Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2008, 01:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Not sure why people feel digital cameras become paper weights after a new model comes out.
If it produced acceptable images when it was introduced, it should do so even with a new model out.
I use my paper weights more than the newer models. They produce sharper images and my prints still look fine.

Dave

07-22-2008, 05:39 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
Sell a medium format rig?...in favor of digital?...

Medium format exceeds the quality of 35mm. If I did not mind the bulk, and if I had the cash for all of the necessary items, I would be shooting MF. The 35mm format is so easy to get into, but I cannot imagine favoring digital over MF (and I also could not imagine favoring digital over 35mm film).
If I want/need really good quality, I have a 4x5.
For the most part, I'm not one of the pixel peeping brigade. I make prints, and if the look is good enough, the print is good enough.
My major complaint with 35mm film is grain, and elimination of same was my main reason for getting the medium format.
I don't have a "grain" problem with my DSLR.

For the majority of what I do, the K20 is definitely in the good enough category, and if it isn't, the Tachihara most definitely is.
07-22-2008, 05:54 PM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote

The environmental issue is quite deep.

If you are shooting B&W film, the environmental issues are nearly non existent. The developers are not overly environmentally harmful, and many of the old school ones such as D-76 and Dektol are little more than a few fairly common salt compounds dissolved in water.
Stop bath is white vinegar, diluted 1:1 or more.

Used fixers contain dissolved silver, which is an environmental pariah, but really, with the very small amount of chemistry being used, and small amount of silver in solution, even used fixer is diluted so much by any urban sewage system that there just isn't much to be concerned about.
Most households sump far worse down the drain with the many cleaning products that get poured down the drain.

Colour photochemistry can be dealt with in a closed loop system, where used chemistry is held in storage tanks and taken offsite for disposal. Again though, if you check, you might be surprised by how little harm photochemistry really does in the grand scheme of things. Desilvering the blix is a good thing to do, and is a money making activity for labs, so there is no excuse to not practice silver recovery.
One of the things Kodak did with RA-4 chemistry was to make it as environmentally benign as possible.
07-22-2008, 06:36 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Wheatfield: with regard to grain, I have never found film grain to be bothersome.

With regard to your second posting: excellent comments. I have heard bits and pieces of what you have indicated above. I am glad you have mentioned these things, as you have refreshed my memory. You also mention household waste and cleaning products. In our house, we use natural, environmentally safe products, and we look forward to seeing more people doing likewise. The junk that is in popular brands of laundry detergent, all-purpose cleaners, etc. is not only bad for the environment, it is also bad for people. In shampoos and other personal care items, compounds like EDTA, SLS, parabens, etc. have been linked to skin cancer and other illnesses. The worst of all is perhaps bedding and furniture--these things are drenched in formaldehyde, a class one carcinogen. What an absurb world we live in: it was like pulling teeth to get a doctor to write a prescription for an organic mattress for our daughter, and, all the while, the vast majority of the world, by federal legislation, goes to bed at night breathing in a cancer-causing toxin--and they will spend 1/3 of their life in close proximity to this toxin.

Last edited by zx-m; 07-23-2008 at 07:17 AM. Reason: typo