Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-14-2016, 10:00 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It definitely takes some "massaging" to dial in a dSLR scan setup. You'll get there.
USM is "unsharp mask", aka sharpening. Sounds like they were lab-scanned with a Noritsu. Every scanner will apply some amount of sharpening and curve & color adjustment, usually with profiles for the given film, or just a lab tech that knows what they're doing with a more high-end scanner. My point is that the lab scans will not be a "neutral" scan of your film but will have in effect been "post processed" a good bit to make the scan more like what they assume you were going for or characteristic that paticular film would exhibit. You DSLR-scanned RAW images will still need some amount of PP in most cases.

---------- Post added 06-14-16 at 10:06 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
I think the Pixel shift would make a difference and I'm going to give that a shot today.
It could, but it won't matter much until you get a proper flat film surface for a good shot first. What aperture are you shooting/scanning at? Your best bet for sharpness and proper detail, especially if the film isn't completely flat, is to stop down your aperture and increase your DOF as well as IQ.

06-14-2016, 12:44 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
USM is one of several different sharpening strategies (e.g. high pass filtering, deconvolution, etc.) that can be used, so I wouldn't exactly call it the "proper" name for it.
You are correct and I stand corrected. More properly, it is the proper name for a commonly-used sharpening strategy and is also the name for a long-lived Photoshop filter used for sharpening. For many folk, "USM" is another way of saying "sharpening" and may safely be taken as such in other than more advanced technical discussions.

Steve
06-14-2016, 01:47 PM - 1 Like   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Cheers. I felt I had to take exception, since I am a photographer who actually prefers other methods to USM. We do exist!
I'm not picky...I just use the sliders in Lightroom, though recently have been paying more attention to the fine points of doing so.

Steve

(...feeling grateful to have Martin Evening's Lightroom book with its excellent chapter on sharpening and noise reduction.)
06-14-2016, 01:53 PM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I'm not picky...I just use the sliders in Lightroom, though recently have been paying more attention to the fine points of doing so.

Steve

(...feeling grateful to have Martin Evening's Lightroom book with its excellent chapter on sharpening and noise reduction.)
I genuinely love Lightroom... have used it more and more since the first version and these days I open Photoshop perahps 5-10 per year.