Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2016, 04:14 PM   #1

Washed out images.

So I got my first roll from my K1000 back and all the pictures seem to be washed out. The colors are just dull. Now this is the same film that I always use, processed in the same shop, using the same lens as my MG and I didn't have this issue.

This camera has been a bit of a pain. Picked it up cheap at a flea market, and it at first was a little tricky getting it to wind right, sometimes it winds but doesn't act like it, and the film broke off of the roll so this was saved in a dark box. I like the camera, so if this is something that a service may fix or something simple I'll probably keep it, but if it's a money pit I'd rather realize that now when I have quite a few working cameras hat I can use instead.

So here's a photo as an example. It made some wedding pictures look really cool, but I wouldn't want it to happen all the time.

08-29-2016, 04:42 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I tinkered with the image and with the most minor of levels adjustment - auto levels works too, this comes out very well. Of course you have to adjust colors/contrast to suit your taste.

What film is this and how was it scanned - mini lab or at home with an Epson, Canon or other?
08-29-2016, 04:56 PM   #3

Original Poster
It was just some Kodak ultra max, but this is the first time experiencing things that needed adjustments like this. This was one of the better examples. I don't know the scanning process, the shops processes and puts them on a disk for me. Other rolls have had vibrant colors and I've been a big fan of them, so when t was different after the 1st roll through this one I wanted to make sure I'm not throwing film away for the sake of a smaller all manual camera.
08-29-2016, 06:00 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
How are the negatives, do they show signs of over exposure (very dark), or under exposure (light or "thin")? If so that could indicate problems with the meter or the shutter timing.

08-29-2016, 06:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not sure about the washed out photos. To me it looks like the meter may be off a touch causing a bit of over exposure. A trip to Eric sounds like it may be in order, for a CLA (clean, lube and adjust). That should take care of the winding issues as well. The K1000 is a fun camera I still have and use mine on occasion.
There is an awful lot of dirt in the scan you posted. Is it on/in the negatives as well or just the scans ? Makes me wonder about the scanner.
08-29-2016, 07:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Cthulhugan Quote
How are the negatives, do they show signs of over exposure (very dark), or under exposure (light or "thin")? If so that could indicate problems with the meter or the shutter timing.
+1

Can you post a photo of the negs? There's a handy app called 'Leuchtpult' if you don't have a light table (turns your tablet into a makeshift light table)...

Otherwise, all I can think of is that when they scanned they set up the profile to take literally all contrast out of the jpegs. I loaded it into Lightroom and there's nothing at all on the left-hand side of the histogram (blacks).

On another point, it this was a professional scan, why's it so bl*^dy dirty? Are the black dots on all your shots?
08-29-2016, 07:57 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Underexposed and/or under-developed. It is difficult to say without seeing the negatives.

...scanned through the wrong side???

Steve
08-30-2016, 04:31 AM   #8

Original Poster
The dots and whatever it was on be film seems to be on all of them but got progressively worse towards the end of the roll where it split/broke off. I kinda chalked it up to that or possibly something dirty in the camera.

I'll have to check out a way to post up the negatives, but from just a visual comparison so another batch of negatives I had around, they look off, less detail or shadowing.

Thanks for the help so far guys

08-30-2016, 10:47 AM   #9
Pentaxian

It doesn't look like a overexposed camera meter problem to me. I see no blown highlights or low values with extra exposure. It looks like a scanning/adjustment problem.
09-01-2016, 12:17 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Yes, this looks like the blacks were completely out on the scan. It's unlikely to be overexposure since there don't appear to be any blown out highlights. It may be that the photos were dark and the scanner did a poor job of lightening them by bringing the blacks right up and washing everything out.
Can you compare your K1000's meter to another camera that you know to be accurate?

As I understand it, winding problems are fairly common in well-used K1000s, and are the fault of a particular gear in the system. It's a serviceable part, so if that and the meter are both a bit wonky, and you like the camera, it would probably be worth sending off for a service.