Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-21-2016, 11:09 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Champions of a Monster Polaroid Yield to the Digital World (NYTimes)

Great article. I'd never heard of these cameras but still, sad to hear about the likely passing of this monster film format.

QuoteQuote:
Over the last eight years, as cameras have become smaller and smaller — tiny enough to fit on a pair of glasses or inside a swallowable pill — John Reuter has been working to stave off extinction of one of the largest cameras ever made, so big and irredeemably analog that it feels, he says, “as if we’re pulling oil paintings out of the back of it.”

The camera, the 20-inch-by-24-inch Polaroid, was born as a kind of industrial stunt. Five of the wooden behemoths, weighing more than 200 pounds each and sitting atop a quartet of gurney wheels, were made in the late 1970s at the request of Edwin H. Land, the company’s founder, to demonstrate the quality of his large-format film. But the cameras found their true home in the art world, taken up by painters like Chuck Close and Robert Rauschenberg and photographers like William Wegman, David Levinthal and Mary Ellen Mark to make instant images that had the size and presence of sculpture...
http://nyti.ms/28Jy8s9

06-21-2016, 11:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very interesting.
06-21-2016, 12:22 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Now that's "full" frame. Or fullest frame.
06-21-2016, 12:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter

I'm sad to hear this. I've taken some portraiture courses with Neal Slavin, who did some great work (group portraits) with 20x24 Polaroid. And I was lucky enough to get to use one in one of Neal's classes.

Britons by Neal Slavin » 20×24 Studio

06-21-2016, 01:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Thanks for the article. Very interesting, though not surprising that such a rare, specialized film is due for retirement.

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
Now that's "full" frame. Or fullest frame.
I think there's at least one fuller frame than the linked Polaroid. Someone converted a delivery truck into a giant wet plate pinhole camera. Search "Ian Ruhter" for more info (not posting links to avoid hijacking this thread).
06-21-2016, 01:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Biggest Camera?

There was one mammoth camera built by George Lawrence that took photographs on a plate 8ft x 4-1/2ft. The Mammoth Camera of George R. Lawrence
06-21-2016, 05:56 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by frogoutofwater Quote
I'm sad to hear this. I've taken some portraiture courses with Neal Slavin, who did some great work (group portraits) with 20x24 Polaroid. And I was lucky enough to get to use one in one of Neal's classes.

Britons by Neal Slavin » 20×24 Studio
There is some gems in that collection, thanks for the link.
06-22-2016, 09:06 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sometimes these things are novelty that can be done with smaller formats (OK, 8x10 or 4x5??). I think sorta like having a Daguerreotype done by Louis (Daguerre). The WOW factor is there for sure!

Regards,