Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-02-2016, 02:41 PM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by nicholas411 Quote
won;t it be very grainy ?
depends on the film, porta400 and fuji 400h have very fine grain but can be overexposed 2 stops to reduce shadow grain even more at the cost of contrast, in my opinion both these films are designed for quick workflow (wedding events, fashion etc)

fujifilm Superia 400 is ok but i find its colour rendering to close to digital point and shoots when processed in the fuji minilab's and doesn't play ball when you try and develop it yourself with kodak flexcolour or tetenal c41 press kit or rollei digibase

the best films I've come across when it comes to grain or colour

the no longer produced lucky iso100 c41 (bad ineffective anti halation layer, made people look like they were glowing)

Fuji Reala 100 (contrast overload with cool color temp when developed in rollei digibase)

kodak cine stock exr 50d (very warm colours)

cinestill 50daylight (richest blues and non exsistant grain)

kodak ultra colour 100 (gives portra400vc a run for its money with finer grain and more vivid colour)

09-02-2016, 04:57 PM   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi
I'm thinking to change to zeiss zk for use with pentax k1000. i am interested to hear what your thoughts are about the 50mm or 35mm. i am currently using pentax 50mm and im looking to improve the colour and out of focus areas.

you can see samples here.

Nic Hughes film photo Gallery - pentax k1000 50mm 1.4 kodak color plus fuji frontier scan - Google Photos
The ZK lenses have their fans, though I am not sure they provide sufficient pixie dust to justify the premium price over similar Voigtlander or manual focus Pentax product or even vintage Carl Zeiss Jena or Leitax conversion on C/Y mount Zeiss. In particular regard to the Distagon 35/2, I seriously considered purchase of that lens but chose the Pentax FA 35/2 instead. The difference in price was not borne out in performance. The main advantage of the Distagon is bokeh, though for 35mm on the K1000, that is not as critical a characteristic.

I am going to suggest something heretical. Why not find a good Pancolar 50/1.8? The later models are multi-coated and I believe that all the Jena lenses were made with Schott glass. Even more radical might be a CZJ Tessar 50/2.8, also available with multi-coating on the later models.

For 35mm focal length on your K1000, I would consider the Pentax-K 35/2 and CZJ Flektogon 35/2.4 as options along with the ZK Distagon.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-02-2016 at 05:04 PM.
09-02-2016, 05:00 PM   #33
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratcheteer Quote
dont really need to know anyone's opinion when it comes to the 1.4/35 distagon (if you can afford it get it, you wont be disappointed)
Not available in Pentax mount.

Steve
09-02-2016, 05:12 PM   #34
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
And I like having some Zeiss glass in my lens line up. And if you're going to want to get into that brand, I'd suggest getting another camera in a mount that Zeiss supports.
...or one where there is more product available used. That being said there are currently three ZK Distagon 35/2 on eBay in NEW (two @ $728 USD B-I-N) or EX+ ($887 USD or best offer) condition shipped from Japan. Those are both very competitive prices.

Steve

09-02-2016, 05:18 PM   #35
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Those are both very competitive prices.
More attractive IMHO, are the two Pentax-K 35/2 in EX+ condition for under $300.

Steve
09-02-2016, 05:33 PM   #36
Pentaxian

...or one where there is more product available used. That being said there are currently three ZK Distagon 35/2 on eBay in NEW (two @ $728 USD B-I-N) or EX+ ($887 USD or best offer) condition shipped from Japan. Those are both very competitive prices.

Steve
But is it just a lucky time for looking for a ZK? Speaking from past experience, it was hit, miss and wait to find a ZK in the focal length I interested in. With a Zeiss supported mount camera you now have a larger field in which to buy and sell your gear. And that goes for trade-ins at a camera store too. Glazers here in Seattle I've traded lots of gear and the mount matters to them.

If you can pick up another 35mm camera cheap enough, it is an option that is worth considering.
09-02-2016, 05:39 PM - 1 Like   #37
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There's an SMC Pentax (K) 35/3.5 lens currently for sale in Pentax Forums Marketplace.
Image quality of this model is superb, and at around $100 it's a real bargain.

Chris

09-02-2016, 07:10 PM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisPlatt Quote
There's an SMC Pentax (K) 35/3.5 lens currently for sale in Pentax Forums Marketplace.
Image quality of this model is superb, and at around $100 it's a real bargain.

Chris
+1

One of the all time Pentax gems! Small, sharp, good handling and well built! How often does that happen in a lens that was considered a "budget" model when it was released....

Phil.
09-02-2016, 08:04 PM   #39
nicholas411

I have a selection of Zeiss glass. Not in ZK mount anymore. And of course I have a bunch of them for my 500C/M but also 18/3.5, 21/2.8 in small format F-mount and 35/2 plus 25/2.8 in M-mount. They all pretty much render color warmer than my other lenses of several different brands.

And I like having some Zeiss glass in my lens line up. And if you're going to want to get into that brand, I'd suggest getting another camera in a mount that Zeiss supports.

Grain in 400 film is relative. On my Pentax 6x7 it takes a good-size print to notice it. Here is the new Portra 400 example with Pentax glass

thank you....i'm considering getting an m6
09-02-2016, 08:14 PM   #40
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

If you can pick up another 35mm camera cheap enough, it is an option that is worth considering.
Very much so. I was quite surprised to see those ZK on eBay too. I agree that if one must have the glass, an F-mount SLR (e.g. FM2) is probably the most cost-effective means to build a Z-series Zeiss kit.

Steve
09-02-2016, 08:52 PM   #41
nicholas411

The ZK lenses have their fans, though I am not sure they provide sufficient pixie dust to justify the premium price over similar Voigtlander or manual focus Pentax product or even vintage Carl Zeiss Jena or Leitax conversion on C/Y mount Zeiss. In particular regard to the Distagon 35/2, I seriously considered purchase of that lens but chose the Pentax FA 35/2 instead. The difference in price was not borne out in performance. The main advantage of the Distagon is bokeh, though for 35mm on the K1000, that is not as critical a characteristic.

I am going to suggest something heretical. Why not find a good Pancolar 50/1.8? The later models are multi-coated and I believe that all the Jena lenses were made with Schott glass. Even more radical might be a CZJ Tessar 50/2.8, also available with multi-coating on the later models.

For 35mm focal length on your K1000, I would consider the Pentax-K 35/2 and CZJ Flektogon 35/2.4 as options along with the ZK Distagon.

Steve
Thanks Steve
09-02-2016, 09:17 PM   #42
Pentaxian

For my own uses, the Pentax glass is very, very good. There may be some minor benefit to spending the much higher prices for Zeiss glass but I think you are paying a lot just for the name.

And I agree 100% regarding the Pentax 35mm 3.5 lens. It certainly performs way above its price. One of those little gems that is able to hide in the background. No one wants it because of its slow aperture but it has produced some beautiful images imho.
09-03-2016, 04:11 AM   #43
nicholas411

QuoteOriginally posted by GateCityRadio Quote
In my opinion those images you have look good, a couple look like the focus is slightly off...If you want to change the color you probably want to change the type of film you are using. Kodak color plus is cheap, but not the best film available. Portra 160 will give you more neutral colors and is best for taking portraits, Ektar 100 has more vibrant colors and imo is best used for landscapes. A simple change in film would go a long way here. Zeiss makes very good lenses and you might see sharper images, better contrast, and more of that 3D look...but it won't change the colors much, if at all.
i just took a look at some photos a took 2 years ago using fuji 400h ..... the colours are amazing......so i'm going to try this film again rather than upgrade just yet....i'm also now interested in this pentax 35mm lens people are saying is awesome
09-03-2016, 06:33 AM   #44
Pentaxian

thank you....i'm considering getting an m6
Used glass in general on the M-mount can be expensive. It's not like all the great deals you can get in your K-mount. My copy of the Zeiss 35/2 is an okay lens. The cheaper you get it the better it is kind of a thing. The 25/2.8 is a sharp lens though. I can't say about the 50mm except for what the reviews say about it.

Last edited by tuco; 09-03-2016 at 07:08 AM.
09-03-2016, 03:16 PM   #45
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Used glass in general on the M-mount can be expensive.
Unless one is shooting adapted Soviet-made LTM, all M-mount stuff seems to be expensive. I would love to have a 25mm or 28mm for my Bessa R3M, but prices don't follow quality or condition in that space.

Steve