Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2008, 09:30 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. There have been a few items that I have purchased that were not exactly as described. And a few items that were not described very well that I knew I was taking a chance on. Sometimes you get lucky and sometimes you don't. But there are some good deals to be had. When I bought my Super Takumar 85mm f1.9, the sellers description was very vague, and obviously they didn't know much about photography equipment. But the price was decent if it was in good shape. When the lens arrived it looked brand spanking new! But when I went to turn the focus ring it was like someone had used tar to lubricate the thing with. I could barely move it. Then I looked through the glass and saw what I didn't want to see. Fungus! Just a few small spots starting out, but it was there. To make a long story short, after cleaning it good and lubricating the coil everything works perfectly. And it looks like new. My lesson, if it's not described well, assume the worst and bid accordingly. Or take a chance.....

07-22-2008, 09:48 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Good points, seamuis...I had figured it were a matter of timing.

I suppose our comments show that both the MX and ME Super have their respective virtues. I may pick up an MX sometime...just to get that pro feeling. Why not, as film cameras are so cheap.
07-22-2008, 10:04 AM   #18
Banned

yea and being fully mechanical its just that much more fun for me. one thing I always hear about is the ME super is it's 'huge' viewfinder but the MX's is larger. its such a wonderful camera. its so small on its own and with the winder it just feels 'right' in my hands. I love it, I love it more than all my other cameras including my superA. its just a brilliant piece of mechanical engineering.
07-22-2008, 12:23 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I gather the MX takes the MS76 battery? Is this interchangeable with the battery used in the ME Super, the LR44?

07-22-2008, 09:29 PM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Why not post up the name? People shouldn't be selling things in "any" condition if they can't turn the focus ring to see what its TRUE condition is.

I have a feeling I know where it came from...
07-22-2008, 10:02 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Honestly, when I read his feedback, it was good and he had many transactions...The reason I did not post up his name is because I did not want to bring harm to him, because I suspect, he got it from someone and sold it to me not knowing it was taped and glued together....I popped a 28-80 cheapo tamron lens on it and gave it to my son, so he should be set for a while...

Atleast the body seems to be good and I won't have to be wrestling with my kid over my ME SUPER..
I don't think that he should screw someone else over because he got screwed over. Or put another way, just because a person gets robbed doesn't license or justify them robbing someone else.

What this person did was un-ethical.

Regarding my previous post, Adorama sent me a UPS return label for the Series 1 Vivitar 105mm. They asked me if I want them to repair it, replace it, or refund it. I'm going to ask them to repair it if they can.

Edit: I try to treat people the way I want to be treated.
07-23-2008, 01:21 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agh! sorry about that, it happens from time to time
contact the guy and ask him for a refund if you feel like

meanwhile the good news... the MG is a great body, is like a souped-down ME with aperture priority but no M settings. GReat for semi P&S
Pentax MG - Camerapedia.org

Te one in there was mine, I gave it to my brother and i may have to snatch it back

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Hi folks...Well, I must say my luck has been good on eek bay up until now...I finally got burned..Not for allot, $25.00 + the shipping... I am not even upset...What I was after was this tokina ''a'' lens,28-80 zoom lens for my ME SUPER...Anyway, when I got it, it also came with this MG body what ever it is...Maybe it will work, but It looks like a downgrade to what I already have...Anyway, it looked great and was advertised as new...Well I went to check out the focus and the zoom and the thing fell apart in my hand...It was glued and scotch taped together...I had to laugh.....The irony, is that I had already left the guy perfect feed back...Oh well....Here are some pics of my brand new paper weight....
07-23-2008, 05:07 AM   #23
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by zx-m Quote
I gather the MX takes the MS76 battery? Is this interchangeable with the battery used in the ME Super, the LR44?
the MX uses two LR44's.

07-23-2008, 06:48 AM   #24
Ed in GA

I was only ever burned once on e-bay and it was mostly my own fault.

I've developed a regimen that I go through before I bid on any item with a value greater than $25.

I'll read through the sellers feedback to see what type of items he/she has been selling. If their sales history is full of do-dads and trinkets, but little or no photography equipment, I usually assume that the item being offered is a garage sale find that the buyer has picked up and knows little about it.

I will send the seller questions about the item. "Is this your own personal camera or a garage sale find?"

I get a lot of "It was my dads camera. He had it for years and I'm just selling it for him." I usually don't bid on those items.

If it's a camera body, I will ask about the condition of the seals. You can usually tell from the answer you get if the seller actually knows.

I will ask the seller if he has a return policy if I find the item to not be as advertised. I stay away from those whose answer is "No".

If it's a lens alone, I will ask if it's a manual or auto-exposure lens. If the seller doesn't know, I stay away.

As the OP mentioned, even pictures of the item won't always tell the story. I will ask some times if the item in the photo is the actual item.

Anyways, even with those precations, it's easy to get snookered on occassion.
But, by going through that ritual, I lessen the chances of it happening.

One thing for sure. You won't get much help from e-bay even if you file a dispute.
07-23-2008, 07:13 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I agree that the treatment Javier has received is unethical. Actually, considering the condition of the items, I would say it is highly unethical.
07-23-2008, 07:31 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I have sent the fellow who sold me the lens the pictures and he agreed to refund my money back...However, since I decided to keep the body, I told him the refund was necessary, but more than anything I wanted to bring him awareness of what happened.
he did say, that the lens he sold, he got on a trade as part of a larger deal with some old nikon stuff.

Last edited by jgredline; 07-23-2008 at 07:37 AM.
07-23-2008, 09:53 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Hi Folks...Well, My wife and son went out to Pasadena City hall today and Daniel took his new used Pentax MG with Tamron 28-80 zoom and he shot a roll of 24 cheap film to test...To my surprise the exposer was pretty close and the film grain is very smooth....Anyway, I don't feel so scammed now that this body works fine...The kid is doing pretty good...Not pictures I would have taken, but hey, to each his own...

07-24-2008, 06:49 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Javier: your son shows some definite ability. I like the second shot best. Balancing areas of light and dark in a photo is extremely difficult. Perhaps he can show me how to do it?

Regards,
Glen