Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-12-2016, 08:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got a weird Adapter

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

On my bellows there is an adapter which looks like a K mount. It's suppose to go into the camera. It fits, but it won't lock in. It doesn't work on any of my DSLR's or film SLR's. Anyone have any idea where I can go from here?

It's this one:

This is the way it looks on the bellows.

06-12-2016, 09:48 PM   #2

See of you can unscrew the M42 adapter. Use a K-mount rear cap as a wrench. If the clip was removed it may have been glued on. If a thread locker was used you may be able to break the locker with the rear cap wrench. Otherwise you might need a solvent or apply heat to soften the glue - unless it is epoxy.
06-12-2016, 10:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This is one solid piece here. On close inspection, it looks like there was a small screw holding something. It more than likely pushed on something inside the camera body so that it could turn and lock. It's above the orange dot.

Here's a picture:

06-12-2016, 10:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The reason you cannot mount It on the camera with the adapter mounted on the in 42 mount, is because the K Mount adapter is recessed into the Camera mount. The bayonets on the K Mount adapter will not reach deep enough into the camera body.

First, remove the K Mount adapter from the M 42 Mount. Use a rear lens cap, as a wrench if it is tight. Installed the K Mount adapter into your camera. now remove the in 42 Mount from the bellows, there's a small Thumbscrew that will release it on the top and side of the bellows and screw it into the K Mount adapter. Now mount this assembly on to the bellows and level it.

this should solve your problem.

Have fun.

Joe.

06-12-2016, 10:49 PM   #5

If you can't get the ring loose you could try cutting a notch in the bellow adapter for the K-mount lock pin. Although it looks like there is barely enough diameter to do this. The pin might slip or get damaged.

You do not want to attach the spring clip to the M42 adapter or else you won't be able to release it from the camera body.

From my experience with using the bellows and the genuine Pentax M42 adapter is that there is still some play and the camera body can rotate on the adapter for a few degrees no matter how much you tighten everything.

I considered using one of the flanged screw-mount adapters which have a lock notch on them. The extra 1-2mm wouldn't matter on the bellows.
06-12-2016, 11:20 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I considered using one of the flanged screw-mount adapters which have a lock notch on them. The extra 1-2mm wouldn't matter on the bellows.
Do you have a link where I can see one of these flanged screw-mount adapters. Most of what I see doing a Google search doesn't look like it will work.

I have these which I purchased back in 2011: Macro Extension Three Rings Tube for Pentax K/PK Camera Lens

The K-Mount adapter from the bellows will fit & turn but won't lock. I take it that is because the spring is missing. So it seems that if I can find a Pentax PK mount I might be able to get it to work.
06-12-2016, 11:33 PM   #7

It won't do you much good if you can't get the adapter off the bellows adapter.

M42 Lens to Pentax PK K100D K200D K10D K20D Adapter | eBay

The spring clip on the flangeless adapter is accessed through the cutouts on the adaper. Since the bellows adapter covers the cutouts you would not be able to release the clip. You might be able to access it from the underside through the opening on the adapter but you risk damaging something in the mirror box. Do not install a replacement spring clip unless you can separate the two adapters.

06-13-2016, 03:34 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
I have the same bellows. As all above have indicated you need to separate the two adapters which are jammed together. When this is done you install an m42 adapter into your camera. Use a bona fide Pentax adapter or a flanged adapter as shown by "Not a Number". You then insert the M42 end piece of the bellows unit into the cameras M42 adapter. Then slide the camera with adapters into the bellows unit and tighten the screw on the RHS to hold camera to bellows, making sure camera is oriented correctly.
06-13-2016, 07:20 AM   #9

This is what the bellows adapter looks like without the M42 adapter. The M42 adapter should screw off unless it has been glued on. Likely since the clip was removed.

06-13-2016, 10:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachboy2 Quote
I have the same bellows. As all above have indicated you need to separate the two adapters which are jammed together. When this is done you install an m42 adapter into your camera. Use a bona fide Pentax adapter or a flanged adapter as shown by "Not a Number". You then insert the M42 end piece of the bellows unit into the cameras M42 adapter. Then slide the camera with adapters into the bellows unit and tighten the screw on the RHS to hold camera to bellows, making sure camera is oriented correctly.

This is one solid piece of metal. There is no glue or anything between the front and back.

I've added a few more pictures to show.

The mount is different from the one in the manual. It's a male M42 in the manual which came with the bellows. This type of K mount seen in the picture above will go in, but it won't turn. I have a pair of cheap Zykkor Macro Extension Tube Pentax PK which it will fit and even turn, but won't lock. The extra length prevents me from getting full coverage of the negative with my Pentax Full Frame K-1

---------- Post added 06-13-16 at 10:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
This is what the bellows adapter looks like without the M42 adapter. The M42 adapter should screw off unless it has been glued on. Likely since the clip was removed.
Your picture shows what it's suppose to me. A M42 male which screws into a M42 Adapter on all Pentax DSLR and even Film SLR.
This is what I need and what shows in the manual. Until I get what you're showing I'm dead in the water I think.
06-13-2016, 10:47 AM   #11
Veteran Member

That is definitely a M42-K converter on there.
06-13-2016, 10:55 AM   #12
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree with bertwert. The reason it won't lock into the camera's mount is that the locking spring has been removed from that M42-to-K adapter, a common modification to avoid getting it stuck in the camera
06-13-2016, 10:58 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Try putting a rear K lens cap and screwing HARD to the left (with the cap).
That should remove it.
06-13-2016, 12:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Seriously, it's not one piece of metal. The picture you showed with the screw hole is where the catch spring was connected:
You can see the placement of the spring on this image. You can also see the cutouts on the left and right that are clearly visible on yours.

Here's an image of two adapters, one with the spring on, and one with it off:

(pay no attention to the filing instructions - they are part of the tutorial I lifted this image from)
Trust me, it's one solid piece Look at the same type of mount in Post #10. It's a M42 Male Thread which goes into a M42 adapter on the camera. I'm making a video to show everyone what I am talking about & to show that this is one solid piece.

---------- Post added 06-13-16 at 01:17 PM ----------

I need to apologize to everyone here. You were right. It was an adapter which using a pair of pliers I was able to get off an attach an M42 adapter. I've played around with these things for years & I got tunnel vision. I was so sure about something that I lost sight of what was right before me. Of course, I feel like an idiot, but very grateful to those here, & to the seller who has been outstanding in helping me see.
06-13-2016, 01:24 PM   #15
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by glee46 Quote
I need to apologize to everyone here. You were right. It was an adapter which using a pair of pliers I was able to get off an attach an M42 adapter. I've played around with these things for years & I got tunnel vision. I was so sure about something that I lost sight of what was right before me. Of course, I feel like an idiot, but very grateful to those here, & to the seller who has been outstanding in helping me see.
No apology needed, I'm just glad for you (and for my sanity) that you figured it out! I looked at post #10 and could see what you meant, but in post #11 you can see that the K-mount piece isn't the same lump of metal as the M42 bit. I was just about to reply when I read your last post

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-13-2016 at 02:09 PM.