Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2016, 11:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just got an LX.... and slow shutter speed seem way too slow

OK... I got myself in trouble for getting an LX... lol

Put in fresh battery. Auto mode seem to works.
Then I check the shutter speed from 1/2000 to 4s.

For 1/2000 to 1/125, it seem accurate.
However, as it goes below 1/60, it seem taken way too long, like 1s would be 2 or 3 sec, and 4sec would be like 6sec.
(same in auto mode, the shutter seem to open way longer than it indicate in the vf)

Is this... consider sticky mirror problem? I search online and couldn't found how the sticky mirror sound like...

The seller assure me that shutter speed works at all speed...

06-16-2016, 12:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I would think an LX worth a CLA even if it didn't show any obvious signs, just to bring it up to spec and assure
good, reliable, accurate use. If the seals are gone, it's almost certainly due for a CLA. Why not reach out
to Eric and secure an estimate for cleaning? Home

It may also be worthwhile to contact the seller and express your dissatisfaction with the actual state of the camera
relative to it's advertised condition. You may be able to negotiate a partial refund. However, if you feel the purchase
price already reflects the cost of a CLA, you may simply wish to return it.

Good Luck.
06-16-2016, 12:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
OK... I got myself in trouble for getting an LX... lol

Put in fresh battery. Auto mode seem to works.
Then I check the shutter speed from 1/2000 to 4s.

For 1/2000 to 1/125, it seem accurate.
However, as it goes below 1/60, it seem taken way too long, like 1s would be 2 or 3 sec, and 4sec would be like 6sec.
(same in auto mode, the shutter seem to open way longer than it indicate in the vf)

Is this... consider sticky mirror problem? I search online and couldn't found how the sticky mirror sound like...

The seller assure me that shutter speed works at all speed...
Do you have a camera body recently CLA'd or in known-good working order? Try some shutter speed tests in parallel, e.g. set them next to one another on a table at the same set speed and fire them at the same time.

---------- Post added 06-16-16 at 12:54 PM ----------

Also note - if you do not have film in the LX, the Automatic mode will likely produce noticeably longer than shown exposure speeds because it will attempt to dynamically meter off the film plane but only have the pressure plate with which to do so, which is far less reflective.

Pentax LX - How does its metering works
06-16-2016, 02:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I would think an LX worth a CLA even if it didn't show any obvious signs, just to bring it up to spec and assure
good, reliable, accurate use. If the seals are gone, it's almost certainly due for a CLA. Why not reach out
to Eric and secure an estimate for cleaning? Home

It may also be worthwhile to contact the seller and express your dissatisfaction with the actual state of the camera
relative to it's advertised condition. You may be able to negotiate a partial refund. However, if you feel the purchase
price already reflects the cost of a CLA, you may simply wish to return it.

Good Luck.
the camera is in pretty good shape from the look of it. the guy said he has no problem using it, and shutter is accurate. .. so I bought it.
I probably will send it to cla, but would like to know if this is a serious problem or just a minor problem that can be fix easily. .. and suggest we split the cost of repairing it.... thanks for your advice!

by the way... here is the video showing the shutter speed: https://youtu.be/sbe21w2Q-Es

Last edited by LFLee; 06-16-2016 at 02:48 PM.
06-16-2016, 02:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
It is normal for the camera to behave like this in auto mode if there is no film in the camera. It is not normal in manual mode.
06-16-2016, 02:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Do you have a camera body recently CLA'd or in known-good working order? Try some shutter speed tests in parallel, e.g. set them next to one another on a table at the same set speed and fire them at the same time.

---------- Post added 06-16-16 at 12:54 PM ----------

Also note - if you do not have film in the LX, the Automatic mode will likely produce noticeably longer than shown exposure speeds because it will attempt to dynamically meter off the film plane but only have the pressure plate with which to do so, which is far less reflective.

Pentax LX - How does its metering works
thanks! here is the video showing the shutter speed... it is obvious that it is slow. the 4s one took about 9 sec to complete. ..

---------- Post added 06-16-2016 at 05:52 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pål Jensen Quote
It is normal for the camera to behave like this in auto mode if there is no film in the camera. It is not normal in manual mode.
thanks! yeah, I double check the manual and from 1/60 to 4s, it need battery, and I put fresh battery in. (if battery is dying the mirror will lock, apparently for LX).
here is the vid showing the shutter speed:
06-16-2016, 03:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Yup - those are most definitely slow. Could be sticky mirror, could be circuitry, could just need a cleaning or a combination of any of those. Send it off to EricH. Chances are it'll come back good as new.

06-16-2016, 04:08 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yup - those are most definitely slow. Could be sticky mirror, could be circuitry, could just need a cleaning or a combination of any of those. Send it off to EricH. Chances are it'll come back good as new.
hm... do you know if this is a simple problem or something serious that will cost a lot to fix? would like to discuss with seller before I send it off....

sigh... thinking I could shoot with it this weekend.
06-16-2016, 04:53 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

In your video, I can hear that the mirror assembly is slow at 4s, etc..
Another test you can run is to open the film door (in full manual mode) and observe the shutter curtains to see if they really are slow, too.

I have a Pentax MX that I thought had a slow shutter. It turned out that it had a slow mirror assembly, but the shutter assembly was actually accurate.
The mirror timer in the bottom of the MX had gotten 'gunked up', and would run very slowly when the camera was set to slow shutter speeds.
06-16-2016, 05:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Moe49 Quote
In your video, I can hear that the mirror assembly is slow at 4s, etc..
Another test you can run is to open the film door (in full manual mode) and observe the shutter curtains to see if they really are slow, too.

I have a Pentax MX that I thought had a slow shutter. It turned out that it had a slow mirror assembly, but the shutter assembly was actually accurate.
The mirror timer in the bottom of the MX had gotten 'gunked up', and would run very slowly when the camera was set to slow shutter speeds.
Thanks! I can just leave the film door open and dry fire the shutter?

will this cause any problem?
06-16-2016, 06:22 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
Thanks! I can just leave the film door open and dry fire the shutter?

will this cause any problem?
None at all. If it's the mirror, you can shoot with it. If it's the mirror and shutter you *can* shoot with it but be wary of over-exposures.
Either way it sounds as if it needs a CLA no matter what and chances are that will solve all your problems unless there is a problem with the circuit board. A CLA by EricH for an LX is around $250 if I remember correctly. They're much more expensive to service than most from the era because he must source and replace all the weather sealing on that body. But the upshot is you won't do it again for another 20 years and you'll have a bang-on LX to go shoot with.
06-16-2016, 07:18 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If you think it's the mirror, you can lock it up so that it is not in the equation.
06-17-2016, 04:40 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
If you think it's the mirror, you can lock it up so that it is not in the equation.
Yes I would suggest to lock it up, point the camera to a light source and dry fire it checking the times the curtains close.

I always do that with new cameras and everything is OK.
06-17-2016, 08:46 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A CLA by EricH for an LX is around $250 if I remember correctly.
Yep expensive, but worth every penny.

Phil.
06-17-2016, 09:02 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
None at all. If it's the mirror, you can shoot with it. If it's the mirror and shutter you *can* shoot with it but be wary of over-exposures.
Either way it sounds as if it needs a CLA no matter what and chances are that will solve all your problems unless there is a problem with the circuit board. A CLA by EricH for an LX is around $250 if I remember correctly. They're much more expensive to service than most from the era because he must source and replace all the weather sealing on that body. But the upshot is you won't do it again for another 20 years and you'll have a bang-on LX to go shoot with.
Send to Eric and he said is both mirror and shutter, quote $300... I got the camera for $300.
it seem shutter curtain did open as long as the sound did:

But if the CLA can give me a good LX for many years to come (Eric only have 6 months warranty on LX...), should be worth it.... but not sure if the seller wants to share the repair cost.

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Cuthbert Quote
Yes I would suggest to lock it up, point the camera to a light source and dry fire it checking the times the curtains close.

I always do that with new cameras and everything is OK.
Thanks guys, I did that and here is the video:
It appear that the shutter curtain is in sync with the sound - so a 4 sec shutter speed the curtain did open well over 9 secs...

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yep expensive, but worth every penny.

Phil.
I send the video to Eric and he said two problems. Sticky mirror problem and electronic shutter needs re-calibration. Quote "less than $300".
Now I am not sure if the seller wants to pay this much for the repair, as I got the camera for $300..