Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2016, 07:11 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax ME Super - keep or return?

I've just received a Pentax ME Super that I bought on eBay. The body is absolutely mint - not a single mark or discolouration anywhere; never seen one like it. Everything operates as it should too. The mirror is also immaculate and obviously has never been touched - not so much as a single hairline scratch anywhere. The only issue is the focus screen... It has some darkness in the fresnel lines in the outer corners, and there are some brown dots and blotches which are very noticeable when looking through the viewfinder. On a couple of those blotches, it even looks as if the matt finish has been removed. It seems like brown stuff could be lubricant, and it looks like it has been there some time. Now, if I remember correctly, the screen can't be removed from the ME Super without partly disassembling the camera. Also, it's difficult to tell whether the screen could be cleaned, or in fact needs replacing. I have an e-mail in to Harrow Tech who offer very good Pentax servicing, and if I keep the camera, it would be my intention to have them service it regardless - so maybe they can sort out the screen too... In the mean-time, what do you folks think? Are replacement screens still available from anyone? Is it worth me keeping this camera, or am I better off (reluctantly) returning it for a refund?

EDIT: In fact, the brown stuff appears to be the adhesive between the mirror damper foam and the frame - I can see a couple of little balls of brown liquid (dry, now) hanging from behind that foam. I'm guessing that adhesive may have eaten away at the screen, though it's really difficult to tell. It would be so nice to get the camera repaired if its possible to do so, as it is otherwise absolutely as new...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 05-20-2016 at 07:24 AM.
05-20-2016, 07:22 AM   #2
Site Supporter

I would wait until you hear back from the Harrow Tech. They can probably clean it up nicely and you will have a keeper.

I bought a K1000SE a few years back with LOTS of debris in the viewfinder and I did not have my hopes up that it could be cleaned, but Eric did a great job so all is well.

Phil.
05-20-2016, 07:33 AM   #3

A cotton swab moistened with rubbing alcohol (70% is usually fine) will clean away the marks off the focus screen. Take your time, and be careful.

BTW, the goo is actually the remnants of the foam mirror cushion strip. The stuff just turns to a sticky tar with time, whether the camera got used or not. The seals around your back door will have done the same.
05-20-2016, 07:40 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
^^^^^ What they said. If it otherwise works and you were planning on a pre-use CLA anyway (which should now formally include replacement of light seals), there's no reason to return what might be a perfectly good camera. ME Supers were so common that chances are if the screen is N/G and unfixable, the techs have got a spare lying around. Check that with them.

05-20-2016, 08:05 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I got a K-1000 & a ME Super @ 6 yrs ago. I purchased them for the lens. Then I got on PF and found a whole group in love with film. With their help, I sent both of them off to Eric. His prices are great and have been watching video's on Youtube on how to use them. Hope you jump on board with the ME.
05-23-2016, 02:04 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Folks... please accept my apologies for not responding to your replies - they were appreciated.

Well, I spoke to Pramath at Asahi Photo, and he is very happy to service the ME Super including either cleaning or replacing the focus screen if necessary. He quoted a very reasonable 60 (just under $90) for the full service including new light seals and all other parts that may be necessary. That's more than I paid for the camera, but I had already budgeted for a full service when I bought it, so I'm very happy indeed. I posted it off to him today. When it returns, it should be (almost) like a new camera
05-23-2016, 07:15 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Folks... please accept my apologies for not responding to your replies - they were appreciated.

Well, I spoke to Pramath at Asahi Photo, and he is very happy to service the ME Super including either cleaning or replacing the focus screen if necessary. He quoted a very reasonable 60 (just under $90) for the full service including new light seals and all other parts that may be necessary. That's more than I paid for the camera, but I had already budgeted for a full service when I bought it, so I'm very happy indeed. I posted it off to him today. When it returns, it should be (almost) like a new camera
Good news, post pictures when it comes back from the spa!

Phil.
05-30-2016, 11:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
but I had already budgeted for a full service when I bought it, so I'm very happy indeed.
You have chosen "wisely".

There are likely a large number of new film shooters out there who may or may not wind up enjoying it simply because they've gotten a "bargain" analogous to picking up a '79 Toyota that has had nothing but a few oil changes over the years. Certainly not representative of what it *should* be.

Do report back on how you find it once Eric lays the healing hands upon.

05-30-2016, 12:48 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
@chickentender - thank you I agree... Even though everything except for the focus screen *seemed* to work just fine, a camera this old is surely going to benefit from a thorough CLA, and I expect a full service at this stage will extend its useful life for years to come.

By the way, I didn't send it to Eric (he would have been my first choice if "in country"). As I'm in the UK, I went with Pramath at Asahi Photo. I have no previous experience of him, but he's been operating for a long time and seems to be well respected for his work. I'm confident the camera will come back in a better state than when it left me

I will most definitely report back...