Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
09-01-2016, 12:15 AM   #1
nicholas411

Zeiss Lens on k1000

Hi
I'm thinking to change to zeiss zk for use with pentax k1000. i am interested to hear what your thoughts are about the 50mm or 35mm. i am currently using pentax 50mm and im looking to improve the colour and out of focus areas.

you can see samples here.

https://500px.com/slimnics/galleries/farmer

Last edited by nicholas411; 12-04-2016 at 08:39 PM.
09-01-2016, 01:21 AM   #2

when it comes to colour film stock and development process plays a huge roll in colour rendition, generally the slower the film the better the colour
09-01-2016, 01:42 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Years ago, my room mate had a Yashica SLR and switched from the stock Yashinon 50mm to a Zeiss 50mm. Kyocera at the time owned both companies and no conversion was needed. In terms of color, I did not see a significant difference other than reduced to no chromatic aberration. But in B&W, the improved sharpness and tonal range from the Zeiss was huge.

Iʻm not sure which Pentax 50mm youʻre using, but from my experience, they are all better in terms of sharpness, vignetting, color rendition, etc, then the Yashinon, but the Zeiss will still be in a league of itʻs own.

Sorry, no opinion/experience on 35mm for 35mm film. However on medium format 645, the Pentax SMC Pentax-A 35mm f/3.5 is a gem of a wide angle and one of my two favorite primes.
09-01-2016, 01:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

In my opinion those images you have look good, a couple look like the focus is slightly off...If you want to change the color you probably want to change the type of film you are using. Kodak color plus is cheap, but not the best film available. Portra 160 will give you more neutral colors and is best for taking portraits, Ektar 100 has more vibrant colors and imo is best used for landscapes. A simple change in film would go a long way here. Zeiss makes very good lenses and you might see sharper images, better contrast, and more of that 3D look...but it won't change the colors much, if at all.

09-01-2016, 01:48 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Sorry, no opinion/experience on 35mm for 35mm film.
dont really need to know anyone's opinion when it comes to the 1.4/35 distagon (if you can afford it get it, you wont be disappointed)

QuoteOriginally posted by GateCityRadio Quote
In my opinion those images you have look good, a couple look like the focus is slightly off...If you want to change the color you probably want to change the type of film you are using. Kodak color plus is cheap, but not the best film available. Portra 160 will give you more neutral colors and is best for taking portraits, Ektar 100
if your feeling adventurous and trust your cameras metering is up to the task, you could try agfa rsx chrome and velvia, and other e6 films

Last edited by Ratcheteer; 09-01-2016 at 01:53 AM.
09-01-2016, 01:50 AM   #6
nicholas411

QuoteOriginally posted by Ratcheteer Quote
when it comes to colour film stock and development process plays a huge roll in colour rendition, generally the slower the film the better the colour
thanks...i'm trying out 10 rolls of pro image 100...see how that goes.

---------- Post added 09-01-16 at 01:50 AM ----------

dont really need to know anyone's opinion when it comes to the 1.4/35 distagon (if you can afford it get it, you wont be disappointed)
ok thanks for the insight

---------- Post added 09-01-16 at 01:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by GateCityRadio Quote
In my opinion those images you have look good, a couple look like the focus is slightly off...If you want to change the color you probably want to change the type of film you are using. Kodak color plus is cheap, but not the best film available. Portra 160 will give you more neutral colors and is best for taking portraits, Ektar 100 has more vibrant colors and imo is best used for landscapes. A simple change in film would go a long way here. Zeiss makes very good lenses and you might see sharper images, better contrast, and more of that 3D look...but it won't change the colors much, if at all.
thanks...yeh...good idea. i will try some different film
09-01-2016, 02:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

if your feeling adventurous and trust your cameras metering is up to the task, you could try agfa rsx chrome and velvia, and other e6 films
I've shot velvia in the past, but cross processed it.

09-01-2016, 02:39 AM   #8
Tas
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nicholas411 Quote
Hi
I'm thinking to change to zeiss zk for use with pentax k1000. i am interested to hear what your thoughts are about the 50mm or 35mm. i am currently using pentax 50mm and im looking to improve the colour and out of focus areas.

you can see samples here.

Nic Hughes film photo Gallery - pentax k1000 50mm 1.4 kodak color plus fuji frontier scan - Google Photos
G'Day Nic,

I can't comment on film, but noticed that the Zeiss Distagon T* 1,4/35mm was mentioned by another forum member.

The Zeiss Distagon T* 1,4/35mm is only available in ZE (Canon) and ZF/ZF2 (Nikon) mounts and was never made in Pentax K mount. The Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35mm certainly was made in ZK mount and as an owner of one of those lenses I can say it is a wonderful lens and agree with Ratcheteer; you won't be disappointed.

The Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50mm and Makro Planar T* 2/50mm were both made in ZK mount. If this focal length interests you there is likely to be a couple of 1.4/50 ZK's that will come up on ebay each year, maybe one 2/50 ZK, if you're lucky. I have the 2/50, it is a brilliant lens and again, you won't be disappointed if you wait out for one. Just don't hold your breath.

From the other comments there seems to be some options to pursue with film and certainly these are cheaper options to try. If you are still interested in a Zeiss lens in K mount the 2/35 is the most likely option to be available now as there's usually some for sale on ebay regularly.

beyond this there is also another option to consider that became available a couple of months ago. The Leitax team recently introduced a K mount conversion for the Nikon mount Zeiss ZF/ZF2 lenses (it also works with other manual Nikon lenses too). This opens up options and means you can look at both of the Zeiss 35mm and 50mm options. This even includes the latest Zeiss Milvus weather sealed lenses.

The link to the Leitax website is here: Nikon and Zeiss ZF lenses for Pentax cameras Check out this thread for some of the experiences of forum members who've fitted the Leitax ZF to K mount adaptors: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/227446-carl-zeiss-t-zk-mou...ro-planar.html
Good luck with it mate.

Tas
09-01-2016, 03:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian

How about upgrading Pentax to... Pentax? Limiteds ate much easier to find than ZK lenses and I believe that they would compare well
09-01-2016, 04:10 AM   #10
nicholas411

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
How about upgrading Pentax to... Pentax? Limiteds ate much easier to find than ZK lenses and I believe that they would compare well
wondering if you had any links to examples, as i've not heard of that .thanks

---------- Post added 09-01-16 at 04:11 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
G'Day Nic,

I can't comment on film, but noticed that the Zeiss Distagon T* 1,4/35mm was mentioned by another forum member.

The Zeiss Distagon T* 1,4/35mm is only available in ZE (Canon) and ZF/ZF2 (Nikon) mounts and was never made in Pentax K mount. The Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35mm certainly was made in ZK mount and as an owner of one of those lenses I can say it is a wonderful lens and agree with Ratcheteer; you won't be disappointed.

The Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/50mm and Makro Planar T* 2/50mm were both made in ZK mount. If this focal length interests you there is likely to be a couple of 1.4/50 ZK's that will come up on ebay each year, maybe one 2/50 ZK, if you're lucky. I have the 2/50, it is a brilliant lens and again, you won't be disappointed if you wait out for one. Just don't hold your breath.

From the other comments there seems to be some options to pursue with film and certainly these are cheaper options to try. If you are still interested in a Zeiss lens in K mount the 2/35 is the most likely option to be available now as there's usually some for sale on ebay regularly.

beyond this there is also another option to consider that became available a couple of months ago. The Leitax team recently introduced a K mount conversion for the Nikon mount Zeiss ZF/ZF2 lenses (it also works with other manual Nikon lenses too). This opens up options and means you can look at both of the Zeiss 35mm and 50mm options. This even includes the latest Zeiss Milvus weather sealed lenses.

The link to the Leitax website is here: Nikon and Zeiss ZF lenses for Pentax cameras Check out this thread for some of the experiences of forum members who've fitted the Leitax ZF to K mount adaptors: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/122-lens-clubs/227446-carl-zeiss-t-zk-mou...ro-planar.html
Good luck with it mate.

Tas
thanks
09-01-2016, 04:54 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I might suggest also considering the older Contax Carl Zeiss in the C/Y mount (particularly the MM variant). They are indeed older, however you can acquire them substantially cheaper for the most part. You can change the mount from the C/Y to the K mount with the Leitax.com mount kit (fully reversible). If you don't feel like doing it, Eric or David at Leitax can do it for you. What was made and available are:
  • 35mm F1.4 Distagon
  • 35mm F2.8 Distagon
  • 50mm F1.4 Planar
  • 50mm F1.7 Planar
Complete sets have been collected, especially over in LA - Hollywood and then rented out for films and commercials, particularly using Canon and RED bodies.

So, there is an alternative.... You use to be able to find them on Craigslist and Ebay. I have two that I have remounted, the 28/f2.8 and the 85/f2.8 - wonderful lenses! I also have a ZK 25/f2.8. The ZK's are overbuilt by a factor of 10, massive and heavy. The Contax's are merely overbuilt on the order of the Tak's.

Last edited by interested_observer; 09-01-2016 at 05:07 AM.
09-01-2016, 05:18 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Couple of things: I won't comment on the 'better lens' theory except to say I once owned a distagon 25/2.8 in Rollei SL mount, and it was a great, great lens. What others said about the film, and your page of images linked above -- look to me like 'raw' scans with no PP. There appear to be latitude issues (not uncommon with slower color neg. film), with blocked shadows and blown highlights in contrasty scenes (several appear to be underexposed). So I would suggest you try a faster color film (400 is an excellent all-rounder), and some PP first. Also, IME Fuji film works better on Fuji lab scanners especially in terms of color. But that is largely correctable in PP. Regardless, if IQ is really, really important to you then you may want to consider going to a better lab, or purchasing a quality film scanner. I see this as the bigger issue with the images you linked to.
09-01-2016, 05:31 AM   #13
nicholas411

QuoteOriginally posted by dsmithhfx Quote
Couple of things: I won't comment on the 'better lens' theory except to say I once owned a distagon 25/2.8 in Rollei SL mount, and it was a great, great lens. What others said about the film, and your page of images linked above -- look to me like 'raw' scans with no PP. There appear to be latitude issues (not uncommon with slower color neg. film), with blocked shadows and blown highlights in contrasty scenes (several appear to be underexposed). So I would suggest you try a faster color film (400 is an excellent all-rounder), and some PP first. Also, IME Fuji film works better on Fuji lab scanners especially in terms of color. But that is largely correctable in PP. Regardless, if IQ is really, really important to you then you may want to consider going to a better lab, or purchasing a quality film scanner. I see this as the bigger issue with the images you linked to.
ok, thanks.

---------- Post added 09-01-16 at 05:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I might suggest also considering the older Contax Carl Zeiss in the C/Y mount (particularly the MM variant). They are indeed older, however you can acquire them substantially cheaper for the most part. You can change the mount from the C/Y to the K mount with the Leitax.com mount kit (fully reversible). If you don't feel like doing it, Eric or David at Leitax can do it for you. What was made and available are:
  • 35mm F1.4 Distagon
  • 35mm F2.8 Distagon
  • 50mm F1.4 Planar
  • 50mm F1.7 Planar
Complete sets have been collected, especially over in LA - Hollywood and then rented out for films and commercials, particularly using Canon and RED bodies.

So, there is an alternative.... You use to be able to find them on Craigslist and Ebay. I have two that I have remounted, the 28/f2.8 and the 85/f2.8 - wonderful lenses! I also have a ZK 25/f2.8. The ZK's are overbuilt by a factor of 10, massive and heavy. The Contax's are merely overbuilt on the order of the Tak's.

thank you
09-01-2016, 06:11 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Originally posted by ChristianRock Quote

thanks