Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2016, 09:50 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Pentax ME light meter acting up

So. My Pentax ME, which I dearly love is failing me. The light meter's previous problem was that in low light, the light meter always read underexposed. I was told by Eric that it could be the Asa resistor. I cleaned that out. My technician said he cleaned out the circuit in the prism. Yet, he handed me a working camera, and the day after, it stopped metering right, mainly in low light. A lightbulb, turned on, in the middle of the frame would meter 1/1000th and the same lightbulb towards the edge would meter underexposed, all at f1.7 and 200iso. Since "repairs", the light meter, when turned on, would read 1/30th, and quickly drop to underexposed, under low light situations. I don't understand what's happening to the light meter, and if anyone could help me out, I would really appreciate it. Thank you.

07-21-2016, 12:32 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd say the prognosis for that one is very, very poor. I suspect the only hope is a trip to Eric, but be prepared for bad news. It does sound bizarre that it would fold up so quickly after being (from your account) returned to full function.

The 1/500 LED on mine is dead, but otherwise thus far it appears (after one CLA and adjustment locally) still to function well. It will be a sad day when it turns up toes. At least when my MX's meter dies I will still have a functioning (albeit meterless) camera, assuming the shutter curtains or the mirror don't fail.
07-22-2016, 03:22 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I'd say the prognosis for that one is very, very poor. I suspect the only hope is a trip to Eric, but be prepared for bad news. It does sound bizarre that it would fold up so quickly after being (from your account) returned to full function.

The 1/500 LED on mine is dead, but otherwise thus far it appears (after one CLA and adjustment locally) still to function well. It will be a sad day when it turns up toes. At least when my MX's meter dies I will still have a functioning (albeit meterless) camera, assuming the shutter curtains or the mirror don't fail.
I just noticed that the light meter would meter 1/60th once and if I keep turning it off and on, the exposure slowly drops to underexposed, stop by stop. What kind of circuit problem could that be?
07-22-2016, 05:13 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentytaxy Quote
I just noticed that the light meter would meter 1/60th once and if I keep turning it off and on, the exposure slowly drops to underexposed, stop by stop. What kind of circuit problem could that be?
I am not a camera repairman nor particularly knowledgeable in electronics, but from first principles (and assuming fresh batteries), that sort of gradual bleed-off suggests a capacitor dying somewhere.

07-22-2016, 06:23 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I am not a camera repairman nor particularly knowledgeable in electronics, but from first principles (and assuming fresh batteries), that sort of gradual bleed-off suggests a capacitor dying somewhere.
Thank you for the input! I'll ask my tech to take a good look at the circuit board.