Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2016, 05:47 PM   #1

ZX-M Camera and 360FGZ Flash

The manual for my ZX-M say's you can use any of the FGZ series Flash guns with this camera.

Does anyone know why? I know the camera can't support all the functions of the flash but I though it could use put iy in manual mode for use with the ZX-M.

Thanks.

07-20-2016, 06:46 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by carmencip Quote
Does anyone know why? I know the camera can't support all the functions of the flash but I though it could use put iy in manual mode for use with the ZX-M.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

The manual was printed before the AF 360FGZ flash was made. That is why it and many other Pentax-brand flashes are not listed. As you know, the camera cannot use the full range of features because it does not support either off-the-film TTL or P-TTL flash metering. On the other hand, your flash still provides very nice dedication features and more than just manual. These are in the 360FGZ and ZX-M manuals, but I will summarize them here:
  • Auto ("A") mode using the flash on-board sensor. No, this is not TTL, but works very well for flash automation for most situations.
  • Flash-driven aperture setting in "P" and "Shutter-priority" modes (this is very cool)
  • Shutter speed automatically set to x-sync speed
  • Flash ready should be visible on viewfinder
I am not sure, but I believe the viewfinder flash-confirm feature for "Auto" mode should also work.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-20-2016 at 06:55 PM.
07-21-2016, 06:09 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you Steve!
Appreciate the explanation.