Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
07-31-2016, 03:30 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am consistently torn between my ME and my MX. The ME`s electronics will (allegedly) meter a scene down to an exposure of 8 seconds (but will the film even take such reciprocity?), and the full-time Av has its attractions (I seldom do EV compensation beyond two stops anyway), but the day they die I am left with a fixed 1/100 shutter speed (say hello to Sunny Sixteen forever). And it's absurdly small and portable, especially with the SMC-M40/2.8 on it.

Conversely the MX will take a licking and go on kicking with full functionality (except for the meter) after the batteries fail. [And one can still buy new-build Sekonic meters which are battery-free, if you are worried about the state of the selenium cells of older meters.] But the on board metering range is not as broad, and to take anything longer than a second, one needs either a cable release or one of those funny screw-in self timey things. The LEDs are not always visible in bright light (in my experience). OTOH it's only fractionally bigger than the ME and it does have DOF preview (which the ME doesn't).

The features of both cameras are so evenly balanced for my uses, when both are working properly, that I find it very difficult to choose between them. Failure mode (no batteries and/or meter dead) favours the MX every time.

08-04-2016, 12:52 AM - 1 Like   #47

I'm torn. My heart says ME-F with smc-A 50 1.7, because I just love that body and lens.

My head says my lucky charm rig, K1000 with the same lens, because that shutter will still be firing long after I am dust and damn the batteries.

The part of me that likes conversation says auto-110 with smc 24mm f2.4
08-04-2016, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #48
Forum Member

I would say with both my screw mount and K Mount cameras, I would say the KX.
08-07-2016, 08:05 PM   #49
Veteran Member

MZ-S and FA31 or the FA77....hard choice between the two because they are very good a different things.

08-08-2016, 03:47 AM   #50
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
PZ-1p and 77
08-08-2016, 05:39 AM   #51

That would be the LX with K30/2.8.

I like aperture priority for fast shooting and compared to the ME (super) it does have a DOF control and aperture reading in the viewfinder, which I would both appreciate if I had to use only one body for 6 months. Plus most shutter speeds are mechanical. Do like to use the K55/1.8 but I think I would start to miss a wide angle after a while.

The other option, K-mount but not Pentax;

Revue Solar 100 with Revuenon 55mm f1.2 (a lens that is at least as good as the K50/1.2). No need for batteries at all, it has a solar panel for metering

Last edited by Barabas; 08-08-2016 at 05:53 AM.
08-08-2016, 08:30 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Barabas Quote
Revue Solar 100 with Revuenon 55mm f1.2 (a lens that is at least as good as the K50/1.2). No need for batteries at all, it has a solar panel for metering
Solar only with no batteries means no use in dark settings?

08-08-2016, 10:53 AM   #53

The shutter is mechanical but for the meter to work in darkness now I think of it, you would need a torch! LOL

Ok the Revue would stay at home, was not very serious, still it might be fun using it one (sunny) day.

Last edited by Barabas; 08-08-2016 at 11:11 AM.
08-08-2016, 12:12 PM   #54
Pentaxian

I was wondering because the Ricoh XRS had a solar panel and used a rechargeable battery for when sunlight was not available.
08-08-2016, 03:05 PM   #55
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Solar only with no batteries means no use in dark settings?
By that stage you are using flash, a hand-held light-meter, your finely honed experience (derived from Sunny 16 or similar rules), or a combination of the three. With those, so long as you have your shutter still firing and a tripod, cable release and stopwatch, you can do anything. How do you think people coped in the pre-Spotmatic era?
08-08-2016, 05:08 PM   #56

It seems the Revue Solar 100 has a battery built in which can be charged for using it in the dark... it can be bypassed by a switch so in case of emergency the solar panel is directly connected to the meter. I bought it just for its kit lens.
08-31-2016, 10:12 AM   #57
Veteran Member

I've seen Leica, I've seen medium format, obviously the LX has come up, but how about a word for the venerable Nikon F3?
Although the MX has a comparably bright VF, It's a little small for my hands, it doesn't do aperture-priority, and the film advance, though very smooth, has always been a touch too long for me.

So, in lieu of the LX, which would likely be an excellent choice, for me the camera would have to be an F3, non-HP, with the grid focusing screen. Motor drive optional.
The lens is a more difficult choice, but would be the AI-s 50mm 1.2 that's just come to me.
The films would be mainly Delta 400, plus the odd role of Superia 1600 and occasional Delta 3200. I like low-light.

A comparable kit to the LX + 50mm 1.2 that a few have already suggested, really.
08-31-2016, 09:00 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It would not be my LX or any camera battery dependent for full function. It has to be fully manual (meter excepted as it is not essential to operation). That leaves me with a choice of the most rugged of my manual cameras. The Nikon F2 and Nikkormat FT2 fit that bill perfectly, but I am married to Pentax, so SPF, KX, MX are in finals with 50/1.4 lens. My attachment to my MX goes back to 1977, so that emotional factor sets the result, but all are worthy contenders. (ME Super not as solid as these, prone to winder weakness)
08-31-2016, 09:10 PM   #59
Pentaxian

Wow!

Only one?

Can I slit my wrists first?

The most reliable camera I own is my K1000 SE so I would go with that one. Probably pick the Voigtlander Ultron 40/2 as my lens though I think I would try hard to sneak my Viv Series One 70-210 into the bag as well.

But I would really rather slit my wrists...seriously...I really mean it this time...and I may hunt down any person who ever asks a question this silly ever again and make them write 1,000 times on the blackboard..."I will never, never, never, ever, ever, ever ask this question ever again, not even in my sleep."
11-29-2016, 06:31 PM   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've thought about this question before, but in the context of, "If there's an impending disaster (a hurricane, flood, etc.) what's the one camera I'm going to grab before I run out the door?" It would probably be my trusty MX with the 50/1.4 SMC-M; it has a meter until the battery runs out, then it stills goes on and on and on...

But then in this scenario, where am I going to process all this film?