more if I see them about on my travels. I agree, elegant and a joy to use as you say.
05-20-2016, 08:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter

I love the viewfinder in my SE version...so much better than my newer MZ-3!