Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-24-2016, 08:11 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Pentax ME-F?

I stumbled across one of these today (mislabeled on Gumtree) and got curious...

Does anyone know much about them? Apparently Pentax's first AF body, based on an ME? and somewhat rare... Unfortunately it looks like this one is bundled with a M50/f1.7 rather than the dedicated AF zoom.

I don't have much use for it myself but can get the link if anyone has a collectors interest

08-24-2016, 08:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
IIRC it gives AF confirmation signals even without the dedicated lens and even tells you which way to turn the focus ring, which for some people might be reason enough to want it.
08-24-2016, 08:24 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nickthetasmaniac Quote
Apparently Pentax's first AF body, based on an ME?
You are correct, Pentax's first AF body.
Somewhat Rare camera to find, especially one with the correct SMC Pentax-AF 35-70mm f/2.8 lens, in working order.
Excellent lens optically, BTW, though bulky in size. There is one for sale on eBay right now.

The ME-F will work just fine with the M50/f1.7 lens. An added bonus, the ME-F will confirm focus lock with a 'beep' and a focus indicator in the viewfinder (green dot I think).

I have two ME-Fs and 35-70mm AF lenses. The camera/lens combos auto focus just fine in good light, but a little slow by today's AF standards.

Last edited by Moe49; 08-30-2016 at 09:40 AM.
08-24-2016, 08:26 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pathdoc Quote
IIRC it gives AF confirmation signals even without the dedicated lens and even tells you which way to turn the focus ring, which for some people might be reason enough to want it.
What he said ^ ^ ^

That practical bit and the novelty of owning one of the first PDAF (Edit: contrast detect) AF bodies are both good reasons for picking one up. Too bad the motor-in-body AF 35-70/2.8 is missing in action. I am not sure, but I seem to remember at least one forum member who had both body and lens and enjoyed shooting the combo.

If condition is decent and price is under $70 USD, M 50/1.7 included, I would definitely consider the purchase.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 08-24-2016 at 09:11 AM.
08-24-2016, 08:54 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
What he said ^ ^ ^

That practical bit and the novelty of owning one of the first PDAF bodies are both good reasons for picking one up. Too bad the motor-in-body AF 35-70/2.8 is missing in action. I am not sure, but I seem to remember at least one forum member who had both body and lens and enjoyed shooting the combo.

If condition is decent and price is under $70 USD, M 50/1.7 included, I would definitely consider the purchase.

Steve
It was not PDAF. It used contrast detect...Minolta was the first PDAF (stole it from Honeywell).
08-24-2016, 09:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Interesting bit of history. How much do you thing a body with lens and winder is worth? I found one that looks brand new but the price is 330€.

I would like to own a piece of pentax history but for that price i would rather buy something i use
08-24-2016, 09:09 AM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
It was not PDAF. It used contrast detect...Minolta was the first PDAF (stole it from Honeywell).
My mistake

The worst part is that I actually know that

Steve

08-24-2016, 10:56 AM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I stumbled across one of these today (mislabeled on Gumtree) and got curious...

Does anyone know much about them? Apparently Pentax's first AF body, based on an ME? and somewhat rare... Unfortunately it looks like this one is bundled with a M50/f1.7 rather than the dedicated AF zoom.

I don't have much use for it myself but can get the link if anyone has a collectors interest
It's certainly a fun collector's item, especially when paired with the AF zoom

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-24-2016, 11:20 AM   #9

The ME-F was my first SLR and it is still in working order after more than 30 years. Only paired with the M50 f1.7 though.
08-24-2016, 01:42 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Pentax ME-F. It is an interesting curiosity.
I have never owned the dedicated AF 35-70/2.8 lens.

I have used it with manual focus lenses only, with which it works well.
Used in this fashion it is basically an ME Super with the additional feature of focus confirmation.

That said it's not my favorite Pentax; I was never a fan of the ME Super either.
I have a real hard time warming up to bodies without depth-of-field preview.

Chris
08-24-2016, 04:52 PM   #11
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
After two tries on ebay, I finally got a perfect one on Shopgoodwill also with the M 1.7 lens. It is currently having its turn in the camera bag loaded with Tri-X, Along with my Ektar loaded MX and Kentmere 100 loaded Electro 35. For all intents and purposes its a very slightly larger ME Super. I cant say why I like it so much, but I do.
08-24-2016, 08:35 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote

Steve
Well here it is, $75AUD for a 'very old Pentax camera'

Camera | Non Digital Cameras | Gumtree Australia Ku-ring-gai Area - Wahroonga | 1121832112
08-26-2016, 07:45 PM   #13
Pentaxian

If it has the lens with it, be the M50/1.7 or similar, go for it
I got mine years ago for next to nothign and used it for a while

08-27-2016, 10:53 PM   #14

Does anyone know if the focusing screen of the MEF is interchangeable with the one of the MX? I got a MEF yesterday for the equivalent of 25 euro and it's great apart from the black gunk on the focusing screen. I'll try to clean it up but I would much prefer if I could replace it with a new one but the only ones I can find are for the MX/LX.
08-28-2016, 05:28 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

AFAIK the ME-F focusing screen is fixed and not user serviceable.
Major disassembly may be required for replacement.

That "black gunk" is typically remains of degraded mirror bumper foam.
The screen is plastic and can be easily scratched or otherwise damaged.
Careful cleaning with a mild non-damaging solvent might be a better choice.

I suggest you have this work done by an experienced camera service person.
If you choose to do it yourself be careful not to damage the mirror,
or get any cleaner between the focusing screen and pentaprism.

Of course you will also want to replace that mirror bumper foam afterwards.
FWIW camera back/film door light seals probably need replacement too.

Chris