Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2016, 08:39 PM - 1 Like   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by drmoss_ca Quote
Bulk loading is very easy when you have a Lloyd loader and a changing bag. You will need a pair of scissors and some masking tape, along with some empty cassettes. The best part is being able to choose how many exposures you want
What he said ^ ^ ^

That being said, I have a strong preference of the Watson loader over the Lloyd. (The Alden 74 mentioned above is a Watson-type loader.) Both are time-honored designs and I have wound many hundreds of feet of film with both types. The problem with the Lloyd is that it has a fabric light trap that must be kept immaculately clean to avoid scratches. Roll length (# of exposure) is a snap on the Watson due to a sprocket-driven counter. There is also the Bobinquick loader which has a dial indicating remaining film in the loader.

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Reusable 35mm film cassettes do wear out after multiple uses. Always examine the light baffle flocking where the film passes out of the cassette for dirt/wear.
This is important. I can still buy cassettes locally or online at Freestyle and other online photography suppliers, but the continued availability is dependent somewhat on market strength, meaning that it is good to support the product by periodic purchase of cassettes.

BTW: The bulk roll is often secured with a fairly long length of very nice plastic tape. I affix that to the outside of the loader and reuse it for attaching the film to the canister spindle. In regards to darkroom vs. changing bag...I wait until night turn out all the house lights and close myself in a windowless room or closet. No light!

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-25-2016 at 08:50 PM.
08-26-2016, 05:12 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can find used Watson and Lloyd loaders on Ebay regularly, by the way, as well as changing bags for a far-from-new price. There is little to go wrong with either so it's not much of a risk. I started bulk loading again a year or so ago and have 3 loaders now and bulk-rolls in various lengths remaining of HP5 Plus (actually I think I may be out of that), Delta 400, Svema Color 125 (a C41 from Film Photography Project - which is another excellent resource for all of this sort stuff mentioned before), 100ft of Cinestill 800, and a roll of the Konica 160 mentioned here also (which I've yet to load and shoot actually).

---------- Post added 08-26-16 at 05:18 AM ----------

Also, FWIW, at $50/100ft, you're looking at well under $3 per 36exp (or thereabouts) roll. A fine deal if the film is fresh and still decent even if a bit aged.

---------- Post added 08-26-16 at 05:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
True, but I'm not throwing away my last 50 feet of expired original AGFA APX100.
You'd be surprised at the excellent results so many get with long expired film.

It's good enough for the majority of users. And what's the alternative?
Kodachrome is gone forever...

Chris
Indeed. Lately I've been shooting a huge amount of Konica Centuria Pro 400, mostly in 220, all of it a decade expired or more, and thus far only one roll showed any fogging, and that was what I would call "tasteful" fogging. Certainly usable. The more reliably frozen rolls I even used to shoot a wedding last month. Results were fantastic really.