Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-04-2016, 10:08 AM   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
Yeah we are lucky here in Vancouver, as well as Seattle & Portland across the border in the US.

All the Vancouver camera stores carry Pentax and some film, as well as a major drug store chain. You can play with a Pentax camera while you wait for your prescription to be filled and also get your C-41 film processed in their lab. (The camera store staff are good for answering questions as many are older and did shoot film, but the drug store staff are so so...)

The two major independent processing labs in Vancouver also have some film for sale and their staff are very good to chat with. I also have a photo supply store a block away that has a huge selection of film, with knowledgeable staff and a good selection of used Pentax gear!

It's Pentax & film Valhalla here.

Phil.
Oh, man, that's it. I'm coming to Canada!!

08-04-2016, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
I was there on holiday last year, and dropped into one of the Kerrisdale cameras outlets (the main one, I think). Had to cut things short because of fractious offspring, but they (Kerrisdale, not the kids, LOL) must have had just about every autofocus Pentax camera there ever made.
Yep that's where I bough my first Pentax back in 1975 and they have been around since the early 1960's! Great place and they have a good selection of used Pentax gear.

Well worth a trip if you are ever in town again. (Here is a picture of the main store on their website from back in the Asahi Pentax heydays!)

Leo's Camera downtown on Granville Street, is also good and have film & used gear.

Phil.l

---------- Post added 08-04-16 at 10:15 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Oh, man, that's it. I'm coming to Canada!!
Sure I can setup a Pentax shopping tour for you!

Phil.
Attached Images

Last edited by gofour3; 08-04-2016 at 10:33 AM. Reason: add picture
08-07-2016, 12:26 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I didn't realize Superia Xtra was discontinued....Fuji seems to be getting rid of most of their film business here lately. Was really sad to see the peel apart films go....but anyway.

If you want to shoot color on a budget, Fujicolor C200 is the cheapest around from what I've seen and isn't too bad for what it is. It all depends on what you want to shoot really. Different films do things differently.
08-07-2016, 03:22 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yep, that's the store I went to! $250 or whatever Pentax bodies cost new back then is still more in pure dollar terms than we mostly pay for them today, and much more in relative value, but if you could travel in time and find two hundred and fifty dollars' worth of 1960s coinage/notes that would not cause ruptures in spacetime or accusations of fraud when it was handed over, it would be worth it for a fully functioning camera and lens fresh out of the box and not long out of the factory either.

08-07-2016, 08:48 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
but if you could travel in time and find two hundred and fifty dollars' worth of 1960s coinage/notes that would not cause ruptures in spacetime or accusations of fraud when it was handed over
Yeah I keep having a similar dream that I go back to 1975 just after the "K" Series hit the stores, armed with my old Canadian bank notes collection!

I see the store accepts "Chargex", might be easier to stay awhile and apply for one. If I remember they were pretty easy to get with a limit of $500, which would be plenty.

But like you said it might mess up things time wise.

Phil.
08-08-2016, 11:51 AM - 1 Like   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I like Kodak film, in particular Portra.

But that may be prohibitive due to cost, or lack of availability in your area. In your area you might be able to get the Kodak films ColorPlus, ProFotoXL, or ProImage 100, all of which are good.