Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2016, 04:20 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Spotmatic II viewfinder correction (Dioptre) ?

Hi guys,

I just purchased a nice Spotmatic II (Silver) with a Super-Takumar Super-Multi-Coated 50mm 1.4 and I was wondering if there was any available dioptres for this camera? My eyesight ain't great, I need something around -2.5.

Thank you for your time :-)

08-10-2016, 04:37 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here is a link to the Correction Lens Adapters for pre-M series cameras. There is also a plastic slip-on set of adapters that does not have an eye cup. Note these are legacy items, no longer in production. The similar 'M' accessory will not fit the SpotmaticII viewfinder frame.

Also, most film camera viewfinders are corrected to -1 for viewing the indicators in the VF frame and the focusing screen. I use the amount of correction prescribed for my distance vision +0.5, so in my case +2 rather than +1.5 works very well.
08-10-2016, 05:26 PM   #3
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Here is a link to the Correction Lens Adapters for pre-M series cameras. There is also a plastic slip-on set of adapters that does not have an eye cup. Note these are legacy items, no longer in production.
...and good luck on finding a genuine Pentax item. They have become quite rare. I have also seen a glassless adapter into which you can mount a prescription optic or drugstore lens cut down to fit. It was called "Clip-on Eyepiece" and had part number 761-77. Similar items for contemporary Ricoh, Yashica, and Mamiya may also fit. I found a reference that claimed the Nikon DK-20C will work on a Spotmatic with a little persuasion.

I really need to get one for my Spotmatics and another of the "M" type for my other K-mount bodies (Olympus and Ricoh are both reputed to work).

Steve
08-10-2016, 06:03 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Hard to find. Easy to make. Pick up some reading glasses with the right diopter from the dollar store. Trim a lens to fit and glue it into the recess in the viewfinder using a glue that won't be permanent and won't fog the lens. No crazy glue. This will fit flush with the surface, works well, and costs 50 cents per camera.

08-10-2016, 06:12 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Here is a link to the Correction Lens Adapters for pre-M series cameras. There is also a plastic slip-on set of adapters that does not have an eye cup. Note these are legacy items, no longer in production. The similar 'M' accessory will not fit the SpotmaticII viewfinder frame.

Also, most film camera viewfinders are corrected to -1 for viewing the indicators in the VF frame and the focusing screen. I use the amount of correction prescribed for my distance vision +0.5, so in my case +2 rather than +1.5 works very well.
Thanks for the reply and the info.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
...and good luck on finding a genuine Pentax item. They have become quite rare. I have also seen a glassless adapter into which you can mount a prescription optic or drugstore lens cut down to fit. It was called "Clip-on Eyepiece" and had part number 761-77. Similar items for contemporary Ricoh, Yashica, and Mamiya may also fit. I found a reference that claimed the Nikon DK-20C will work on a Spotmatic with a little persuasion.

I really need to get one for my Spotmatics and another of the "M" type for my other K-mount bodies (Olympus and Ricoh are both reputed to work).

Steve
I'm wondering if the Zenit Diopter could fit? Even if the bracket is too narrow or wide, I could dremel something out.

QuoteOriginally posted by clicksworth Quote
Hard to find. Easy to make. Pick up some reading glasses with the right diopter from the dollar store. Trim a lens to fit and glue it into the recess in the viewfinder using a glue that won't be permanent and won't fog the lens. No crazy glue. This will fit flush with the surface, works well, and costs 50 cents per camera.
Also, I found very interesting article:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/14-general-talk/183114-again-last-night-i...-me-super.html

---------- Post added 08-10-16 at 06:15 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clicksworth Quote
Thank you for the reply, that's a great idea.

Last edited by Helios 1984; 08-10-2016 at 06:18 PM.
08-10-2016, 07:55 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Simplest and best idea is to get right angle adjustable Refconverter II. Works extra well as it has locking mechanism so doesn't fall off.Occasionally on ebay at modest price.Works on Spotmatics and K series but not DSLRs.
09-18-2016, 02:33 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Update.

I bought a 5$ eyecup from jruss71731 (ebay) and fitted a piece of my old glasses.
It's very comfortable and I can see the whole frame instead of hitting the viewfinder with my glasses
Source of the idea here.

Material require:
- Old glasses
- Dremel
- Sharpie
- 15minutes

Note: I think the Spotmatic is already corrected to more or less -1 because when I use my Zenit diopter on my Praktica L-2, I have to set it at -4.5 (to use without glasses) and at approx -3.5 on my Spotmatic.

Mounted on my Spotmatic II

Last edited by Helios 1984; 09-18-2016 at 03:49 PM.
09-18-2016, 03:24 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 84-5 Quote
Update.

I bought a 5$ eyecup from jruss71731 (ebay) and fitted a piece of my old glasses.
It's very comfortable and I can see the whole frame instead of hitting the viewfinder with my glasses
Source of the idea here.

Material require:
- Old glasses
- Dremel
- Sharpie
- 15minutes

Mounted on my Spotmatic II
How is the fit? I could only find one listing for that seller that said "Spotmatic" and it indicated fit for ME Super as well (different size eyepiece, wider than SP).

Eye Cup for Pentax Me Super K1000 Spotmatic Eyecup New | eBay

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-18-2016 at 04:23 PM.
09-18-2016, 03:55 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
How is the fit? I could only find one listing for that seller that said "Spotmatic" and it indicated fit for ME Super as well (different size eyepiece).

Eye Cup for Pentax Me Super K1000 Spotmatic Eyecup New | eBay

Steve
That's the one, I can see my user name in the purchase history.

Tight fit and won't budge (on my spotmatic)
09-18-2016, 04:22 PM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Helios 84-5 Quote
That's the one, I can see my user name in the purchase history.

Tight fit and won't budge (on my spotmatic)
Cool! Thanks!
09-18-2016, 05:10 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Note: If you are suffering from myopia and don't have spare glasses, there is cheap reading glasses available on ebay from -1 to -6.
09-19-2016, 03:29 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great idea fitting cut-out from (reading) glasses. I bought a couple of these for using while wearing glasses. Work fine and nicely made except they don't have locking like the the Refconverter II, so they can be pushed off while you are walking etc. Luckily I noticed and found mine. Some sort of glue or other retainer might want to be considered.
09-19-2016, 10:52 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Original Poster
This morning I did a second piece with the remaining glass (left eye), this one is even better because it's less scratched (due to 7 years of duty on my nose).

Interesting note:
These old glasses were not strong enough for my current sight but teamed with the extra -1 of the Spotmatic's viewfinder, they are nearly as sharp as my current glasses.

Last edited by Helios 1984; 09-19-2016 at 11:00 AM.