Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2016, 08:40 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Light Meter Resurrection - Quality Light Metric

I am not sure if I've mentioned this here before but wanted to pass on the information/glowing recommendation...

I've a Minolta Flash Meter VI which I consider pretty much unbeatable, but the spot meter functionality had died (would not meter or even light up the internal viewfinder display) effectively turning it into a larger-than-necessary incident meter only. A local camera tech pointed me to George, proprietor for many many year of Quality Light Metric in Hollywood.

I called and spoke to George (awesome, friendly guy) and he gave me best-guess causes and a ballpark repair-and-calibration figure - extremely reasonable. Meter was sent off to him and returned within a week - aka really fast turnaround - good as new. He is evidently the go-to for the area locally - quite a number of meters in that neck of the woods as you can imagine.

Just wanted to pass on the information for folks here that may be interested. Stellar guy and service.

fyi - he has no website, or anything like that and but can be reached by phone quite easily. and here is the Yelp page with address and contact info.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/quality-light-metric-hollywood

06-23-2016, 09:21 AM   #2
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
I am not sure if I've mentioned this here before but wanted to pass on the information/glowing recommendation...

I've a Minolta Flash Meter VI which I consider pretty much unbeatable, but the spot meter functionality had died (would not meter or even light up the internal viewfinder display) effectively turning it into a larger-than-necessary incident meter only. A local camera tech pointed me to George, proprietor for many many year of Quality Light Metric in Hollywood.

I called and spoke to George (awesome, friendly guy) and he gave me best-guess causes and a ballpark repair-and-calibration figure - extremely reasonable. Meter was sent off to him and returned within a week - aka really fast turnaround - good as new. He is evidently the go-to for the area locally - quite a number of meters in that neck of the woods as you can imagine.

Just wanted to pass on the information for folks here that may be interested. Stellar guy and service.

fyi - he has no website, or anything like that and but can be reached by phone quite easily. and here is the Yelp page with address and contact info.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/quality-light-metric-hollywood
Good news and thanks for posting!

Phil.
06-23-2016, 12:02 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Thanks. I'd like to get my one-degree spot meters checked. But in the spot-meter category, I'd say my Pentax "Digital" one-degree spot meter beats that Minolta hands-down for fast, convenient zone system metering. I have a Minolta one-degree spot meter and it has a liquid crystal display and it is hard to use to count stops (ND filters) and see all your shutter/aperture exposure combinations at once. I never use it given my other options.
06-23-2016, 12:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Thanks. I'd like to get my one-degree spot meters checked. But in the spot-meter category, I'd say my Pentax "Digital" one-degree spot meter beats that Minolta hands-down for fast, convenient zone system metering. I have a Minolta one-degree spot meter and it has a liquid crystal display and it is hard to use to count stops (ND filters) and see all your shutter/aperture exposure combinations at once. I never use it given my other options.
Agreed, the Pentax is faster for zone or just spot-metering, but not by much for me personally... Mostly I like both incident and spot at the touch of button on the same meter.. which is why I don't take out my Pentax anymore (older analog). Never found the LCD an issue... quick to figure out just with a couple scroll-wheel ticks. Plus it'll hold a latitude range (that you can specify) which moves up and down with your shutter choice, showing all (in full stops) combinations up and down within the range. I love it. YMMV.

---------- Post added 06-23-16 at 12:16 PM ----------

It does a lot - far more than I use for normally. Its the latitude graphic and comparative readings (spot to incident) that I love.
Download MINOLTA FLASH METER VI Instruction Manual

Last edited by chickentender; 06-23-2016 at 12:18 PM.
06-23-2016, 12:21 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
... Mostly I like both incident and spot at the touch of button on the same meter..
Incident meters you can't meter from a distance easily. I can aim my one-degree at a person's face or object from a distance, place it and snap away in no time flat.

With experience, you don't have to look at the lowest value, find the highest value and average sort of thing. Most the time I pick out the one object in the scene that will set my middle gray exposure before I even pull out the meter. Done in seconds and all from a distance. YMMV. And if it is outdoors, I don't even use a meter at all most of the time.
06-23-2016, 12:37 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Quality Light Metric is a local legend in the LA area. All the pros and film studios send their meters to him for servicing. He fixed my Gossen Luna Pro-F some years back.
06-23-2016, 01:13 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Incident meters you can't meter from a distance easily. I can aim my one-degree at a person's face or object from a distance, place it and snap away in no time flat.
Yes, I know. It has both is my whole point - an incident and 1-deg spot. I've found if I'm in roughly the same basic light as my subject, near or far the incident is far faster ... and if I'm worried I can do a quick comparative spot reading against the incident reading.

And like you... I'm often not bothering to get out the meter at all... which sometimes effs me.

---------- Post added 06-23-16 at 01:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Quality Light Metric is a local legend in the LA area. All the pros and film studios send their meters to him for servicing. He fixed my Gossen Luna Pro-F some years back.
That's just what the tech I know here mentioned - and not surprising... I could tell George knew damn near everything about meters within 2 minutes or less on the phone.