Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2008, 04:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
eek-bay finally got me.

Hi folks...Well, I must say my luck has been good on eek bay up until now...I finally got burned..Not for allot, $25.00 + the shipping... I am not even upset...What I was after was this tokina ''a'' lens,28-80 zoom lens for my ME SUPER...Anyway, when I got it, it also came with this MG body what ever it is...Maybe it will work, but It looks like a downgrade to what I already have...Anyway, it looked great and was advertised as new...Well I went to check out the focus and the zoom and the thing fell apart in my hand...It was glued and scotch taped together...I had to laugh.....The irony, is that I had already left the guy perfect feed back...Oh well....Here are some pics of my brand new paper weight....

Have any of you been roasted on eek bay?

07-21-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Is this fate's justice for not playing HinMan's game?
07-21-2008, 05:04 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
oh yes, I've been roasted, but that for me is part of the bottom feeding ethos. Let's see: two brain dead Voigtlander Vitomatics before I gave up, one out of three Electro GSNs (though it's the best physically, so perhaps there's a trip to Mark Hama in it), and a Spottie, though I think that may have been from goodwill.

To make up for these there have been the absolute steals, of which there are several.

But that lens is wicked! Will the seller take it back?
07-21-2008, 05:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

That actually looks funny, sorry about that heh.

Little problems with ebay with almost every auction. Just today I received a Super Program body that was supposed to be in mint condition, but wasn't. Doesn't bug me at all though, it's in good enough condition. The seller also said that he had fitted new batteries, but the batteries were actually very old and even dirty.

Once someone was selling a A50/1.7 lens and told me it had some dust inside. However when I received the lens it looked like it had been opened for whatever reason and had loads of dust and other stuff inside. Checking back to the auction page I noticed that the seller was using a picture of some other A50/1.7 lens in the auction. He refused to take the lens back and return my money in full, so I kept it and recently sold it for a lot less. The same seller still sells somewhat interesting stuff on ebay but I don't think I'm going to buy anything from him/her anymore.

One time I was happily suprised though. I bought my ME Super from ebay and upon receiving it I was amazed. It looked like it hadn't been used at all and it still has the protective plastic glued on to it's bottom. Seller said the body had only been used to shoot one roll of film and it just might be true. Even the ever ready case I got with it was in perfect condition.

The MG body is much cheaper and worse than the ME Super, here's some info of the M-series (and a lot more) http://kmp.bdimitrov.de/bodies/M/index.html

I would keep it though if it works and maybe use it where you don't want to take your other bodies :P

07-21-2008, 07:22 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sadly, I've had more refusals to accept returns of merchandise not as described HERE than on ebay.

Since 2000 I have a total of over 700 transactions on ebay and I've had TWO disappointments - both sellers took the item back without question, and one even refunded the shipping.

I have 13 buyer transactions here and 11 buyer feedbacks. The two others were for items that were so clearly not as described that I still can't believe the sellers had the gall to deny me a return.

One told me he didn't think a separating lens element was a hidden defect and he wouldn't take the lens back. The other said - "If you think it is an issue, tough. Buyer beware."

Makes me VERY cautious about the selling I am doing.
07-21-2008, 07:31 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Well, I got a used lens from Adorama last week that had a EX rating. I discovered this weekend that it is apparently missing the aperture blades or they are folded up and stuck to where I can't see them. Also it will not focus as a telephoto. It does o.k. in the Macro range, but of course it is wide open. It is a Vivitar Series 1 105mm macro. The glass looks great, the lens looks great. I emailed them yesterday but have got no reply so I will call them tomorrow.

Edit: My point is that when buying used photo equipment can be a risk regardless if it is ebay, a mail order store, or individual. Plus, I have had FedEx and UPS loose things.
07-21-2008, 07:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Honestly, when I read his feedback, it was good and he had many transactions...The reason I did not post up his name is because I did not want to bring harm to him, because I suspect, he got it from someone and sold it to me not knowing it was taped and glued together....I popped a 28-80 cheapo tamron lens on it and gave it to my son, so he should be set for a while...

Atleast the body seems to be good and I won't have to be wrestling with my kid over my ME SUPER..

07-22-2008, 03:23 AM   #8
Veteran Member

OK, I'm vulnerable owing to the daughter's having two of my cameras at camp... I'm getting serious body envy, I'm looking over to what's dangling round everyone else's necks... yes, the ME SUPER. The picture window of view finders... the riviera of... eh, I'll can it. But now I have a purpose in life: find me a good condition ME SUPER.

Then I can say with my best caveman voice: ME SUPER!
07-22-2008, 03:38 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I absolutely cannot understand "don't want to bring harm to him". With $25+ I can do a lot of other things.

Leave a positive BEFORE I get the item - NEVER.
07-22-2008, 03:54 AM   #10
Veteran Member

I always shoot a roll of film and develop it before leaving feedback when buying a film body
07-22-2008, 05:05 AM   #11
Banned

QuoteQuote:
OK, I'm vulnerable owing to the daughter's having two of my cameras at camp... I'm getting serious body envy, I'm looking over to what's dangling round everyone else's necks... yes, the ME SUPER. The picture window of view finders... the riviera of... eh, I'll can it. But now I have a purpose in life: find me a good condition ME SUPER.

Then I can say with my best caveman voice: ME SUPER!

it cant touch the MX.
07-22-2008, 06:28 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
it cant touch the MX.

who said anything about not wanting a MX as well, immediately when the KX fell in my lap I figured the MX is its natural companion... don't want these cameras to be lonely now do we, right, pasipasi
07-22-2008, 08:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I am sorry you had this experience, Javier. With eBay, it is bound to happen. I have had a few good finds on eBay, but I have been rooked, too. Overall, I would rather not purchase camera goods on eBay. I limit myself now to small items, such as lens caps, manuals, and such. I buy my equipment from KEH. Sometimes, though, the price differential is rather large. For instance, I bought an ME Super on eBay for about $50, and at KEH it would have graded EX+ and thus would have cost over $200. I do not believe in luck, and so I will not say I was "lucky," but this was one of the rare occasions in which I had benefitted by taking a chance on eBay (since the price differential with KEH was so pronounced). It did, though, need a CLA, and so I have about $115 in the camera, overall. I doubt I will ever do this again, as my expereince has shown me that such deals are rather uncommon. Yes, KEH does make mistakes on occasion (only one in the years I have been dealing with them), but thier hassle-free return policy and good customer service make for a nice "safety net."

Regards,
Glen

PS: seamuis: why do you hold that the MX is so much better than the ME Super? Here is my reasoning:

No manual capability vs. manual capability
1/1000 vs. 1/2000 top shutter speed
1/60 vs. 1/125 flash sync speed
1 sec. vs. 4 sec. slow speed

Last edited by zx-m; 07-22-2008 at 08:28 AM. Reason: ps
07-22-2008, 08:48 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
I absolutely cannot understand "don't want to bring harm to him". With $25+ I can do a lot of other things.

Leave a positive BEFORE I get the item - NEVER.
Let me clarify...I left the feedback after I got the item, but before I used it...My bad...

I have had such good luck with eek-bay, that I took my purchase for granted...No more..
07-22-2008, 09:26 AM   #15
Banned

QuoteQuote:
PS: seamuis: why do you hold that the MX is so much better than the ME Super? Here is my reasoning:

No manual capability vs. manual capability
1/1000 vs. 1/2000 top shutter speed
1/60 vs. 1/125 flash sync speed
1 sec. vs. 4 sec. slow speed
DOF preview
interchangeable screens
interchangeable backs
aperture indication in the viewfinder
mechanical (horizontal-run) rubberized silk shutter
0.97 x [95%] viewfinder coverage
fully mechanical

sure it has some downsides compared to the slightly newer ME super but thats only because the super came 4 years later, if the MX had come out at the same time it would have none of those. either way they can be over looked, and for someone who wants a fully manual 35mm camera the MX is the way to go. it was the 'pro' camera, and we all want to feel (and look) like pros right?