Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-24-2016, 11:00 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
How do you feel about the lack of a second dial? On paper at least the Z1-P seems much better which is what I bought for my autofocus film camera. When researching I was really disappointed with the lack of hyper-program mode and aperture-less lens support. Using a second dial to control during aperture priority is my preferred method of shooting. Especially with A-lenses, I'm concerned with the aperture ring breaking as seems to be a common thing with A-lenses, so I like to keep them on A mode. Does it have an aperture window so you can change without taking your eye from the camera? Design wise, the MZ-S looks like it has fantastic ergonomics as opposed to the bulky Z1-P with its overly-beefy grip and stiff dials.
I only recently became aware of the potential shortcoming of only one dial, when I realized that the PZ-1 had a second dial. I have no problem using the aperture ring (and have only had one aperture ring issue, on a 30-year-old 50mm A1.7), but in the case of using a DA lens without an aperture ring, you can't set the aperture explicitly on a MZ-S. I figured that none of the film Pentaxes could do that, until I got this PZ-1. It struck me as a bit odd that they removed that capability, though I guess at the time the aperture ring was available on all lenses.

Lee

06-24-2016, 11:19 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are you sure about these points? The MZ-S supports HSS with the AF540FGZ and AF360FGZ, both of which were available at launch for the camera. The MZ-S also provides full body control for automated exposure with A-contact lenses (including those without aperture rings) as well as Av mode with K, M, and adapted M42. Lens and flash compatibility is actually a bit better than our dSLRs.

Steve
My point on the flash was, barring the HSS modes, (which I know it has) the sync speed is slower than other flagship cameras, So without Pentax flashes, it's a little more limited than other cameras, IMO. And it was my understanding that you can't shoot M or Av(?) without the aperture ring?
06-24-2016, 11:36 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SpartanD63 Quote
And it was my understanding that you can't shoot M or Av(?) without the aperture ring?
You are correct. After I made the comment, I downloaded the user manual to look up the specifics and found that aperture selection requires the aperture ring (no e-dials...duh...) and fairly clumsy with D FA lenses lacking an aperture ring.

Steve
06-25-2016, 12:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yeah, whereas the PZ-1 mentioned by others in this thread has only one AF point, it's got faster flash sync with standard flashes, a faster max shutter speed, a slightly faster winder, and dual dials for proper manual control without aperture rings. (And is less than $100, whereas a MZ-S seems to hover around $250 and with a winder, $400) The MZ-S isn't bad, but is a weird bundle of design decisions.

06-25-2016, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Is pricing always tied to performance? A Leica M-A with a max shutter speed of 1/1000, sync speed of 1/50 with no meter or any other automation as it is completely manual - but comes with the brand name, is listed for over $4K . . .
06-25-2016, 01:46 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
Is pricing always tied to performance? A Leica M-A with a max shutter speed of 1/1000, sync speed of 1/50 with no meter or any other automation as it is completely manual - but comes with the brand name, is listed for over $4K . . .
Oh of course not. I just don't quite get why the MZ-S is valued so high. Or why it chucked features, that came on Pentax cameras released years before, out the window.
06-25-2016, 09:32 PM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Wrong again Steve Pentax regressed a bit on the MZ-S and returned to the aperture ring to support both Av and M modes.

Steve
Yup. That. I personally don't find it regressive.

QuoteOriginally posted by Dipsoid Quote
How do you feel about the lack of a second dial? On paper at least the Z1-P seems much better which is what I bought for my autofocus film camera. When researching I was really disappointed with the lack of hyper-program mode and aperture-less lens support. Using a second dial to control during aperture priority is my preferred method of shooting. Especially with A-lenses, I'm concerned with the aperture ring breaking as seems to be a common thing with A-lenses, so I like to keep them on A mode. Does it have an aperture window so you can change without taking your eye from the camera? Design wise, the MZ-S looks like it has fantastic ergonomics as opposed to the bulky Z1-P with its overly-beefy grip and stiff dials.
I assume by aperture-less you mean lacking a ring for control. To answer your question, "how do I feel" - don't bother me a hoot and in fact I prefer it. I don't need/want a second dial personally. I find the way the MZ-S moves between modes very intuitive. It's just dead simple. If you touch the ring, you're in Av. If you touch the dial, you're in Tv. Both, it switches to manual. None (if the ring is in "A" mode) it is in program mode. Main dial on one side, exposure comp on the other and the aperture ring where it's been for decades - I need nothing else. I have only one lens without a ring (this is intentional) because I want full support for all my glass between all my bodies to extent that they can (I have the DA 50-135 which lives only on - obviously perhaps - on my K-3 and other dSLRs before it)... I prefer the ring.
But to answer your other question - yes, if you're using an "A" lens or newer, the F setting is displayed in the control dial display, whether you're controlling it or the camera.
As far as the rings breaking... I've never had one break. Or known anyone personally who has. I'm sure it may happen, but in my years here I've never noted anyone going on about it which leads me to believe (what I'd suspect) it isn't common.

Last edited by Eyewanders; 06-25-2016 at 09:55 PM.
06-25-2016, 09:42 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by chickentender Quote
Yup. That. I personally don't find it regressive.
To be honest, I don't either. I like aperture rings.

Steve
06-25-2016, 10:51 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree on the aperture rings part. I'll use lenses without them, but I like them. Maybe that's just because most of the lenses I have with them are gorgeous Takumars and K lenses....
06-28-2016, 06:19 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Pentaxian

I agree with the last couple of posters. I prefer an actual aperture ring on the lens. That's why I enjoy shooting with the new Fuji X cameras too. Pentax pioneered the "dual control" wheel on the PZ1p, which became the defacto standard. But I prefer an aperture ring design, like the MZ-S, or the Nikon F4 or the Fuji's. Clearly Pentax did too, at least for a few years until they released the FA-J series to save money.

The MZ-S is a jewel, and one of my favourite cameras to shoot. But it is not a direct response to the best of other marques (Nikon F5, EOS 1, etc.) It is best seen as the ultimate way to shoot the FA Limited lenses -- they were all made for each other.

Pentax 35mm cameras were more like Contax. Brilliant lenses, nicely built bodies, sometimes quirky, sometimes "quaint" compared to the trends. Pentax 35mm seemed focused on the student (K1000) and the connoisseur or true believer. After all, Pentax already had serious professional cameras and a dominant place in the market -- with the Pentax 67 and the Pentax 645.