Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-08-2016, 03:48 AM   #31

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Well, like I said math is beyond me. If it is not 0.67x then it would be 0.44x (using the square of the crop factor - 2.25). According to the Auto Bellows manual the Super-Takumar 85mm f/1.9 will give you that with 38mm of extension.

06-08-2016, 09:05 AM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IIRC, there is at least one forum member who has used bellows with slide copier successfully for this task. I guess I should set up my bellows and see what I can do. Before I do that, here are my ruminations:
  • With 35mm film, the intent is 1:1 reproduction ratio (1x magnification)
  • On APS-C the intent is 1:1.5 ratio (0.67x)
  • With a long enough rail and no issues with minimum extension (bellows + standards) or working distance (subject to lens filter ring), both magnifications are possible with any number of lenses.
  • Unfortunately, both rail length for the copier attachment and minimum extension for the bellows are both limiting dimensions.
  • Eye-balling the photo supplied by glee46, it appears that the standards are thin and the working distance is not bad
I set up my Bellows K with the ST 55/1.8 and came up with the following for a 36mm horizontal FOV:
  • ~235mm, subject to focal plane (probably not pertinent)
  • ~157mm, subject to front standard mount flange (probably also not pertinent)
  • ~34mm, maximum* bellows extension (must be within adjustment range of bellows)
  • ~116mm working distance (subject to front of filter ring...must be within adjustment range of slide copier attachment)
Not having the actual setup in front of me, it is hard to speculate how well it would work, but I suspect that both 50mm and 55mm lenses will work. A shorter focal length (e.g. 35mm) would allow for shorter working distance, but might not allow sufficient bellows extension. Going longer (e.g. 85mm) may result in working distance longer than the slide copier's bellows. If 50mm, I would suggest the ST 50/2.8 Macro. Flatness of field counts when doing duplication. FWIW, 50mm works with the Bellows K, but just barely.

Steve

* I set the lens focus to infinity in order overcome the minimum available extension for the Bellows K.

Last edited by stevebrot; 06-08-2016 at 09:18 AM.
06-08-2016, 12:05 PM   #33

I will have to play with my Auto Bellows A and a film body. Take into account that slide mounts cut off a bit of the frame which is why film body viewfinders were not ~100%. ~95% I seem to remember reading somewhere.
06-08-2016, 01:40 PM   #34
Veteran Member

So I played around some more with the Pentax Bellows and Slide Copier. With the Takumar 55/1.8, and with the bellows fully compressed, you can actually (barely) get a 24x36 frame onto an APS-C camera.
One problem is... the slide copier has a short bellows which attaches to the front of the lens to block extraneous light, but it is to short to reach the lens at the 1:1.5 distance.
Here's my solution

06-08-2016, 05:15 PM   #35
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
IIRC, there is at least one forum member who has used bellows with slide copier successfully for this task. I guess I should set up my bellows and see what I can do. Before I do that, here are my ruminations:
Not having the actual setup in front of me, it is hard to speculate how well it would work, but I suspect that both 50mm and 55mm lenses will work. A shorter focal length (e.g. 35mm) would allow for shorter working distance, but might not allow sufficient bellows extension. Going longer (e.g. 85mm) may result in working distance longer than the slide copier's bellows. If 50mm, I would suggest the ST 50/2.8 Macro. Flatness of field counts when doing duplication. FWIW, 50mm works with the Bellows K, but just barely.

Steve.
Until I get my bellows I'm in the same boat here as to what might work and what won't without some type of hack. I would really love to be able to use my K-1 with my Pentax D FA 100mm F2.8 WR Macro. I hope to have everything by Monday, including the Bellows/Slide Copier, Shutter Cord for my ME Super Winder ll, My K3ll, and my Tamron 28-75mm f.2,8. It's going to look a lot like Christmas here.

---------- Post added 06-08-16 at 05:18 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Swift1 Quote
So I played around some more with the Pentax Bellows and Slide Copier. With the Takumar 55/1.8, and with the bellows fully compressed, you can actually (barely) get a 24x36 frame onto an APS-C camera.
One problem is... the slide copier has a short bellows which attaches to the front of the lens to block extraneous light, but it is to short to reach the lens at the 1:1.5 distance.
Here's my solution
Hey, if it works it's all good. Have you taken a shot with it yet?
06-08-2016, 05:43 PM - 1 Like   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
Hey, if it works it's all good. Have you taken a shot with it yet?
Yes... this is from today.
Kodachrome 64 slide, "scanned" with the above setup.

---------- Post added 06-08-2016 at 05:45 PM ----------

100% crop from same photo

06-08-2016, 05:55 PM   #37
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
Shutter Cord for my ME Super Winder ll
Whoa! I own the ME Winder II and have been vaguely aware of the cable remote and have never seen one. It is what, 15 feet long?

Steve

06-08-2016, 06:19 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Whoa! I own the ME Winder II and have been vaguely aware of the cable remote and have never seen one. It is what, 15 feet long?

Steve
I think it is 15 feet. I got it for $18.01 shipped. It says for LX, but I've read where it will work on ME Winder ll. It has the same connector where it plugs into the winder. I'll let you know if it works after it gets here on Monday. Here's the link of what I purchased: http://www.ebay.com/itm/262435592873

I think I saw a few others on ebay as well.

---------- Post added 06-08-16 at 06:23 PM ----------

Yes... this is from today.
Kodachrome 64 slide, "scanned" with the above setup.

100% crop from same photo
Wow! That's great. I'm glad I'm not having to start off by doing 5,000 slides. I just got into film, love it and jumping in to develop my own film and process it into digital, + PP in Lightroom & Photoshop. I'm only doing B&W. I'll be sure to post my results and how I set my rig up.

Last edited by glee46; 06-08-2016 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Added Link
06-09-2016, 04:49 AM - 1 Like   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Impressive results! What WOULD we do without Duct Tape (or is it Gaffers Tape).

Regards,
06-09-2016, 09:46 AM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Here's my solution
That works!

QuoteOriginally posted by BigDave Quote
Impressive results! What WOULD we do without Duct Tape (or is it Gaffers Tape).
I wonder how much it would cost to fabricate a replacement bellows with longer reach. Seeing Colton's results have me thinking that maybe I should be considering other options for digitizing 35mm.

Steve
06-09-2016, 01:53 PM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I wonder how much it would cost to fabricate a replacement bellows with longer reach.
Option 2- get another bellows system, a cheap one, and cannibalize it for the bellows itself. Then making a frame/standard for the two to mate together might be easier. Between glue, duct tape and a dremel tool, you should be able to do it!

Regards,
06-09-2016, 05:59 PM - 1 Like   #42

There are companies that make custom bellows. Check a search engine or eBay.

Why bother when a cardboard tube will do the trick. You still have the bellows on the slide copier for adjustment. Or you can make a telescoping tube. Glue a step up ring or de-glassed filter ring on the ends if you want to get fancy.
06-12-2016, 01:39 PM - 1 Like   #43
Veteran Member

Here's the early makeshift demo video by Jamie Maldonado of the copy-table method which is what I've (as mentioned) intended to setup, simply so that I can tinker with and then note different heights and settings for different film stocks, formats, etc.. Just a cheap light-table/light-pad, a copy-stand, and a DSLR.

His ridiculously good results (and he's fine-tuned over the past couple years) speak for themselves.

This example is a 2-shot stitch.