Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-28-2016, 08:59 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
There has been a lot of talk in this thread about the merits of mechanical vs electronic cameras and different metering options as well as a ton of other info. The OP stated his requirements as "costing no more than 75 US dollars on eBay? I don't need AF and probably only need Av exposure mode"

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/328005-k-mou...#ixzz4LbzwE9HU

With that in mind, there have been several great suggestions. The ME is VERY affordable. I just purchased a mint SE version in brown leather for $23. Now, it seems to be in perfect working order but I chose to pay for a seal replacement and CLA for about $80 because this camera was so pristine that I deemed it worth the cost for such a beautiful example. If my requirements were as the OP stated, I would look for an ME in the range of about $25 and pay for a DIY seal kit and have fun. THAT would satisfy his stated requirements with the best bang for his buck. Period. End of discussion.

I would not, at this point recommend an MX, KX, or K1000 or anything like that because he said that he shoots almost exclusively in Av mode. An all manual camera would be too much of a change and probably too much of a burden all at once. I WOULD however recommend an ME Super or one of the Program bodies, if they could be found within the budget. The reason is because one aspect of going back to film is that it slows us down and motivates us to think more artistically or creatively about each shot. Because of this, it is likely that the OP may soon realize the limitations of the lack of any manual control in the ME. I have had a total of four ME Supers over the past 30 years and NONE of them has ever given me a lick of trouble. The ME Super can be had for not a huge amount more than the ME, and still well within budget.

My prediction would be that the OP will either find the ME to be adequate for all of his needs and enjoy it greatly OR he will find himself wanting more and eventually gravitate in the direction of the MX/KX and/or the LX. I currently have the ME, ME Super, two MXs, and am targeting an LX, KX, SV, and K as my next purchases. Then I will go for the Canon EOS 3 to go along with my 7D2/5D3 kit and all of my associated L lenses.
I probably didn't make myself clear, but I meant was Aperture priority metering (similar to the Tv shift on Pentax DSLRs) or Av mode. I used to put my camera on Av mode when I was using Sony, but now I almost always put my camera in M and used green button or Sunny f16 after I made the jump to Pentax DSLR.

I have enjoyed my current Sears KSX-P in Av mode, but the way that it uses to set shutter in M mode was too annoying, and I am eyeballing on a second body. Thanks for the information.

P.S. Have just eyeballed the Russian Almaz-103, but can't found one in good conditions. So only got a Volna 50mm f1.8 lens that came with this camera.

09-29-2016, 05:15 PM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I would recommend the Ricoh XR-7 as it meets the original requirements. I don't see many of them but what I have seen are usually very good.

Very similar in size to the ME Super and has the more traditional controls.

Ad from the back page of a magazine.
09-29-2016, 07:02 PM   #63
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
I would recommend the Ricoh XR-7 as it meets the original requirements. I don't see many of them but what I have seen are usually very good.

Very similar in size to the ME Super and has the more traditional controls.

Ad from the back page of a magazine.
Has AE lock and DOF preview too.

Steve
09-29-2016, 07:54 PM   #64
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Has AE lock and DOF preview too.

Steve
A listing on eBay said that the Chinon CG-5 is the same as Ricoh XR-7.

I'm not sure what's going on.

09-29-2016, 09:32 PM   #65
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
A listing on eBay said that the Chinon CG-5 is the same as Ricoh XR-7.

I'm not sure what's going on.
Not the same by feature or appearance, though may share some DNA.

Steve
09-30-2016, 09:35 AM   #66
Forum Member

the XR-7 also sold as the Sears KS-2 is a good choice, but it is almost guaranteed that the door seals will be goo. but it is very easy to install new ones.

As an experiment I have replaced the door seals in one of mine with black cotton yarn, an entire roll can be bought at Jo Ann Fabrics for 5 bucks. For the end seal you can purchase an 8 x 10 sheet of preglued felt and cut your own. I will shoot a roll of cheap color film this weekend and see how well it works

The XR-7 is a very different camera than the CG-5. The chinons of that era are very plasticy compaired to the Ricohs
09-30-2016, 11:09 AM   #67
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ctrout Quote
There has been a lot of talk in this thread about the merits of mechanical vs electronic cameras and different metering options as well as a ton of other info. The OP stated his requirements as "costing no more than 75 US dollars on eBay? I don't need AF and probably only need Av exposure mode"

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/328005-k-mou...#ixzz4LbzwE9HU

With that in mind, there have been several great suggestions. The ME is VERY affordable. I just purchased a mint SE version in brown leather for $23. Now, it seems to be in perfect working order but I chose to pay for a seal replacement and CLA for about $80 because this camera was so pristine that I deemed it worth the cost for such a beautiful example. If my requirements were as the OP stated, I would look for an ME in the range of about $25 and pay for a DIY seal kit and have fun. THAT would satisfy his stated requirements with the best bang for his buck. Period. End of discussion.

I would not, at this point recommend an MX, KX, or K1000 or anything like that because he said that he shoots almost exclusively in Av mode. An all manual camera would be too much of a change and probably too much of a burden all at once. I WOULD however recommend an ME Super or one of the Program bodies, if they could be found within the budget. The reason is because one aspect of going back to film is that it slows us down and motivates us to think more artistically or creatively about each shot. Because of this, it is likely that the OP may soon realize the limitations of the lack of any manual control in the ME. I have had a total of four ME Supers over the past 30 years and NONE of them has ever given me a lick of trouble. The ME Super can be had for not a huge amount more than the ME, and still well within budget.

My prediction would be that the OP will either find the ME to be adequate for all of his needs and enjoy it greatly OR he will find himself wanting more and eventually gravitate in the direction of the MX/KX and/or the LX. I currently have the ME, ME Super, two MXs, and am targeting an LX, KX, SV, and K as my next purchases. Then I will go for the Canon EOS 3 to go along with my 7D2/5D3 kit and all of my associated L lenses.
Checked out the ME, but don't like the idea of Av only. I still want a M mode so I opted the Sears KSX-P as it offers P, Tv, and M. I am also eyeballing on a second body, probably Pentax KM, however I don't know if I can still get the battery for that body.

Sincerely

09-30-2016, 11:22 AM   #68
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kneemeister Quote
As an experiment I have replaced the door seals in one of mine with black cotton yarn, an entire roll can be bought at Jo Ann Fabrics for 5 bucks.
My Soviet rangefinder cameras (Zorki 4K, FED-2, and Kiev 4A) all have yarn seals. That being said, all three have slide-off full removable backs. Yarn seems to work well for that application.

For the end seal you can purchase an 8 x 10 sheet of preglued felt and cut your own.
Caution that the thickness of that felt for the hinge seal is critical.

I appreciate the DIY approach, but while Jon Goodman still sells his most excellent custom kits with all materials in proper widths and thickness,* his product will remain my first choice when doing the seals. It also helps that I can't buy the materials for what he charges (~$10 USD, including postage).

Steve

* The strips for the rear seals are over-length and must be trimmed to size. This is done as a last step as they are laid in the slot. I use a pair of cuticle scissors. Jon usually includes one or two extra strips to allow for wastage.

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-30-2016 at 01:21 PM.
09-30-2016, 11:27 AM   #69
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I am also eyeballing on a second body, probably Pentax KM, however I don't know if I can still get the battery for that body.
The KM uses the readily available SR44 Silver cell.

Steve
09-30-2016, 11:59 AM   #70
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The KM uses the readily available SR44 Silver cell.

Steve
Thanks. Snapped a Program Plus with SMCP-A 50/2 and case. This camera uses SR44s too?

And is there a difference to use LR44 vs SR44?

Sincerely

P.S. I found that I prefer a electro-mechanical shutter/meter combination and LED indicators vs the traditional unlit needle meter.

Last edited by butangmucat; 09-30-2016 at 12:04 PM.
09-30-2016, 12:07 PM   #71
Pentaxian

A great resource for old camera manuals for donations at Butkus Free camera instruction manual
09-30-2016, 12:35 PM   #72
Forum Member

My Soviet rangefinder cameras (Zorki 4K, FED-2, and Kiev 4M) all have yarn seals. That being said, all three have slide-off full removable backs. Yarn seems to work well for that application.

Caution that the thickness of that felt for the hinge seal is critical.

I appreciate the DIY approach, but while Jon Goodman still sells his most excellent custom kits with all materials the proper widths and thickness,* his product will remain my first choice when doing the seals. It also helps that I can't buy the materials for what he charges (~$10 USD, including postage).

Steve

* The strips for the rear seals are over-length an must be trimmed to size. This is done as a last step as they are laid in the slot. I use a pair of cuticle scissors. Jon usually includes one or two extra strips to allow for wastage.
I didn't do it to be cheap, I just wanted to see if it COULD be done Red Green style. I have done several Pentaxes and Ricohs the correct way with kits from US Camera. at around 10.00-12.00 a kit. and i needed three kits to properly do a KR-30sp and XR-P do to miss trimming. I have found that if you get the strips really damp first you have lots of time to work them into proper position before they stick.
That being said I have noticed that on cameras i have sent to Eric he has used the cotton cord for the door seals.
09-30-2016, 01:18 PM - 1 Like   #73
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

And is there a difference to use LR44 vs SR44?
LR44 is an alkaline cell and is inferior for camera use, except in an emergency IMHO.

Steve
09-30-2016, 01:30 PM   #74
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

I didn't do it to be cheap, I just wanted to see if it COULD be done Red Green style
Got it! I have wondered the same thing.

That being said I have noticed that on cameras i have sent to Eric he has used the cotton cord for the door seals.
I had never noticed, but you are right. He did the CLA on both my KX and SV and both have beautifully laid cord in the light-trap grooves.

Steve
09-30-2016, 03:08 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another question is why cameras like the KM is about 200 grams heavier than ones like Program Plus? Is this related to how rugged they are?