Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2008, 03:12 PM   #61
Pentaxian
Ratmagiclady's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,464
QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
I hate you all! I hate you! I'm just so far behind, with my miserable collection of K100DS, K1000 and ME-F (which doesn't even meter anymore) and half-a-dozen lenses. I'll never catch up. It's galling!
I have no K-mount *lenses! *Everyone's* ahead of me, for purposes of this discussion.

12-09-2008, 03:19 PM   #62
Pentaxian
Ratmagiclady's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,464
QuoteOriginally posted by pasipasi Quote
I wouldn't bother with the P series slrs, as they're pretty plastic and not (much) cheaper than the better bodies. I have two P series bodies and I rarely use them anymore after I got a Me Super and then Super A.
Thanks, then. I wasn't about to drop the money any time soon, just seemed like another plastic apology for not making a film camera to me, apart from the nice color. You never know what someone might be looking for, is all.
12-09-2008, 03:23 PM   #63
Forum Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Finland
Posts: 70
QuoteOriginally posted by pasipasi Quote
I wouldn't bother with the P series slrs, as they're pretty plastic and not (much) cheaper than the better bodies. I have two P series bodies and I rarely use them anymore after I got a Me Super and then Super A.
I think that the main problem with P30n is the lack of EV compensation (is compensated with AE-lock) and the auto-iso that can't be changed. IMHO the handling is great and the lightmeter is more informative in dark than for example in the ME super since you can read the shutter speed easily. The plastic exterior can be a turn-off for some though, but I find it robust enough and more suitable to my hand, since the body is bigger .
12-09-2008, 04:11 PM   #64
Veteran Member
pasipasi's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Oulu
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 533
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by solisti Quote
I think that the main problem with P30n is the lack of EV compensation (is compensated with AE-lock) and the auto-iso that can't be changed. IMHO the handling is great and the lightmeter is more informative in dark than for example in the ME super since you can read the shutter speed easily. The plastic exterior can be a turn-off for some though, but I find it robust enough and more suitable to my hand, since the body is bigger .
For some reason the P-series vf vignettes.

If the handling is better than in Me Super, try Super A with a finger grip

12-09-2008, 04:16 PM   #65
Site Supporter
ChrisPlatt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 4,433
I bought my wife a Pentax P3n camera. I liked it so much I picked up the very similar P30T.

These cameras have a nice combination of features not found together on earlier Pentax models,
yet have simple, straightforward operation. They're real bargains, too. IMO definitely worth a look!
12-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #66
Pentaxian
Ratmagiclady's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,464
I think that the main problem with P30n is the lack of EV compensation (is compensated with AE-lock) and the auto-iso that can't be changed."

Never set store by any kind of EV compensation on camera that manual couldn't do faster. Frankly, I'd rather point the camera somewhere that'll give me the reading I want, hold that, and go ahead and fire. How many stops the meter is fooled by isn't something I want to take my hand off the lens to try and outguess.
12-09-2008, 04:24 PM   #67
Site Supporter
ChrisPlatt's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Queens NYC
Posts: 4,433
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady:
Frankly, I'd rather point the camera somewhere that'll give me the reading I want, hold that, and go ahead and fire.
Substitute metering with exposure memory lock gives fast manual control to AE. A powerful tool indeed!

Chris
12-09-2008, 04:36 PM   #68
Pentaxian
Ratmagiclady's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: GA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 13,464
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
I bought my wife a Pentax P3n camera. I liked it so much I picked up the very similar P30T.

These cameras have a nice combination of features not found together on earlier Pentax models,
yet have simple, straightforward operation. They're real bargains, too. IMO definitely worth a look!
Actually, I think this place up the way had one of those P3s, too, just black, as well as a ZX-M, or Mz-M.... Plastic manual focus one but with real dials. When I handled them, I was more interested in checking out the lenses on there, but I saw some laudable efforts at maintaining a conventional layout, pretty much spoiled by the fact, in the latter case, that it felt less solid than the cap to my Gatorade bottle. The P3 was something like, 'I never thought I'd be saying they don't make em like they used to about *this.'

12-09-2008, 04:48 PM   #69
Veteran Member
AndrewG NY's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chappaqua, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 676
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Man the SF7 is large and homely looking. I think your first row cameras are in the sweet spot of film pentaxes, they have enough automation to make them easy, but still are made of enough metal etc to make them robust.

Which is your favorite?
I initially was amazed at what a big, nasty, heavy, dark-viewfinder, noisy, hard-cornered beast the SF1 is when I got my first one. I since have added another one and an SF7 that came with some F-glass. The first one is my favorite of the three and I was surprised to find that it has grown on me a quite bit though. I actually enjoyed shooting with it, though it's more comfortable with the never-ready case bottom helping to pad the "grip".
12-09-2008, 04:54 PM   #70
Veteran Member
AndrewG NY's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Chappaqua, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 676
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I've always wanted a better condition SuperProgram, couldn't help to hit the Buy It Now button this morning when I saw these:

This is my third SuperProgram, and hopefully a long time keeper
Sweet kit, frank. Why did they insist on putting those stupid 'PASSED' stickers all over everything?

(I think other Japanese cameramakers had them too--maybe some sort of Japanese consumer-friendly laws or at least convention?)
12-09-2008, 05:27 PM   #71
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the present
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,870
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Mz-M.... When I handled them, I was more interested in checking out the lenses on there, but I saw some laudable efforts at maintaining a conventional layout, pretty much spoiled by the fact, in the latter case, that it felt less solid than the cap to my Gatorade bottle.
Actually, precisely because it is so small AND has a split screen, I use my Mz-M a LOT in some pretty sketchy situations with my manual glass. I ski with it. I climb with it. I fish with it. And it's ALWAYS in my trunk in a holster. Mine has seen a lot of use and is still ticking. The plastic mount is not an issue, since I ONLY use screwmount lenses... a metal M42 adapter is on it ALL the time.

It's about the size of a Spotmatic, and generally speaking has something approaching match needle metering. When used in conjunction with M42 lenses, the camera uses center-weighted metering. So it behaves JUST like a Spotmatic.

The layout is familiar, quick and easy, and the camera is lighter than my Spottie. It is my latter day replacement for my Spotmatic for serious days out shooting. I'll always shoot the Spottie, but for a day at the local aggie fair or climbing around one of the gorges around here, the MZ-M is really a nice find.

I don't know how it would do in a drop, but given the $40.00 I paid for my mint copy, I'd like as not be more concerned about the lens. About the only thing that does stink is the lack of diopter adjustment, but the split screen seems to take care of that overall for me.

Overall, this is a nice little camera, and it was a stop on the way to picking up a ZX-7/MZ-7, for which I am currently looking. Here we have AF capability, a pop-up flash, metal lens mount, diopter. In short, I can use it as the MZ-M and add capability to use my other FF lenses as AF lenses. Indeed, it appears to be wholly possible to replace the stock focus screen in the MZ-7 with the MZ-M split screen, so it looks a winner...

I got over plastic with my PZ-1. I seem to have gotten over polycarbonate with my MZ-M... <g>

Seaain
12-09-2008, 06:45 PM   #72
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
QuoteOriginally posted by AndrewG NY Quote
Sweet kit, frank. Why did they insist on putting those stupid 'PASSED' stickers all over everything?

(I think other Japanese cameramakers had them too--maybe some sort of Japanese consumer-friendly laws or at least convention?)
Thanks Andrew I think the first thing I'd do is to take those stickers off when the package reaches. Bought several used lenses w/ those stickers on too, but they were off in 5min when I had them ...
12-09-2008, 07:08 PM   #73
Veteran Member
dantuyhoa's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: California
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,245
Nice buy there frank !
12-09-2008, 10:11 PM   #74
Site Supporter




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 826
QuoteOriginally posted by Ratmagiclady Quote
Actually, I think this place up the way had one of those P3s, too, just black, as well as a ZX-M, or Mz-M.... Plastic manual focus one but with real dials. When I handled them, I was more interested in checking out the lenses on there, but I saw some laudable efforts at maintaining a conventional layout, pretty much spoiled by the fact, in the latter case, that it felt less solid than the cap to my Gatorade bottle. The P3 was something like, 'I never thought I'd be saying they don't make em like they used to about *this.'
Interesting thread.

Over the last year I've bought some lenses from local sellers. In 3 cases they gifted me their Pentax film bodies. I've been given a MZ-50, a P-Z1P and a LX. The LX was well used so I did have to get it completely rebuilt & CLA'd.

I also bought an entire Pentax kit which included another LX + accessories, so this one didn't technically come free. I also had to pay to get this one overhauled.

The LX is a nice camera. OK, I admit it's better than nice. But my favorite film body is still the MZ-S/BG-10 grip combination.

This is somewhat off topic but does anybody besides me note the irony when they see threads/posts about wanting a full frame D-SLR? For $100-$150 you can buy a very nice manual or autofocus film body and get "full frame". A full frame D-SLR will probably cost well in excess of $2,000... that pays for an indefinite supply of film, in other words. Plus you have to worry about upgrading within 18 months.

Last edited by tranq78; 12-09-2008 at 10:18 PM. Reason: spelling
12-09-2008, 10:35 PM   #75
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Copenhagen
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,845
QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
I've always wanted a better condition SuperProgram, couldn't help to hit the Buy It Now button this morning when I saw these:


This is my third SuperProgram, and hopefully a long time keeper
Congratulations Frank. That looks to be in outstanding condition




QuoteOriginally posted by tranq78 Quote
This is somewhat off topic but does anybody besides me note the irony when they see threads/posts about wanting a full frame D-SLR? For $100-$150 you can buy a very nice manual or autofocus film body and get "full frame". A full frame D-SLR will probably cost well in excess of $2,000... that pays for an indefinite supply of film, in other words. Plus you have to worry about upgrading within 18 months.
Should I need extreme wide angle, I would go for an ultra wide prime and a film camera set-up with fine-grained film. K10 / K20 would do it for my needs in digital.

I learn a whole lot more about basic photography, slowing down and using a manual film cam, than I would if I would be firing away with a FF digital. (But these are just my needs at the moment; everybody is entitled to their own view).
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
bodies, body, film, fun, pentax, people, slr, week
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale - Sold: Pentax K-7 SLR Digital Camera Body Only sbbtim Sold Items 15 12-18-2009 01:25 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax P3n film SLR camera body, EX yb_abq Sold Items 1 06-16-2009 02:29 PM
first post. just bought first slr iamgus_gus Post Your Photos! 5 11-18-2006 07:02 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:04 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top