Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2016, 07:35 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BROO Quote
Yashica electro 35. May not be exactly what your after but it might do the job. They are popular in the Lomography world at the moment.
That was my second 35mm and the first good camera I owned. It was a joy to use b

---------- Post added 05-22-16 at 10:40 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Agreed, it's on the list!

---------- Post added 05-22-2016 at 04:32 PM ----------

I'm curious, I don't know much about Pentax p&s'?
Based on the additional info I am betting these won't fit the needs.

Here's my old ad that I took down: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/36-sold-items/303472-sale-sold-pentax-poi...-ezy-80-a.html

The UC-1 has been sold - it probably is close but I'm not sure how manual it can get. The other two are very automatic as far as I know and I think they are slow not fast lens cameras.

05-22-2016, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I actually already have an MX
But do you have the pancake lens?

How so? There's plenty of 35mm compacts that have faster, sharper lenses than the M 40mm pancake...
If you can live with the inaccuracies of a rangefinder then there are faster lenses in a compact body but sharper lens . . . not likely.

Of course if you want faster, then nothing faster and more compact then this combination . . .

The Pentax MX, the smallest full manual SLR with the largest full info viewfinder of all time!

Last edited by LesDMess; 05-22-2016 at 09:48 AM.
05-22-2016, 11:59 AM   #18

Depends what you call fast. There are a lot of 60s/70s rangefinders with f2.8 lenses, I have a few myself such as the Zeiss Contessa with Tessar (4 elements in 3 groups, coated back and front) 50mm f2.8 which is a great lens. These have selenium meters which are mainly working now if the camera has a case, and they are pretty small. Much faster and really you're looking at a fairly heavy lens. I also have a Konica S and Olympus S, both selenium meters, both f1.8 lenses, and they are noticeably bigger and heavier (6 or 7 element lenses), really into the SLR with f1.7 territory. All these are the centre-the-needle type meters rather than match-needle and all have the meter in the viewfinder. Voigtlander Vitomatic IIa is another, similar to the Contessa but much heavier unit focus - not sure it makes much odds when your closest range is about 1-1.2m and you're pitting it against Carl Zeiss. The f1.8 Japanese ones actually go down to about 0.85m FWIW. The Contessas are great cameras and well-built, though a bit prone to slow shutter speeds due to grease on the blades and escapement, and seemingly more to fungus than the Japanese ones, so be selective.

Anyway back to speed - I would say the 1 stop extra you get for a much bigger lens is barely worth it unless you do a lot of indoor/evening shooting without flash, in which case go for a Yashica Lynx 14, but again it's the size of an SLR.
05-22-2016, 08:18 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you for your thoughts everyone.

At the moment I'm tossing up between one of the 70s/80s fixed-lens RF's with a sub-f2 lens (there's a handful around f1.7/f1.8), of possibly just picking up an M50/f1.7 for the MX. The latter seems like a hard combo to beat and the simplicity and manual control would be good for someone learning the basics I think...

The 50mm is faster, sharper and a lot cheaper than the M40mm pancake, and in practice not a lot bigger (I've owned both the M50 and Chinon 45mm pancake in the past)

05-22-2016, 09:13 PM   #20
Site Supporter

FWIW you will have plenty of misfocused shots at f/1.8 with those
compact 35's due to the inaccuracy of the short-base rangefinder.

Chris
05-22-2016, 09:14 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
FWIW you will have plenty of misfocused shots at f/1.8 with those
compact 35's due to the inaccuracy of the short-base rangefinder.

Chris
Good point...
05-23-2016, 07:20 AM   #22

Splitting hairs? At f1.8 and 1m range you get approx 98-102cm DoF so yes focus accuracy is important but only a 4cm depth of your subject will be clear - less than a whole person's head, less than the distance from their nose to their ear.

Focusing accuracy vs baselength - Photo.net Leica and Rangefinders Forum

Different strokes (not a Leica pun BTW!)
05-23-2016, 03:40 PM   #23
Site Supporter

In my experience frame-filling portraits can be a real crapshoot;
often as many exposures are out of focus as in.
Obviously when working at distance it's less of a problem,
especially if the model you choose has a slightly wider lens.

Using compact fixed-lens RF cameras it's best to restrict yourself to moderate
apertures. If you want to do close work at large apertures get out your SLR.

Chris

Last edited by ChrisPlatt; 05-23-2016 at 05:10 PM.
05-23-2016, 03:55 PM   #24
Site Supporter

Olympus Trip 35..easy no batteries needed 2.8/40
https://www.flickr.com/groups/olympustrip35/
05-24-2016, 07:42 AM   #25

Agree with ChrisPlatt, for that sort of work you need an SLR. Which brings me to what I was thinking overnight. What is she going to be shooting? If it's tight portraits then it's SLR territory, if it's street then something a bit quieter perhaps, for low light as fast a lens as possible, I'm guessing it's not nature or sports; maybe whatever she's going to point it at doesn't have any real requirements? Reminds me of a thread on the Rangefinder forum, a guy was getting carried away with spec for a MF folding rangefinder. He wanted to shoot landscapes though, and for that even a ham-fisted moron like me can scale focus something that doesn't move and with the necessarily DoF. So, we all love talking about gear, but the right answer will only come from the right question.
05-24-2016, 09:04 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

If she really wants to get lomo - the auto 110 is the smallest SLR I know of. Film is available via Lomography site if not elsewhere. The lenses are tiny etc. https://www.flickr.com/groups/pentax110/

But in the rangefinder world I'm partial to the Yashica Electro 35 series. Fast f/1.8 lenses are available and the cameras just feel good in the hand. But they are not tiny.
05-24-2016, 11:40 PM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If she really wants to get lomo - the auto 110 is the smallest SLR I know of. Film is available via Lomography site if not elsewhere. The lenses are tiny etc. https://www.flickr.com/groups/pentax110/

But in the rangefinder world I'm partial to the Yashica Electro 35 series. Fast f/1.8 lenses are available and the cameras just feel good in the hand. But they are not tiny.
I sold my Yashica GTN recently after shooting only one roll with it. Image quality was good but it was bigger than a 35mm SLR with 50/1.7 and for the same image quality and lens speed I prefer to have the advantages of an SLR.

I still have my Yashica Minister III which is a good little RF, though only f/2.8 and the light meter on mine is unreliable (as I suspect most would be these days).
06-01-2016, 10:14 PM   #28
Site Supporter

[IMG]
This will fit in her purse, and has a Xenar lens of excellent quality. Retina 1A. Great for street pictures.
06-02-2016, 06:57 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Ricoh GR1s.... They're teensy, pretty much full auto (with glorious snap focus), and a ton of fun and the lens is phenomenal for its size (and that of the camera). They're also usually nearly half the cost of the comparable Contax T2. Pure to the lineage, the current GR models are roughly the exact same size (though heavier). Battery dependent obviously, but dirt simple to get the hang of the different modes. And it's purse-size.

Last edited by chickentender; 06-02-2016 at 07:04 PM.
06-03-2016, 02:37 AM   #30

To my mind the OP hasn't really clarified what it's going to be for, and that's the crux of it. There are tons of different cameras out there.