Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2016, 06:57 PM   #1

PZ-70 Autofocus not working.

After 20 years, I started using my PZ-70 again, and now I remember why I shelved it in the first place. The AF won't lock on anything. It goes all the way out, then all the way in, but never locks on anything in between. It doesn't matter which lens I use, it's definitely a body problem, but nothing looks out of place.

Has anyone run into this on a SAFOX II body? Sure, I can just use manual focus, but my Spotmatic II is a much nicer camera for manual, and AF and K-mount is all the PZ-70 brings to the table.

Because the body can't be worth more than $15, just checking if anyone has any ideas for an easy fix before I get rid of it. The lens and mirror are clean, contacts are all clean, and the body is set to "AF."

07-15-2016, 08:19 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't think of anything simple other than cleaning the mirror box.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-15-2016, 09:55 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Open the back and put the shutter in bulb. Blow into the open rectangle in the bottom of the mirror box. Check to see if the secondary mirror (the small mirror that hangs under the regular mirror) is moving properly.
07-16-2016, 04:46 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxus Quote
Open the back and put the shutter in bulb. Blow into the open rectangle in the bottom of the mirror box. Check to see if the secondary mirror (the small mirror that hangs under the regular mirror) is moving properly.
It won't let me open the shutter when the back is open (even when I tried to open the back while the shutter was open, it forced it shut). I went in through the front, though. The secondary mirror looked OK as far as I could tell from that vantage point, though the action of the big mirror is lazy. The first time I opened the shutter, the mirror only went up about 1/4 of the way. A few more times loosened it up, but I'm still having the issue.