Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 13 Likes Search this Thread
08-20-2016, 07:43 AM   #46
Veteran Member

I really like the ME cameras, I've owned a ME, ME-F, and ME Super. The main issue I've found with these is the winder issue, my ME-F is gathering dust because of this. It winds but the shutter won't fire. My ME Super is in pretty good shape and the ME worked like new until I sold it a few years ago. Never had to replace a light seal on one. I have a K1000 that has been in my family since new, its a little beat up and dirty, but still works. With any old camera it would be worth it to send it off and have it CLA'd. I'll probably send my ME-F and ME Super off at some point and when they come back have the K1000 worked on.

Good luck with whatever you buy.

08-20-2016, 09:08 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
An M42 from 1978???!!! Among the Japanese camera brands, this must surely have been the mount's last gasp!
As far as I know the last may have been the Voigtlander Bessaflex TM released in 2003. It does look very desirable!
08-20-2016, 09:35 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It depends on what you really want in a film camera.
I'm a fan of the KX and K2 as a pair. Next to those, the MX and ME.
If you need something cheaper, find an ME Super with 14 day return option. A huge number of them were made and a huge number of those are already broken.
If you don't mind using a motor-wind camera with auto-focus potential, the SF1 and SF1n will do pretty much anything, as will the ZX-50 and its brothers & sisters.
For fun, I have used my DA*50-135 on the ZX-50 in Program mode. It makes a nice film lens if not for the APSC coverage. It vignettes all the way up to 135mm.
08-20-2016, 10:29 AM   #49
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LesDMess Quote
As far as I know the last may have been the Voigtlander Bessaflex TM released in 2003. It does look very desirable!
The Bessaflex was the last (RIP ), though various M42 cameras like those in the Chinon line persisted for many years. I believe the last of those may have been the KMZ Zenit 19 which ceased production in the late 1980s. There may have also been some late running Chinese models as well.

Steve

08-20-2016, 10:47 AM   #50
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
A huge number of them were made and a huge number of those are already broken.
Although the statement above sounds a little cynical, one of the cardinal concepts of vintage gear is that we are working with "survivors". If an older camera is still working, it likely to continue to do so within the limits of its materials and maintainability. I have several 60s-vintage bodies that I have owned for over a decade and which have operated trouble-free and fully functional during that period of ownership.

Steve
08-20-2016, 12:21 PM   #51
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My 60s vintage cameras also work well, except for disintegrating foam that damages prism surfaces and gums up internal parts. Earlier cameras didn't use plastic foam and have held up better. I have a few Leica and Contax from the 1930s that are fine, after some fabric replacements (ribbons and curtains) and CLA. In Pentax I especially like the SV series, although Eric says Spotmatic era made real improvements in shutter adjustments. But I still prefer all mechanical cameras.
08-20-2016, 01:09 PM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
My 60s vintage cameras also work well, except for disintegrating foam that damages prism surfaces and gums up internal parts. Earlier cameras didn't use plastic foam and have held up better. I have a few Leica and Contax from the 1930s that are fine, after some fabric replacements (ribbons and curtains) and CLA. In Pentax I especially like the SV series, although Eric says Spotmatic era made real improvements in shutter adjustments. But I still prefer all mechanical cameras.
I use my SV several times a year, as well as using my 1958 K from time to time just to keep it exercised. The Spotmatics and ES/ES II get less use because they are so close to K series bodies, but after some attention from Eric they work flawlessly and I expect them to outlive me.

08-21-2016, 05:49 AM   #53
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
Used today they are fairly uncommon and still quite pricey. For the same money someone interested in a screwmount SLR could purchase and have overhauled two or more Pentax bodies. And AFAIK Eric wouldn't even touch a Bessaflex!
I guess if I really decided to get a M42 SLR one day, I would just get a serviced SP II or Fuji.

Last edited by butangmucat; 08-21-2016 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Typo correction
08-21-2016, 06:19 AM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Throwback M42 body

Bessaflex is an interesting curiosity. Feature-wise it's an odd mix of old and new.
They didn't sell many; CV buyers were far more interested in the rangefinder models.

There are two versions. One was made to resemble a Pentax, the other a Topcon.
It was a premium-priced body based on the popularly-priced Cosina SLR models.

Though it uses a modern photocell and LED display, metering is stop-down only.
Shutter is mechanical and exposure control is manual only.

Used today they are fairly uncommon and still quite pricey. For the same money
someone interested in a screwmount SLR could purchase and have overhauled
two or more Pentax bodies. And AFAIK Eric wouldn't even touch a Bessaflex!

Chris
08-22-2016, 08:47 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Should be no problem. As I understand the Chinon system, you will set the aperture ring to its smallest setting for P and Tv modes. You can get the camera manual at the link below (donations appreciated):

Sears KSX-P 35mm camera manual

Steve
Suddenly realized this. The menu didn't say (or maybe I have missed something) which metering mode it uses. Is it spot or center-weighed? The thing is that I am so used to multi-segment metering, any suggestions on this?
08-22-2016, 09:01 PM - 1 Like   #56
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
Is it spot or center-weighed? The thing is that I am so used to multi-segment metering, any suggestions on this?
Probably center-weighted. The manual says center-weighted in the specs on the last page. Historically, very few cameras have offered spot metering as an option...it is a specialized tool and not that useful for general shooting. I would not worry too much about center-weighted vs. multi-segment. If the subject is back-lit, just apply a stop or two of exposure compensation.

Steve
09-18-2016, 09:56 PM - 1 Like   #57
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Update: A KSX-P in Excellent Condition Indeed

QuoteOriginally posted by kneemeister Quote
My newest M42 is a Chinon SLR, yes SLR is the model, from 1978 and it's seals are still good.

---------- Post added 08-19-16 at 01:04 PM ----------

Only thing to watch for is corroded battery contacts in the grip/ battery holder. But because it is removable you can soak it in vinegar to clean it up. I may have a spare CP-7m in a drawer,. If so I will be happy to give to you for postage.
So I took it out for a trip last weekend along with my new K-S2. It is pretty solid. I didn't like the strap it came with so I replaced it with a Op/Tech USA generic strap. Took my Pentacon 30/3.5 with it and the overall flow is pretty natural. I am using 3 eneloops for this camera.

Probably considering getting another body - I would like to have one body with color film and another with B&W, but taking three cameras out is a hassle.
09-21-2016, 08:54 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kneemeister Quote
program mode on ANY K-mount lens
Does this apply to lens w/o aperture ring too? I am considering a DA40 Ltd and would like to know if my Chinon CP-5 (Sears KSX-P) can take it (even if just in P mode).

Sincerely
09-28-2016, 07:43 PM   #59
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by butangmucat Quote
Does this apply to lens w/o aperture ring too? I am considering a DA40 Ltd and would like to know if my Chinon CP-5 (Sears KSX-P) can take it (even if just in P mode).

Sincerely
It would have to have the apeture ring as it still uses the mechanical step down lever to set the apeture. I have a CP-5 and a KSX-P and they are not exactly the same model the rewind knob is different as is the shape of the top cover.
Sorry i didnt respond sooner but I was on a vacation/work trip to Raligh NC via New York and Washington, on Amtrak all last week.....I took along my trusty CP-7 with 28 mm Pentax A lens loaded with Kentmere 400, in the backpack beside my K-3ii. I alos had my like new ME along loaded with Ektar, but do to crappy weather all week in NC never got a chance to even take it out.
09-28-2016, 08:42 PM - 1 Like   #60
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There has been a lot of talk in this thread about the merits of mechanical vs electronic cameras and different metering options as well as a ton of other info. The OP stated his requirements as "costing no more than 75 US dollars on eBay? I don't need AF and probably only need Av exposure mode"

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/8-pentax-film-slr-discussion/328005-k-mou...#ixzz4LbzwE9HU

With that in mind, there have been several great suggestions. The ME is VERY affordable. I just purchased a mint SE version in brown leather for $23. Now, it seems to be in perfect working order but I chose to pay for a seal replacement and CLA for about $80 because this camera was so pristine that I deemed it worth the cost for such a beautiful example. If my requirements were as the OP stated, I would look for an ME in the range of about $25 and pay for a DIY seal kit and have fun. THAT would satisfy his stated requirements with the best bang for his buck. Period. End of discussion.

I would not, at this point recommend an MX, KX, or K1000 or anything like that because he said that he shoots almost exclusively in Av mode. An all manual camera would be too much of a change and probably too much of a burden all at once. I WOULD however recommend an ME Super or one of the Program bodies, if they could be found within the budget. The reason is because one aspect of going back to film is that it slows us down and motivates us to think more artistically or creatively about each shot. Because of this, it is likely that the OP may soon realize the limitations of the lack of any manual control in the ME. I have had a total of four ME Supers over the past 30 years and NONE of them has ever given me a lick of trouble. The ME Super can be had for not a huge amount more than the ME, and still well within budget.

My prediction would be that the OP will either find the ME to be adequate for all of his needs and enjoy it greatly OR he will find himself wanting more and eventually gravitate in the direction of the MX/KX and/or the LX. I currently have the ME, ME Super, two MXs, and am targeting an LX, KX, SV, and K as my next purchases. Then I will go for the Canon EOS 3 to go along with my 7D2/5D3 kit and all of my associated L lenses.