Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-20-2016, 11:09 AM   #1

K1000 Shutter Release problem

I have a K1000 in good condition and working splendidly which has suddenly developed an issue. I press the shutter release and nothing at all happens. The lever is cocked and the indicator is orange but nothing happens.

This began after using a shutter release cable with a very long travel. It plunges maybe an inch at full travel. Is it possible I've bent something? I really do not want to disassemble the camera if I can help it. Is there some newbie mistake I've made? The camera won't fire unless x and y?

Thanks all!

05-20-2016, 11:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Does it still work with the shutter release? If yes, this may indicate that you've pushed something down a little too far inside, that only the release plunger can activate. Maybe, just maybe, careful and judicious use of same might allow that thing to spring up again and re-establish a connection.

If that's not the case, and things don't come back to life again, you're looking at a service. Eric Hendrickson is the go-to person in the US for all things Pentax.
05-20-2016, 12:17 PM   #3

Original Poster
Unfortunately no, the remote will not work either. Thanks for the referral.
05-21-2016, 01:57 PM   #4

Has the mirror dropped back down again to its normal position after the last shot?

05-21-2016, 02:54 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Johnny Rod Quote
Has the mirror dropped back down again to its normal position after the last shot?
Yes, Sir. I'm new to SLRs but all seems to be visually in order. It just won't fire.
05-22-2016, 09:18 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Eric Hendrickson is the go-to person in the US for all things Pentax.
+1

Phil.
05-22-2016, 10:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
Eric Hendrickson is the go-to person in the US for all things Pentax.
So pleased with the repairs he did on my K1000. Very easy process, if you can't fix it, I highly suggest getting him to fix it.

05-22-2016, 12:02 PM   #8

Last thing I guess is to try to nudge the shutter curtains, but to be honest if it's a persistent problem then even once you've released it, it needs a service. They have things like the little rubber stops in the shutter curtain grooves turn to goop and jam the curtains, things like that. I have a K2 with this problem and while the shutter sounds okay, it is running way slow and erratic.
05-23-2016, 06:27 AM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks, all.

I just hate that it's not working but I have no plans to use it until I get better as a photographer. My K-50 is a joy to use and each picture is essentially free. I don't want the extra cost of film until I can justify it with better pictures.

I really appreciate the help on this forum!
05-23-2016, 06:59 AM   #10

That's a whole other can of worms! Get it fixed so it's ready to go, I would say. Unless you do a lot of manual shooting then you need to start somewhere anyway. I reckon once you get your hands on it you'll find it hard to put down, but hey, do what you enjoy!
05-24-2016, 02:24 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by shortphaselabs Quote
Thanks, all.

I just hate that it's not working but I have no plans to use it until I get better as a photographer. My K-50 is a joy to use and each picture is essentially free. I don't want the extra cost of film until I can justify it with better pictures.

I really appreciate the help on this forum!
For some people it is the thinking and change of location before an exposure that makes the picture better.

Other cheapgates buy cheap film in 100 foot rolls
Eg
Foma400
Kentmere400

Process it at home Rodinal 1+100 stand goes a long away
Fix is bulk bought sodium thiosulphate etc.

But that still does not improve pictures.

You need to find someone going digital for free kit and use barrier gloves.

ILFORD PHOTO - Processing a Black & White film
05-24-2016, 06:35 AM   #12

Original Poster
Johnny, I usually do shoot manual and have gotten quite used to it in a short time. I traded an unused Kindle for an Albinar 28mm and the guy threw the K1000 in for free! I know the lens isn't much but the combination of wide angle and macro make it great for nearly everything I am after. Long live the K mount! I agree that it's best to have it ready to go but our budget it very tight, young guy, new baby, wife at home. And it's not like my wonderful K-50 is doing anything wrong. I have a Yashica with a 35mm, 50mm, and 135mm lenses and a Kodak Tourist II if the film bug really bites.

Xmas, I appreciate the link. This is where I will likely end up. There's an ideal spot in my basement for a darkroom and when finances do lighten up that's something I'd really like to do. Maybe daylight tanks would be a better move, either way it's of high interest.
05-24-2016, 07:34 AM   #13

No worries, we all have our own back stories. You could just sell it on as in need of service if you don't need it, it's a financial liability otherwise. As often discussed on here, they're a classic but overpriced. That said, if you like it, stick it in a warm dry cupboard for another day. There are no rules!