Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-07-2016, 10:40 PM   #1

KX - Focussing Screen Mod

Does anyone here know if it would be possible to modify the focussing screen of the KX to resemble that of the SL?

Personally I find the needles and shutter speed display distracting when framing a shot. I also wonder if someone like Eric could remove all the light meter electronics from the camera to save weight? Essentially what I'm after is a K-mount version of the SL. Shame they never made one.

06-08-2016, 01:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Way subjective call but you could try a K1000 for ergonomics/distraction.
Lots about.
Sell easy if you don't like as the Kx will in original shape.
The missing bits don't worry me I'd rather do without the meter needle but you can leave the battery out to stop it moving.
06-08-2016, 03:14 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried the Super A? It doesn't have any overlays on the focusing screen, just two small windows below it similar to the K-X's aperture window that instead contain LCD displays.

I know I recommend this camera a lot Not fully analog, but still feels like a good old film-era camera, and it supports the 4 basic shooting modes.

That said, I'm sure Eric could remove the needle for you, but not necessarily the outlines on the right side of the viewfinder.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-08-2016, 03:26 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

I suspect it would be simpler to mask off the meter needle area of a KM or K1000.
It should be easy to find one with a non-working meter, too.

Chris

06-08-2016, 04:03 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

The trouble with the Super A, at least as far as my testing has revealed, is that it has no mechanical fallback AT ALL. None. Not even in 125X mode.

You could try an MX; the metering light ladder is well off to the side, and with the batteries dumped it wouldn't be noticed at all. You could mask the "Judas window" through which the aperture setting is visible easily enough. The only other possible distraction is the dial over the right hand side of the VF that reports the shutter speed, but I find that easy to ignore when I'm framing. In addition it's quite a small camera, significantly more so than the SV, the last of the pre-Spotmatics.

It also has the advantage of having a split screen focusing system as standard, if that floats your boat. I find it's one of only two things the Spotmatic F is lacking that would make it perfect (the other is a meter-off switch linked to the shutter button lock).
06-08-2016, 05:16 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
Way subjective call but you could try a K1000 for ergonomics/distraction.
Thanks for the suggestion. I do not own a K1000 so I will investigate.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Have you tried the Super A?
I haven't tried the Super A, but I'm very familiar with the ME Super which was my first Pentax. I have since moved away from AE / electronic cameras and enjoy shooting fully mechanical, meterless cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
You could try an MX
You're quite right - the viewfinder of the MX has little in the way to distract you. But even so, I feel that the overall quality of camera was compromised for size-reduction purposes. These days I prefer the solid feel of the KX / SP shape.
06-08-2016, 05:35 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RR84 Quote
Thanks for the suggestion. I do not own a K1000 so I will investigate.
This is what you would see with a K1000, or a KM, or a Spotmatic for the matter:

If you remove the battery the needle should be in the middle, if it's still too disturbing I think the only solution is to go with the meterless version of the Spotmatic.
06-08-2016, 07:21 AM - 1 Like   #8

I think it would be a shame to muck up a perfectly good KX by taking out the meter.

I agree with suggestions about using a K1000. Even better if you can find one with a dud meter. It wouldn't be too hard to remove the meter with its needle. A little bit of dexterity with some thin blackout tape can blank out the metering bracket too.

Soooo .... what you really are after is a Pentax K version of a plain-prism Nikon F?

06-08-2016, 07:53 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
I think it would be a shame to muck up a perfectly good KX by taking out the meter.

I agree with suggestions about using a K1000. Even better if you can find one with a dud meter. It wouldn't be too hard to remove the meter with its needle. A little bit of dexterity with some thin blackout tape can blank out the metering bracket too.

Soooo .... what you really are after is a Pentax K version of a plain-prism Nikon F?
Probably a F2 as the F has more mirror bounce.
But I can cope with the compelling distraction of the needle and cut out if the battery is removed.
And that is simple to do.
Though everyone is different in the distraction domain.
I don't mind the missing bits as they don't distract... Stop down, self timer, etc.

I'd spend all day watching the needle it is like a hypodermic needle...
06-08-2016, 08:46 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

These days I prefer the solid feel of the KX / SP shape.
Ergonomics is such an individual thing; one must bow to personal preferences in this regard. Overall I think your best answer is probably to gut the needle out of a K1000 whose meter is kaput. Ask Eric, and tell him what you have planned - he may have one lying around as a dead-meter parts camera that he can fix up for you, make sure the shutter is calibrated, etc., maybe even put in a split prism if you want one.
06-08-2016, 11:49 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I suspect it would be simpler to mask off the meter needle area of a KM or K1000.
It should be easy to find one with a non-working meter, too.
+1 Get a KM.

Phil.
06-08-2016, 05:30 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ontarian50 Quote
Pretty much.

QuoteOriginally posted by Xmas Quote
Probably a F2 as the F has more mirror bounce.
I'm currently looking at a black Nikon F2 with a meterless eye-level finder.

Ask Eric, and tell him what you have planned
I did email Eric. Let's see what he says (if he replies).

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
+1 Get a KM.
The KM seems like a K-mount version of the SPF. Could be a possible candidate if I stick with Pentax.
06-09-2016, 01:47 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Get a KM.

The classic display of the KM and K1000 is sublime.
It is not distracting. You might even find it useful.

Chris
06-09-2016, 06:07 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

The KM seems like a K-mount version of the SPF.
From all that I have read and learned here, that's exactly what it is.
06-09-2016, 06:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
From all that I have read and learned here, that's exactly what it is.
To be picky, the SPF has a shutter release lock while the KM does not.