Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-01-2016, 09:42 PM   #1

Pentax LX metallic ringing noise

I went off and shot with Leica's for a while and came back to my LX. I now am VERY aware of how loud the shutter is but the volume doesn't bother me, what bothers me is the metallic ringing noise I hear when I release the shutter. Here is a video attempting to showcase the noise:

It is NOT mirror slap. The camera makes this sound even if the mirror is locked up or held in place with a soft pad.

It seems like its some internal mechanism or maybe even the shutter itself. The only way I have found the dampen the noise is to pull the film advance lever. the metallic ring stops immediately when the lever is turned.

I am going to be judged for this next part but so be it. If you physically stop the shutter from closing (put it in B, open shutter, insert block of foam, release shutter, remove block of foam) the shutter will go down to about 60% closed. You can then gently tug the shutter shut. Once you reach about 80% of the way closed, there is a "PANG" that causes the ringing. Before this pang, you cannot crank the film advance lever so whatever mechanism is making this noise also locks out the film advance lever. OR the action this mechanism takes causes the metal shutter of the LX to ring.

Here is an example video of me stopping the shutter and then pushing it back into place:

Aside from a little oil from my finger that I already cleaned off, the shutter seems undamaged by doing this. It cranks just fine after I return it and the speeds are fine.

I have looked all around for videos involving the LX shutter sound. Some videos I can notice the same ringing, other videos I can't hear it at all and the sound seems much more solid.

I am wondering if anyones LX makes a similar noise or knows a solution/cause of this sound.

The camera is 100% functional and doesn't seem to have any faults or issues, just a slightly annoying sound. I have put tons of film through it with no issue.

07-01-2016, 10:26 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry, no LX, but I will comment anyway.

I would not have stuffed foam or anything else into the shutter path, but your shutter ping is not unknown for horizontal-run Pentax shutters. My KX sounds the same, even after a full CLA. Mirror up with shutter on B, there is a definite ping when both the first and the second curtain reach end of travel. I did a short survey of my other cloth-shuttered SLRs for "ping":
  • Pentax SV, both leading and following curtain
  • Pentax Spotmatic/Spotmatic II, leading curtain only
  • Mamiya/Sekor 1000 DTL, both leading and following
  • Minolta SRT101/SRT102, both leading and following
...and for completeness, the cloth-curtain rangefinders:
  • FED-2, clunk for both leading and following
  • Zorki-4K, clunk for both leading and following
  • Canon-P (my smoothest/quietest shutter), both leading and following
I am not sure, but I suspect that the contacts for the flash sync may be at fault or the shutter advance interlock. There is a brake mechanism that might also be playing a part.

Conclusion: Leica deserves credit for quenching a common shutter sound.

Edit: The ping does not particularly bug me, but the wikiwiki sound in the slow speeds of my SP/SPII/KX makes me wonder what is going on in there...

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-02-2016 at 10:20 AM.
07-01-2016, 10:39 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
That is an odd pinging sound and neither of my two LX's exhibit this trait. Below is one of them without a lens on so that it maximizes the sound.

BTW, welcome aboard!
07-02-2016, 12:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Wow. That just drove me crazy for a little bit as I tried to figure out which of my cameras sounds very similar. My LX is with Eric currently but I don't recall it sounding this way. The camera that DOES however is my older black MX - exact same pinging noise, but a noticeably higher pitch. It was CLA'd by Eric about 1 1/2 - 2 years ago. My newer silver MX does NOT make this noise. It has not been CLA'd, at least since I've owned it.

---------- Post added 07-02-16 at 01:01 AM ----------

Not sure I'd worry much about it - though now I'd like to know what it is, and why some exhibit it and not others.

07-02-2016, 02:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi

In a big company fixing something that was not broke would get you fired?

If you break your camera Eric will fix it.

Some Leicas are a lot quieter than others even M2 to M2.

Noel
07-02-2016, 02:32 AM   #6

Original Poster
could someone point me to eric?

Just gonna shoot him an email asking about that sound.

Last edited by Float; 07-02-2016 at 03:37 AM.
07-02-2016, 02:44 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Float Quote
could someone point me to eric?
Eric's site with contact info is here: Home
Though, if ain't broke...

07-02-2016, 03:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

My MX (silver) makes this noise and so do the manual K-mount Cosina SLRs with the 1/2000s vertical run metal shutters, interestingly - my CT1 Super and Vivitar V2000 (same chassis) both do it. It can be a bit weird but I don't believe it's the symptom of a problem.
07-02-2016, 03:18 AM   #9
Veteran Member

The Leica and Leica clone shutters have brakes to stop rebound.

The Pentax and most Ja SLRs with horizontal shutters are near copies but still have brakes. The Ja copies normally have more parts and better build standard!

The brakes can be noisy.

But the rule is under no circumstances touch the shutter when it is static or running.

Eric will fix it afterwards but the time may make a replacement cheaper!
07-02-2016, 03:31 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I tested both of my LX cameras and the early version does sound like the OP camera. The later model does not have that distinct metallic sound.

Maybe Asahi opt.Co changed the design at some stage?
07-02-2016, 03:42 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Baard-Einar Quote
I tested both of my LX cameras and the early version does sound like the OP camera. The later model does not have that distinct metallic sound.

Maybe Asahi opt.Co changed the design at some stage?
A change in build seems likely, as I have listened to probably 20 LXs so far. About half sound like mine and half are much more "normal" sounding like some posted in this thread. The camera had a 21 year run. Pentax cameras and production were so vastly different in 2001 than 1980, there has to be some different parts in there.

also, I know not to touch shutters in general but I have experimented on plenty of cheap SLRs and I knew this wouldn't cause permanent damage. In all, the time I showed in the video is the 2nd and final time doing it.
07-02-2016, 05:06 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Sorry, no LX, but I will comment anyway.

I would not have stuffed foam or anything else into the shutter path, but your shutter ping is not unknown for horizontal-run Pentax shutters. My KX sounds the same, even after a full CLA. Mirror up with shutter on B, there is a definite ping when both the first and the second curtain reach end of travel. I did a short survey of my other cloth-shuttered SLRs for "ping":

Edit: The ping does not particularly bug me, but the wikiwiki sound in the slow speeds of my SP/SPII/KX makes me wonder what is going on in there...

Steve
One of my KX'es makes that sound. Eric had CLA'ed it. When I asked about it he told me that's the mechanical clockwork completing its circuit.
07-02-2016, 09:29 AM   #13
Pentaxian

The only one in my collection that exhibits the pinging sound . . .

07-03-2016, 02:30 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Back in 1967 I switched from a Pentax H1a to the new Canon FT, with an FP as a second body. Good results with those cameras, but the shutter ping on both irritated me. Adding a Leica M4 with its silent shutter made the ping seem worse, and I then traded all my Canon gear for a Leicaflex SL, which was louder than the M4 of course, but very solid and muted.
Later years I added ME, MX, and LX, and now have a bunch of classic SLRs in my collection. Most of my Pentax have been through Eric for CLA, and the MXs and LX ping various amounts. It doesn't mean anything is wrong; it's just a common (if irritating) characteristic.
It is one reason why I prefer shooting my Liecas, whether rangefinder or SLR. They made sure their cameras didn't sound tinny.
Many photographers say the resulting pictures are all that matters, but others find pleasure in using the gear as well as getting results.
When such details bother you it is hard to ignore them ans say they don't matter
07-03-2016, 11:52 AM   #15
Pentaxian

No doubt we probably all have our resonant frequency. And once we become aware of it, it likely becomes harder to ignore.